: Horn Location on Escalade ????

Rolex
12-21-05, 12:16 AM
I can't for the life of me find the location of the factory horn on my 03 Lade. I'm hoping one of you knowledgable SOBs can point me in the right direction.

And please...don't tell me it's in the center of the steering wheel! ;)

ewill3rd
12-21-05, 07:49 AM
Does this help?

hcvone
12-21-05, 09:07 AM
Get in your truck, now open your eyes and look at your steering wheel, at the 3 o'clock and 9 o,clock postion, just inside of the radio control buttons, you will see an embossed horn pix, press either side. :)

slk230mb
12-21-05, 01:23 PM
It's in the center of the steering wheel.

hcvone
12-21-05, 02:30 PM
On my 03' pressing the center will not make the horn beep, you have to press on the "pix of the horn" at 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock. :)

slk230mb
12-21-05, 03:35 PM
On my 03' pressing the center will not make the horn beep, you have to press on the "pix of the horn" at 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock. :)

Ohhhh, on my 02 just press the center anywhere and it honks. :)

ewill3rd
12-21-05, 04:44 PM
Actually the thing in the steering wheel is a "switch" or "contact".
A horn is a little round thing that makes noise.
;)

You guys are funny though. :D

I see the original poster saw this one coming a mile away.

Rolex
12-22-05, 12:09 AM
Does this help?

Thanks!!! You da man. I will be installing air horns on yhe Escalade tomorrow, and this info will come in handy. :highfive: :D

slk230mb
12-22-05, 12:22 AM
Thanks!!! You da man. I will be installing air horns on yhe Escalade tomorrow, and this info will come in handy. :highfive: :D

What sound, high or low pitched? Do you need to install a relay? When we put the air horns on my dads suburban we had to add one.

Rolex
12-22-05, 12:26 AM
The horn kit comes with a relay, 2 horns, and compressor and wiring diagram. It does not use an air tank, which is desirable because there's not really room under the Lade's hood for anything else. I fabricated a bracket yesterday to mount the horns to, but I'm not exactly sure where I will mount them yet.

I believe they are higher pitched horns, somewhat like an ambulance uses. I figure at 135 dB they will get the attention of anyone in my way! :D

slk230mb
12-22-05, 12:32 AM
The horn kit comes with a relay, 2 horns, and compressor and wiring diagram. It does not use an air tank, which is desirable because there's not really room under the Lade's hood for anything else. I fabricated a bracket yesterday to mount the horns to, but I'm not exactly sure where I will mount them yet.

I believe they are higher pitched horns, somewhat like an ambulance uses. I figure at 135 dB they will get the attention of anyone in my way! :D

That should get the job done. Are you going to leave the stock horns or replace them?

Rolex
12-22-05, 10:25 AM
That should get the job done. Are you going to leave the stock horns or replace them?

My plan is to leave the stock horns. I'm going to try to splice into the wire that comes from the horn switch and leave the horns intact.

Rolex
12-22-05, 02:47 PM
Job is DONE! It took me about 2 hours total. I ended up mounting the horns directly behind the grill onto the support for the trans cooler. I had to remove the grill to make room, and also had to remove the right headlight and air intake to gain access to the factory horn.

The horns are VERY loud and high pitched. I may look into ordering some lower pitched horns, but installing them now would only take a couple of minutes. All told the total cost of the horn kit and installation materials was around $35.

Now all I need is for somebody to try sitting through a greenlight, or try to cut me off! :lildevil: :D

slk230mb
12-22-05, 03:42 PM
Sweet!

05 Cadillac Escalade
12-23-05, 12:16 AM
That's awesome. I just carry around a handheld air-horn. Haha. Have fun with that.

Thanks.