: 04 awd V8-new front tires @ 16000 miles?

b4bcn
12-20-05, 09:45 PM
My family and I are old-time new Cadillac owners, from Seville diesels, '87, 89 &'93 Allantes to Escalades and have multiple dealer/factory response stories for almost all of them ... they all end well but not without persistance!

In 16 months of ownership my SRX ultraview experience rivals my early allante convertible top issues in that you have to keep on bringing it back until it's fixed - I haven't despaired yet but a periodic tightening just doesn't seem right, I expect some type of redesign or modification to be retrofitted as in the past.

The ride on my Mag suspension equipped AWD V8 SRX has gone from sublime to unbearably stiff and back-numbing within 500 miles (I thought the suspension was locked on stiff). My dealer pointed out that my front OEM Michelins tires are shot (@ 16000 miles) and that's what's causing the ride degradation. Previous experience with Michelins are similar in that the ride severely degrades at the end of their life.

My '93 FWD Northstar Allante's Michelin Pilots (driven agressively) usually lasted 30000+ miles under exactly the same driving conditions.

My parent's previous STS' and Touring Sedans were usually traded in at the end of warranty period with their original tires.

Doesn't 16000 miles (no irregular wear with regular alignment) on the front tires seem excessive?

Thanks for any feedback.

AJ/Dallas

PS, I love & enjoy this vehicle but it hasn't been without a certain amount of frustration at having to bring it back for the same problems (front end & top noises (and I've got a terrific dealership!).

Osogato
12-20-05, 10:16 PM
The fact that you need new tires does seem strange.

My wife has a 2004 AWD V8. It now has about 18,000 miles (I believe). The OE Michelins still have plenty of tread.

My wife loves the vehicle -- she thinks of it a station wagon.

sgilbert
12-20-05, 10:29 PM
I'm going on 24,000+ on my '04, and the Pilots seem almost new.

You've got something else going on up there!

da_thrilla
12-21-05, 04:39 PM
i had the same problem on my v6 at 29000 km (aprox. 18000 miles), the wear us in the other edges and its only the front tires that pose a problem...dealer said i drive aggressively, especialy round curves, but thats not neccessarily the case....the otter edges are rediculousy worn out...and the dealer isnt helping much...i dont think its mechanical...could it be tire manu. quality?

miked
12-21-05, 07:13 PM
It could very well be a bad set of tires. Unfortunately, tires even on new vehicles are warrantied by automakers, but by the tiremakers. You may want to give Michelin a call. There's usually a little slip that you got with your car that gives the number. The dealer won't be of much assistance.

ckrichards
12-22-05, 08:38 AM
i had the same problem on my v6 at 29000 km (aprox. 18000 miles), the wear us in the other edges and its only the front tires that pose a problem...dealer said i drive aggressively, especialy round curves, but thats not neccessarily the case....the otter edges are rediculousy worn out...and the dealer isnt helping much...i dont think its mechanical...could it be tire manu. quality?

Same issue with my front tires. I have a V8 and 15k miles. Dealer did a 4 wheel alignment to adjust the toe and believe the next set of tires will last longer.

ccmnd
05-16-06, 10:57 AM
We have the same problem ! V8 AWD 20.000 Mi and dealer can't help (or won't) this is a MFG. defect, either Michelin or GM.
does any one have a solution other than replacing tires every 20,000 Mi ????

Zig
05-18-06, 11:17 AM
I guess I'm the only one not really surprised by this at all. I've got 9800 miles on mine and am expecting to put new tires on by 20,000, almost exclusively because the outsides of the fronts are wearing away. This is pretty standard wear from what I've experienced in owning SUVs over the years, but on the SRX, since you can't rotate the tires due to the staggered sizes, it's going to show especially fast.

I'll just put 255s all the way around next time and rotate throughout the life of the tires. It should add 50% to their life.

driley97
06-27-06, 08:34 PM
Sorry to get on this one so late, but have not been keeping up-to-date. My dealer replaced the front tires on my 04 AWH SRX at 20K, his cost: said the front end was out of alignment and had it aligned. 24K on the new ones and they look great. The original problem manifested itself as abnormal wear on the inside edge of both tires.

Smokin' SRX
06-28-06, 02:19 PM
I guess I'm the only one not really surprised by this at all. I've got 9800 miles on mine and am expecting to put new tires on by 20,000, almost exclusively because the outsides of the fronts are wearing away. This is pretty standard wear from what I've experienced in owning SUVs over the years, but on the SRX, since you can't rotate the tires due to the staggered sizes, it's going to show especially fast.

I'll just put 255s all the way around next time and rotate throughout the life of the tires. It should add 50% to their life.

:) Hi! I have same problem! 19K miles and outer edges are wearing badly. I drive like a lunatic at times (and this SUV w/ MAG ride takes exit ramps at 60MPH, no problem!) I'm sure the cause is NOT being able to rotate tires normally.
Do you know that the 255's will fit w/ no problems???
Thanks!

Billy Mo
06-28-06, 07:11 PM
Take a look at the "Recommendations for new tires" thread a couple of threads below. I have the same problem and had the same question. Dealer wasn't much help with the tires but fixed my ultraview and rear differential whine so I wasn't complaining too much.