: Stupid Question about the armrest?

thefly
12-21-05, 10:03 AM
does this thing lock into place at all, or is mine broken? seemed kind of useless...

benh
12-21-05, 10:14 AM
it's likely broken, mine just broke too; it used to stop on the way down just before the base, but now it gtoes all the down and hits the base; I think this is fairly common and I understand that they improved the design with the 06

ewill3rd
12-21-05, 10:17 AM
It has plastic detents to keep it up or down but it does not "lock" into place.
You can pop the side covers off the hinge to see if anything is broken.
They just snap off and back into place.

benh
12-21-05, 10:18 AM
I just noticed you have the 06! maybe that is the redesign, intentionally not stopping . . . the 04-05s used to stop just before hitting the base, intentionally and if you lean on it with too much pressure, it would just break and hit the base; mine has done so and I can hear a piece of plastic moving around in the tilt mechanism.

thefly
12-21-05, 10:46 AM
yeah sounds like the solution was to not make it do that anymore on 06's, thanks gm. just annoying cause i use the armrest, and it is now pretty much useless. i thought it might work like the one in the beetles, where you put it all the way down then raise it up to the desired position...

oh well, i will have to punisher her on the way home and teach that car a lesson. :histeric:

LV_V
12-21-05, 02:41 PM
i thought it might work like the one in the beetles, where you put it all the way down then raise it up to the desired position...

That would be a logical solution; we are forgetting that it is GM we're talking about here. :rolleyes:

Flyboy
12-21-05, 06:25 PM
Buy the cts (not V) armrest and install it.....easy to do....makes a world of difference.....lotsa' guys have done this here on the forum.....

Luna.
12-21-05, 07:05 PM
Buy the cts (not V) armrest and install it.....easy to do....makes a world of difference.....lotsa' guys have done this here on the forum.....

I did here and I would recommend that in a second. The CTS armrest is vastly superior

ctsvett
12-21-05, 09:01 PM
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/armrest/index.html

Word...

Reed

new2here
12-21-05, 09:08 PM
you guys that did the armrest conversion - does the higher CTS armrest interfere with the shifting of the V?

Luna.
12-21-05, 09:17 PM
you guys that did the armrest conversion - does the higher CTS armrest interfere with the shifting of the V?

No. :cool2:

10secvette
12-21-05, 09:20 PM

I just did it yesterday. Great mod and no it does not.

Flyboy
12-21-05, 10:23 PM
No!!!!!

ewill3rd
12-22-05, 08:05 AM
I did at least one of these for a customer. Not sure why they put that skimpy armrest in the V.
The change to the regular CTS armrest is easy, not sure how cheap it is.

joshdctsv
12-22-05, 10:29 PM
The timing of these threads is uncanny. Just broke armrest today...