: New Car Next Month!

CaddyCrisis
12-21-05, 12:06 AM
Im going to be buying a car next month when i turn 19 and i just wanted some input from you guys and what you think of certain cars.

1993 Cadillac Seville STS 120,000 miles $3900 Awesome looking car
1995 Chevy Lumina LTZ 135,000 $4900 loaded except leather
1996 Buick Riveria "Supercharged"
1995 Cadillac Eldorado ETC 120,000 on body 70,000 on engine awesome looking car.

If anyone can think of any other cars that are pretty good feel free to tell me.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-05, 12:44 AM
the 95-96 Auroras seem to have reliability problems, just working out the kinks in the new design/platform. I would look at a 97-99.

Personally, I like the STS the most, but I am somewhat concerned about the reliability of the N* because that was it's first year.

How about a tried and true 350LT1 in a Roadmaster/Fleetwood?
Lincoln Mark VIII?

Lord Cadillac
12-21-05, 12:55 AM
I didn't see the Aurora in his list - but it IS a very nice car.. Forget the Lumina! It doesn't belong in this list.. The Cadillac Fleetwood is awesome. I owned one. :) That would probably be my favorite on the list. I've always wanted a Mark VIII LSC - but it would have to be a 97 or 98...

Of those you DID list - The 93 STS is nice, but old. I think even the interior has a few things on it/in it that are a bit old. I owned a 95 ETC and that tops your list - to me.. The 95 had some minor interior and exterior changes.. Plus, it looks nearly identical to the very last model ETC. In fact, you could update it to look exact for a few bucks...

The Buick Riviera is a very nice car and I've always wanted one - but they made a strange design error that won't allow you to lie your arm on the doorsill while driving. That's a favorite position of mine so I couldn't do the Riviera. Plus, even though it's super charged, it's not as quick as the STS or ETC.

So.. Topping my list would be a Fleetwood Brougham - 95 or 96.. Next up would be the ETC, then the Riviera, then the STS, then the Aurora mentioned above - and never the Lumina.. If the Mark VIII didn't have interior wood that looked like a melted Hershey bar, I'd have had one at some point or another...

CaddyCrisis
12-21-05, 01:26 AM
If the Mark VIII didn't have interior wood that looked like a melted Hershey bar

thats a good way to put it LOL! i knew a chick in high school that had an aurora and it was a pretty sleek looking car. What about a low 90's lexus LS400 i saw one of those at a lot in my hometown here and it looked pretty awesome i don't know the mileage or price but its in pretty good shape including the leather seats.

Night Wolf
12-21-05, 01:33 AM
The fact a 1995 Eldorado ETC is even on the list....

means you should just stop thinking about it right now.

That is hands down the car I would get.

Or a Jeep.... though the Jeep I want is alot more then the Eldorado I want :)

CaddyCrisis
12-21-05, 01:37 AM
The only thing about the ETC is that they want like $7000 i could probably get them down yo $6500 or maybe if i was lucky $6000 and that is a little out of my price range cuz im going to college and i don't want to be in debt that far being as young as i am but ya never know.

Night Wolf
12-21-05, 01:53 AM
1995 is the best year IMO for the Eldorado (last gen)

for a 1995, you can find a mint one now for about $5,000, just gotta look around.

CaddyCrisis
12-21-05, 02:10 AM
I can find pretty much any caddy around here except the ETC or any eldorado for that matter except ones like mine. But ive still have a little over a month to find the car that rights for me.

SilverFleetwood85
12-21-05, 02:19 AM
If I were you I would go for the Eldorado. Compared to the Seville the Eldorado was never really changed in a major way from 1992-02. You will be driving a car that looks like a new one without paying the higher cost of a newer Eldorado.

Elvis
12-21-05, 09:32 AM
Eldo or Fleetwood.

I think if I were 18 I would really want that Eldorado.

Good luck!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-05, 11:54 AM
CaddyCrisis,
heres how your list would go for me:
- 93 STS
- 95 ETC
- 96 Riviera
- 95 Lumina LTZ (I dont like luminas...at all)

Heres my list for next car (daily driver):
-95 Fleetwood Brougham
-95 Mark VIII
-96 Town Car
-97 Deville Concours

DBA-One
12-21-05, 12:00 PM
Another for the Eldorado. Very nice car. I'd also remove that Lumina from the list. Those are junk.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-05, 12:05 PM
The Eldorado probably is the better car, but I think the 93 STS is better looking, but thats just me. I wonder why the motor in the ETC was replaced 50k miles ago?????

CaddyCrisis
12-21-05, 12:06 PM
I wonder why the motor in the ETC was replaced 50k miles ago?????

I was wondering the same thing when i was talking to the sales person. Ill take the lumina off the list. What do you guys think of the chrysler LHS

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-05, 12:09 PM
I think Chrysler had a problem in the '90s with their trannys. I think they pretty much go to hell due to some very small thing, that Chrysler did just to save cash.

This is a good site, owners review their cars. I have used this in every car purchase I have done
www.carsurvey.org

CaddyCrisis
12-21-05, 12:17 PM
My parents have had two LHS's one a 95 that never had any problems and now they have a 99 that is a very nice car with no problems. I think the LHS is just like a poor mans cadillac, not trying to say my parents are poor cuz they're not but my stepmom has "cadillacs are for old people" stuck in her head LOL.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-05, 12:26 PM
hmmm how about an Aurora, or like a Park Avenue Ultra or like a Bonneville SSEi or even a Ninety Eight Regency Elite (Gasp!)

CaddyCrisis
12-21-05, 12:29 PM
Ive looked at an SSEi before and a friend from high school had one and they are super nice cars and fast as hell too but the insurance i would have to pay would be INSANE, so im looking for a car that won't kill my insurance. There isn't much for auroras for sale around here i see them drving all the time but never in a lot. What about a mid to high 90's regal, supercharged or not.

90Brougham350
12-21-05, 12:32 PM
Hands down, the ETC. By far the funnest car in your list there. Most sporty, flashy, and fun.

CaddyCrisis
12-21-05, 01:07 PM
Im gonna be looking a lot harder an ETC then cuz the majority of you went with the ETC but i really don't like the blind spots in the ETC so the STS is probably my number one choice plus i would save on insurance with a 4 door and not a 2 door.

DBA-One
12-21-05, 01:12 PM
How so? Both have v8 engines. I don't see any insurance saving when say comparing a Seville to an Eldorado. You rate would also be higher based on the book value of the car. If the Eldo is the newest car you buy and you get Comp/Collision it will be higher than say a '90 Eldo simply because the potential payout is higher.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-05, 02:21 PM
Somewhere I heard that its more expensive to insure 2 doors becaus they are "sportier" I dont know what difference that would make when comparing a 92 sedan deville and a 92 coupe deville.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-05, 02:22 PM
What about a mid to high 90's regal, supercharged or not.

Regals are pretty bland cars, they're fast though with the S/C 3800.

DBA-One
12-21-05, 03:24 PM
Somewhere I heard that its more expensive to insure 2 doors becaus they are "sportier" I dont know what difference that would make when comparing a 92 sedan deville and a 92 coupe deville.

Most of this talk is total bunk. There is no higher rate for a red car vs. a black or white car, either. I used to sell car insurance. If a two door to four door myth were true that would make say a four door Maybach cheaper to insure than a 500SL. Regardless of the book value of the M being 300k+ and being twin-turbo V12. It doesn't work that way.

Now if you compare rates for something like a Mustang GT to a Toyota Corolla that is different! An Eldorado is not a sports car in the most reaching sense. The only thing that will make the rate higher are book value (if CC is chose), driver's record. A Deville vs Coupe DeVille is apples to apples.

mccombie_5
12-21-05, 03:30 PM
Most of this talk is total bunk. There is no higher rate for a red car vs. a black or white car, either. I used to sell car insurance. If a two door to four door myth were true that would make say a four door Maybach cheaper to insure than a 500SL. Regardless of the book value of the M being 300k+ and being twin-turbo V12. It doesn't work that way.

Now if you compare rates for something like a Mustang GT to a Toyota Corolla that is different! An Eldorado is not a sports car in the most reaching sense. The only thing that will make the rate higher are book value (if CC is chose), driver's record. A Deville vs Coupe DeVille is apples to apples.

Now this is interesting.

I had a 1995 Vauxhall Astra Sport, it had a 1.6L engine, and was a three door, it turned out to be a lemon, so we sent it back and got one identical, but only with five doors, it was about 100 cheaper to insure.

CaddyCrisis
12-21-05, 03:33 PM
Insurance companies just have price changes for the doors becuase they can. there is no real difference its just they can get away with it so they charge extra.

DBA-One
12-21-05, 04:38 PM
Now this is interesting.

I had a 1995 Vauxhall Astra Sport, it had a 1.6L engine, and was a three door, it turned out to be a lemon, so we sent it back and got one identical, but only with five doors, it was about 100 cheaper to insure.

It is interesting. One of the bad things about it though is if you ask why it was cheaper they only say "I don't know, it's just what the computer says"

Jesda
12-21-05, 06:56 PM
The Riviera is a good long-distance runner and will easily see 200k with routine maintenance, but who could ever pass up an Eldo? Not me!

mccombie_5
12-21-05, 07:23 PM
It is interesting. One of the bad things about it though is if you ask why it was cheaper they only say "I don't know, it's just what the computer says"

Sounds abotu right, it was the same car, even down to the colour, which was a colour only available on three Vauxhall bodies at the time:

Pineapple Yellow

Only available on:

The Tigra
The Astra 3+5 door
The Astra Wagon

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Car%20Pictures%20-and%20other%20random%20crap%20i%20need%20to%20host/astrayellow.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/media.jpg

DBA-One
12-21-05, 07:57 PM
I'm sure that is a beater but if I had to look in your garage and see that car mixed in with the others I'd rip my own eyes out.

Playdrv4me
12-21-05, 08:14 PM
Different insurance companines tend to set slightly different standards, but many of them use indicators that are decided upon by the industry as a whole and assigned to each vehicle based on data taken from the IIHS, and general statistics. I have seen some very very weird numbers in my car searches.

For exmple, the Lincoln LS tends to run HIGHER to insure than the BMW 3 Series! It really isnt so black and white anymore. For a while the Lexus IS was absolutely insane.

Playdrv4me
12-21-05, 08:19 PM
thats a good way to put it LOL! i knew a chick in high school that had an aurora and it was a pretty sleek looking car. What about a low 90's lexus LS400 i saw one of those at a lot in my hometown here and it looked pretty awesome i don't know the mileage or price but its in pretty good shape including the leather seats.

I cant believe no one has chimed in on this... Its a BORING car compared to the ETC on the OUTSIDE but man is it one WORKHORSE of a reliable car. Alot of the oldest LS400s are still rolling around on the streets and generally its a very enjoyable car to own. I would look for one with the Nakamichi stereo.

Kev
12-21-05, 08:23 PM
There are two reasons which come to my mind as to why the insurance would be less for the 5 door model.

1. Two doors (or in this case three) are considered by some to be sport models (yes, a far stretch in this example) and assume sport driving habits.

2. The three door model would be harder to exit in an emergency than the five door model.

The second reason seems more likely to me.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-05, 08:24 PM
Yeah I agree with playdrv4me,
they are boring to look at, but they last forever and have extremely high quality, and they have excellent resale values...they simply dont depreciate!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-05, 08:24 PM
There are two reasons which come to my mind as to why the insurance would be less for the 5 door model.

1. Two doors (or in this case three) are considered by some to be sport models (yes, a far stretch in this example) and assume sport driving habits.

2. The three door model would be harder to exit in an emergency than the five door model.

The second reason seems more likely to me.

Would the five door have a higher side collision rating also?

Kev
12-21-05, 08:26 PM
Would the five door have a higher side collision rating also?3. The five door may have a higher side collision rating.

:duck:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-05, 08:29 PM
you're welcome :p

Night Wolf
12-21-05, 11:03 PM
According to Sate Farm...

to insure a 1993 Coupe DeVille, Sedan DeVille, or DeVille Touring Sedan...

is all the same price, they have the same insurance code.

Jesda
12-22-05, 01:50 AM
Due to the strangely complex way engine components are installed [like a lot of BMWs and MBs], the LS400 costs more to own and maintain than a 94-96 Q45. It will also cost more to buy, and for your money you get less power, poorer handling, more road noise, and a downgraded interior (but I love those 3D gauges). In 1995, the Q45 was the quietest luxury sedan on the market.

While Nakamichi kicks butt in the aftermarket, I found the system in the LS400 to be lacking in depth. The Bose system in the Q is halfass as well, but it packed more of a punch and the a-pillar tweeters provided some extra clarity.

CaddyCrisis
12-22-05, 02:00 AM
The stereo will have 0% effect on my decision because i would just change everything anyway so the stereo in any car won't matter to me at all. I just want a car that has a good engine with good power (im not looking for a race car though) nice comfortable interior, and plenty of options.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-22-05, 02:08 AM
Do you necessarily want the Cadillac nameplate?
I honestly wish I would have waited on the Caddy until after college and bought the 92 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Regency Elite instead because its a cheaper car to run but it still has the power goodies the deville has.

Honestly if I was you, I would buy a nice near luxury full size sedan. Ya know, the type of car right below a Cadillac. Buick Park Avenue or Oldsmobile Ninety Eight. They have almost all of the Cadillac's stuff without the expensive nameplate and the expensive gas bill. They have the 3800 V6, which is probably the greatest pushrod V6 ever. Honestly, thats what I would look for. It's got everything you want:
I just want a car that has a good engine with good power (im not looking for a race car though) nice comfortable interior, and plenty of options.

CaddyCrisis
12-22-05, 02:12 AM
I would love to stick with the caddy but i don't like the park avenues or the ninety eights. if i got anything that wasn't a caddy it would like a chrysler LHS, concord or even a chryler sebring or a cirrus LX. I like the buick regals because of the 3800 V6 and it has pretty much all the options that the cadillac has and to top it off they are pretty quick as well.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-22-05, 02:15 AM
How about a Bonneville SSE or SLE, they have a lot of luxury options too

CaddyCrisis
12-22-05, 02:24 AM
Ive looked at a couple of them but i just don't find them too appealing. the only bonneville ive ever liked was the ssei but i wouldn't be able to afford the insurance on it.

What is everyones opinon on the Catera i know absolutely nothing about these cars except that they have a V6

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-22-05, 02:28 AM
Catera is a pretty unreliable car from what I have heard. They seem to have a constant problem with alterators.

go on www.carsurvey.org to get good well rounded information

CaddyCrisis
12-22-05, 02:36 AM
Dodge Stratus RT???

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-22-05, 02:51 AM
I personally dont like em but thats just me. I know nothing about them.

danbuc
12-22-05, 05:40 AM
The Regal GS is a nice car, and can easily become outrageously fast too. I like the 1995 ETC idea, but the 1993 STS seems like you'd be asking for trouble. The cars you listed are all a little different. My suggestion would be to find a particular style of car, and look for that style in your price range and see what you can find. For example, when I was looking around before I bought my STS, I also considered a 1996 Impala SS, or a 1996 Fleetwood. I went with the STS in the end mostly because of the FWD, since I've had lot's of experience with RWD in the snow up here and although it was fun, it got dangerous sometimes (Used to go powersliding in my '66 Mustang sometimes, and my old Volvo 740 GLE). If you looking at a car like the ETC, look for car's similar to it like a 1995 STS, or as some other said Oldmobile has some nice car's as well as buick. If I was looking for a 1995 ETC, I myself would also consider a Regal GS. I like the look fo them, and the S/C 3800 Gen II engine is a real workhorse and very reliable (as I mentioned above, also easily modified but that's a whole different story..hehe). Good luck with the search.:thumbsup:

CaddyCrisis
01-03-06, 10:56 PM
Alright i have 3 more cars to add to the shopping list.

1989 Cadillac Coupe Deville for $3400

2 other Coupe Devilles not sure on the price or year for them cuz they r private sellers and i saw them real quick drving by but im guessing around the same cuz they all look fantastic!

powerglide
01-03-06, 11:46 PM
Eldo or Buick (how many miles on the Buick?)
I always had a soft spot for the Buicks......

CaddyCrisis
01-04-06, 01:59 AM
The Buick has 120,000 miles on it. The Eldo has 120,000 on the body and 70,000 on the engine.

davesdeville
01-04-06, 04:28 AM
With the mileage on the Eldo I'd put that at the top of the list, followed by the Riviera. The STS isn't too bad of a price, I just hate the 92-97 taillights so it's not what I'd pick. If you like them and it fits your budget better then go for it. Forget the Lumina and SC400...

70eldo
01-04-06, 10:45 AM
I would go for an ETC. But if you want to go for an STS, you better look for a younger one...