: Saw a new M5

04CTSVforMe
12-20-05, 05:05 PM
Unfortunately it was parked so I didn't get to hear it or see it go.

Although I am impressed with its engine & power & all, I can honestly say that the styling leaves ALOT to be desired.

Obviously it is just my opinion, but I honestly would not spend the money on one (or even the amount I paid for my V!), because I have become used to the practice of looking into my garage and smiling broadly at the vehicles I have in it. The M5 would not do that for me until I was driving it.

alcast082
12-20-05, 05:09 PM
TO me the past model m5 was an icon,
It was a gorgouse car that would get noticed everywhere specially in the bright metallic blue.
The new one leaves a little to be desired although i sure that performance wise and interior have both ben inproved drastically.

Kadonny
12-20-05, 05:41 PM
Interior is not all that improved, and I hate the rear fascia of the car, but the engine and the performance.........holy crap!

I got to see one at the BMW dealership and saw the lot boy drive it off to fill it with gas. He laid into it and it was like it was shot out of a canon. Incredible.

Luna.
12-20-05, 05:56 PM
but the engine and the performance.........holy crap!

:yeah:

DrivingAmericanNow
12-20-05, 06:56 PM
No arguing, most find the design of the new BMW sedans to be quirky and ugly, especially with that big can they've got. Gives new meaning to junk in the trunk I think.

I can appreciate the performance, but sometimes it's better to be nice looking all around. I mean really, do you want J-Lo or J-Anniston? Hmmmm?????

Long live the V ! (better looking than the M5)

Pillboy
12-20-05, 07:24 PM
I saw one today as well. Surprised, as the nearest dealer is 30 miles away and I live in, um, how shall I put it, - a less than progressive community. It looked pretty good but I think it is even more understated than the V. Don't get me wrong, Q ships are my thing but I am impressed by the '06 (07?) bimmers performance, not its looks. I think the V looks better (badder!)

arr0gant
12-20-05, 08:56 PM
The 'V' is beautiful. It really is!

An lady, where I work (who is used to seeing me pull up in a Boxster s) said - "Nice to see you finally got a family car." :want:I said to her. "This car is twice as fast as the Porsche!" "You and your fast cars...." she replied. :)

DrivingAmericanNow
12-20-05, 09:39 PM
The 'V' is beautiful. It really is!

An lady, where I work (who is used to seeing me pull up in a Boxster s) said - "Nice to see you finally got a family car." :want:I said to her. "This car is twice as fast as the Porsche!" "You and your fast cars...." she replied. :)

She sounds fat.

arr0gant
12-20-05, 09:49 PM
She sounds fat.
HAHHA

LV_V
12-20-05, 11:43 PM
She sounds fat.

:highfive:

VELOSE
12-21-05, 01:32 AM
:histeric: :histeric: :histeric:

heavymetals
12-21-05, 02:18 AM
Looks like a very nice car.

It ought to be as I figured with tax/license it would cost me 2X what my V cost.

I am happy with my hot rod.:lildevil:

willsctsv
12-21-05, 09:35 AM
A guy who works for me said he saw a guy driving the new M5 in NYC the other day. He said the car was sweet! But added, When he drove away it didn't sound like yours! :worship: American V8 Power!!!

Brad330cic
12-21-05, 11:33 AM
The V is greatness, but I have to admit if I could get the M5 for " the amount I paid for my V", I'd leave the V on the highway. I guess I'm spellbound by BMW, but I think it looks awesome. I have always said the V would be the hottest car on the road IF there were not granny's CTS V-6's out there.

DrivingAmericanNow
12-21-05, 11:44 AM
I have always said the V would be the hottest car on the road IF there were not granny's CTS V-6's out there.

Come now, we shouldn't be denegrating our inferior brethren. :hitstick:

MCaesar
12-21-05, 12:05 PM
No arguing, most find the design of the new BMW sedans to be quirky and ugly, especially with that big can they've got. Gives new meaning to junk in the trunk I think.

I can appreciate the performance, but sometimes it's better to be nice looking all around. I mean really, do you want J-Lo or J-Anniston? Hmmmm?????

Long live the V ! (better looking than the M5)

If my wife was as unattractive as Jennifer Anniston I would shoot myself. I am not a big J Lo fan but that one is not even close.

I am thinking more of MaryAnn over Ginger than Anniston over any woman that looks nice.

DrivingAmericanNow
12-21-05, 12:17 PM
If my wife was as unattractive as Jennifer Anniston I would shoot myself. I am not a big J Lo fan but that one is not even close.

I am thinking more of MaryAnn over Ginger than Anniston over any woman that looks nice.

EXACTLY ! M5 vs V -or- J-Lo vs J-An............ Both are nice looking, but that ugly butt puts the M5 and J-Lo at the back of the bus. The V and J-An are just perfect and there's no giant can to wreck the rest of the package.

Just to clarify, I wouldn't turn down a ride in any of the above, but the choices are interesting to talk about.

LV_V
12-21-05, 02:44 PM
A few days ago I was on the 215 in Vegas (not in the V) and a new M5 and a 360 go flying by me at about 130 with the M5 literally 10 feet off the 360's bumper! I almost sh!t my pants and wish I was in the V to play! The combination of their exhaust notes at near WOT was euphoric!

MacOSR
12-21-05, 07:45 PM
To each his own... I now like the looks of my CTS-V (didn't like the CTS when it came out at all). I also love the looks of the new M5. Mine came in today and I am picking her up tomorrow.

Here are a couple pics...

http://homepage.mac.com/macosr/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2005-12-21%2015.36.17%20-0800/Image-5ADAC500727A11DA.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/macosr/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2005-12-21%2015.36.17%20-0800/Image-5ADAE2C4727A11DA.jpg

L.Sanchez
12-21-05, 08:11 PM
You guys are all absolutely crazy if any of you WOULDN'T take an M5 if you had the ability to do so. If I could right now, I'd swap the V for an M5 in a heartbeat. I love my V, but thats 118 in the quarter straight out of the box, superior handling (watch the Topgear test drive of the M5 to appreciate it), and that howling V10 make my willy feel funny in all the right ways. :)

Lets not be stupid here. The M5 looks amazing in person...verrrry tough with the quad tips and lower body rockers, bumpers, etc...and the interior is well made if not ergonomically friendly (I-Drive). Its not something you'd spit at if it was in front of you. It might not ring everyones bells and make them go weak in the knees, but its still a good looking car. And you gotta love the "M-Drive" button on the steering wheel. :)

MAC, if you ever need anyone to babysit her...just let me know. I'm a giver like that!

dqw1
12-21-05, 08:22 PM
Mac, that M5 is smooth as Chivas, nice ride.

crowan
12-21-05, 08:57 PM
You guys are all absolutely crazy if any of you WOULDN'T take an M5 if you had the ability to do so. If I could right now, I'd swap the V for an M5 in a heartbeat. I love my V, but thats 118 in the quarter straight out of the box, superior handling (watch the Topgear test drive of the M5 to appreciate it), and that howling V10 make my willy feel funny in all the right ways. :)

Lets not be stupid here. The M5 looks amazing in person...verrrry tough with the quad tips and lower body rockers, bumpers, etc...and the interior is well made if not ergonomically friendly (I-Drive). Its not something you'd spit at if it was in front of you. It might not ring everyones bells and make them go weak in the knees, but its still a good looking car. And you gotta love the "M-Drive" button on the steering wheel. :)

:yup: I am fully in agreement with you. I love my V enough that I wouldn't cough up the extra cash for the M5, but if I was given the choice of either one by the "Car Fairy," I would drive off in the Bimmer. That is one bad ride.

Mac, I love the photos. Congrats on the purchase.:worship:

CR

MCaesar
12-21-05, 09:02 PM
I think 95% of the people who say they wouldn't want an M5 can't afford one. There is no way I wouldn't have one in my stable if I was rich. It is the ultimate sports sedan.

MacOSR
12-21-05, 09:10 PM
I will post more pics tomorrow after I have her home.

VELOSE
12-22-05, 12:50 AM
I won't bag on the M5 either. It is a car that gains respect. Trying to compare a V to the new M5 is tough, or is it? I really think that performance per dollar, the V wins. Other than that, the M5 takes it home. However saying all this, you couldn't take me away from my V. I get too many "whoa"..."DAAAAMN"..."Oh Shiet"..."nice car"...and "SICK" that I can't live without. :D

04CTSVforMe
12-22-05, 02:47 PM
I will say the pics of the darker color look better than the white one I saw, but I guess I am crazy Sanchez, because whether it was given to me by a fairy or bought with my own cash (and I most certainly can afford one, Caesar), I would not be fully happy driving that car.

I don't think it looks hideous, I just am not impressed with BMW styling, except for the 6 Series, and the M5 does not do it for me visually.

Now let me at an M6, and we'll talk! :devil:

Falkolade
12-22-05, 02:54 PM
I dream of trading my v for an m5... due to the northeast ohio weather an suv is key, so before i buy anymore toys, i gotta trade the escalade up for the new 07... then i'll worry about the m5... but i do like the m5 more than the v... but i do like the "bang for the buck" on the v..

willsctsv
12-22-05, 04:42 PM
Gotta luv the refined interior of the Bimmer. But, you are going 90 large for the car so it better have bells and whistles.
I don't know! I feel like the styling is missing something.:hmm: I do prefer the look of the M6 over the M5.
I'm not knocking the car and I can afford one!
Good luck with it!
Why can't these germans get there engines to sound like our V8's? As I said in a previous post, Gotta luv the sound of American muscle.:D
I had a ferrari at a light right next to me the other day. Maybe was a 1998 or something. I forgot I think the guy said 98, I do remember he said it wasn't that fast and it just looked good. He also said it had 380 horse. The sound of my V made his engine sound like rice! He commented on the V and asked me how many Horses it has. I replied 450. We both accelerated away from the light agressively, but not balls out to the floor.. I was waiting for him to nail it.
I know he wasn't fully into it by the sound of his engine revs, but I nailed it and walked away from him and he didn't want to play.
He was not confident in his ride and was intimidated by the V :want: ! I thought that was a classic.

DrivingAmericanNow
12-22-05, 05:14 PM
We both accelerated away from the light agressively, but not balls out to the floor.. I was waiting for him to nail it. I know he wasn't fully into it by the sound of his engine revs, but I nailed it and walked away from him and he didn't want to play.

Probably a Ferrari 355. They've got 380 horse and they're the most common F-cars from 1998. Specs say they'll do 0-60 in 4.7. A lot of them come with automatic paddle-shift transmissions (F1) and they've got no wheel hop issues, so if he'd chosen to go for it, things could have got interesting. If he had the F1 option, he wouldn't even have had to be a decent driver.

willsctsv
12-22-05, 05:35 PM
Drivingameriacnnow, maybe that was the car but the exhaust sounded way too muffled and raspy. Needless to say, a beautful car just dissapointing sound!

arr0gant
12-22-05, 07:43 PM
I think I just wet myself looking at the interior of that M! Mac, congrats--enjoy!!!

MacOSR
12-22-05, 07:59 PM
OK...no new photos...I was too busy driving her today. Here are some thoughts.

The M5 is absolutely incredible. I have no dissapointments whatsoever.

The interior is extremely well thought out and very elegant. I am glad that I decided to go with the wood accents instead of alluminum. The interior just screams luxury when you sit in it. The leather on the seats is top notch. The leather on the roof, pillars, dash, decklid, etc. make a fine elegant toutch.

The SMG is insane. I can't use the top two shifting modes until I pass 1200 miles. With that said, S3 and S4 shift beautifully. The car needs to be driven like a standard shift car. If you slightly let up on the gas when upshifting it is extremely smooth and faster then you would shift during normal driving. I won't get to experience S5 and S6 for another month. It has also been reported that it shifts unbelievably fast when shifting between 6000 and 8200 rpm. It is different...and I am 110% sold on SMG. For those of you that have driven SMG II, the SMG III is lightyears ahead in performance.

I was nervous about iDrive. After driving the car for 50 miles and using iDrive I see the beauty of it but I still have some reservations. Being a programmer I appreciate all that can be done. However, I don't know if I am sold yet on the GUI aspect yet. Only time can tell here. Not to toot my own horn but... I am usually very good about making something very simple to use for the non-tech user...I don't know if iDrive does this...time will tell.

I haven't really been able to test the handling. It is too cold here in Ohio and I just don't have enough miles on the car to push it hard yet. I probably won't truly have an idea on how it handles as compared to the V until spring.

I will post more in the next couple days including some photos.

One more thing....the build quality can not be compared to the V. Cadillac has come a long way but after driving the M5 I can see how much further Cadillac has to go. This is not to put down the V...you gotta keep in mind the V is $40k cheaper ;)

MCaesar
12-22-05, 08:37 PM
Probably a Ferrari 355. They've got 380 horse and they're the most common F-cars from 1998. Specs say they'll do 0-60 in 4.7. A lot of them come with automatic paddle-shift transmissions (F1) and they've got no wheel hop issues, so if he'd chosen to go for it, things could have got interesting. If he had the F1 option, he wouldn't even have had to be a decent driver.

I love American V8s but nothing in the sound of a Ferrari F430 at full wail is the sweetest mechanical thing on the planet.

PS They don't sound great under 4,000 rpm

c4racer
12-22-05, 08:43 PM
I ran with one around Thunderhill earlier this month. Both cars were bone stock and on original tires. It was quite fast. Slightly quicker than I was, but not more than 1-2 sec per lap - we were pretty close. I was not pushing the car too hard, doubt he was either - we both have significant track experience. The one thing was he had to leave early because the brakes ended up boiling over. Not sure if he swapped the fluid out - he had the car at Sears Pt. as well, so probably had. I did flush my brake fluid with ATE and had superb braking all day long, and I was hammering them hard too. Can't say enough about how good the brakes are. That said, neither car is truly at home on a road course, certainly not in the way that a Corvette or P-car is.

DrivingAmericanNow
12-22-05, 09:10 PM
I love American V8s but nothing in the sound of a Ferrari F430 at full wail is the sweetest mechanical thing on the planet.

PS They don't sound great under 4,000 rpm

Got to agree there. I love the sound of a big American V8, but the most beautiful engine noise I've ever heard was a 91 Lamborghini Diablo with a custom exhaust. I was on an exotic cruise with him and a bunch of others. The engine sounded so good I spent the whole day-long drive trying to keep my car in the lane right next to the Diablo (and that wasn't easy). You'd have sworn the thing was talking, I was amazed.

Jay VDC
12-23-05, 02:10 PM
no manual, not for me. old m5 yes.