: F-150 Rocks!

Elvis
12-20-05, 03:33 PM
I'm in a borrowed F-150 Supercrew (nicknamed "SCrew" by enthusiasts) while mine is in the shop getting an oil change, tires rotated, and a squeaky window fixed. Nothing major, just routine stuff.

The general mgr. at the Ford dealership has become a good friend of mine, and we went to lunch today. (Actually, it was a ruse to get him to a meeting where he was presented a community service award.) I left my truck at his place and when we got back they hadn't started working on it yet. He felt bad and said "here, take mine!"

DAMN this truck is nice. He's about 6-4, 210, and I could tell he looked comfortable driving it. There's more legroom and width than in my Expedition. This is apparently the same thing they're going to make the new Expeditions out of. They'll also add a LWB version of the Expedition in 2007.

The interior is very close to the current Navigator, which I loved when I drove it. But still, I couldn't justify the extra $11,000 between a Navigator and an Expy. Can't justify it for an Escalade, either.

The one thing I don't like is the big step up. The running boards are just those bars with rubber treads. It's a long way down. But driving it, you can definitely feel the longer wheel base.

Here's an ebay pic of a similar one:

http://carad.ebayimg.com/i18/04/a/05/56/18/c2_4.JPG

http://carad.ebayimg.com/i3/04/a/05/79/19/df_4.JPG

http://carad.ebayimg.com/i16/03/a/05/72/e4/ef_4.JPG

ben72227
12-20-05, 03:41 PM
The F-150 is not bad at all.:cool2: Number one truck in America for a reason;)

Although, I prefer the Silverado...but, they need to redesign it, because the current design is from what? 1999? It's getting obsolete...

mccombie_5
12-20-05, 03:47 PM
Its nice. Interior looks very upmarket.

Elvis
12-20-05, 04:27 PM

Although, I prefer the Silverado...but, they need to redesign it, because the current design is from what? 1999? It's getting obsolete...

I think they have redesigned it for 2007 to be more like the new Escalade/Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban. I'd say that the contest between the F-150 and the Silverado/Sierra? will shift to favor GM for a while. American trucks aren't at all like they used to be.

It's obvious that despite all the complaints about gas prices, Ford sees a market for a LWB SUV like the Suburban and Yukon XL. They phased out the Excursion but they still want to provide something to compete with GM.

I just returned the F-150, and drove the Expedition back on the same road. The Expedition rides a lot better, but the F-150 was a 4x4 so maybe it's not a fair comparison. The back seat in the F-150 isn't as soft as the Expedition, but it is as roomy.

Considering that the F-150 runs about $7500-$10,000 less than the Expedition, if I had a reliable luxury car in the garage I'd consider an F-150 over an SUV. It's that nice inside for the driver and one passenger.

I NEVER thought I'd consider owning a pick-up truck as my primary transportation, but I can see it as a possibility now.

Night Wolf
12-20-05, 05:08 PM
It is wrong to complain about a truck being too high up, or too much of a step :)

its a truck, they are made like that... I don't want to be able to slip into a truck, I wanna climb up into the cab :)

ben72227
12-20-05, 05:11 PM
I'd never have a pick-up as primary transportation.

The recirculating ball steering in my Eldo is right for the car, but I couldn't see getting another car with it, and most trucks (I haven't driven any newer trucks, except for my grandfathers '99 4x4 Silverado; maybe they've changed since then???) just have braking and steering that's not for me...:rolleyes:

Elvis
12-20-05, 05:12 PM
It is wrong to complain about a truck being too high up, or too much of a step :)
its a truck, they are made like that... I don't want to be able to slip into a truck, I wanna climb up into the cab :)

You're right!

What was I thinking? :bang2:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-20-05, 05:30 PM
Ford's trucks are the best for their segment...atleast the F-Series, I cant say the same about the Ranger

Playdrv4me
12-20-05, 06:30 PM
Ford's trucks are the best for their segment...atleast the F-Series, I cant say the same about the Ranger

That Ranger is older than Methuselah... Think about it, THREE entire models based off its original underpinnings or directly upon it have come and gone in the time its been around... The Mazda B Series, the Ford Bronco II and the Ford Explorer.

Ford has really dropped the ball on it for some reason, even the S10/Sonoma and Dakota have been through three generations in the time the Ranger has existed!! THE S10 FOR CRYIN OUT LOUD!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-20-05, 06:38 PM
The Ranger dates back to the Bronco II which came out in like 1982??

urbanski
12-20-05, 06:50 PM
i test drove one a few months back
it was nice, but took forever to do 0-60 lol

ben72227
12-20-05, 07:06 PM
Yeah the Ranger has been around since '82. They were cool when they came out, and now they're really old:p

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2a/Ranger1.jpg
(1st Gen. Ranger)

Randy_W
12-20-05, 07:26 PM
The Ranger has no connection to the original except it's name and a 4.0 loosely based on the old 2.8-2.9. My son in law had a 2000, it was a 4wd, 4.0 with 5 speed automatic, ext cab. For a Ford it was powerful just cheap interior appointments and noisy as well as hard on fuel. He got smart and bought a new GMC Sierra 4x4 last year.;)

Jesda
12-20-05, 07:32 PM
I love that interior! The Silverado would be my truck of choice, however. I hope they update it soon.

Playdrv4me
12-20-05, 07:38 PM
The Ranger has no connection to the original except it's name and a 4.0 loosely based on the old 2.8-2.9. My son in law had a 2000, it was a 4wd, 4.0 with 5 speed automatic, ext cab. For a Ford it was powerful just cheap interior appointments and noisy as well as hard on fuel. He got smart and bought a new GMC Sierra 4x4 last year.;)

I have to disagree with you, not on the drivetrain, but the chassis itself. It is identical to the original. You only have to check the roofline to see it. They can do all they want to the front and rear ends, but the underpinnings, frame and especially the boxy roof are all DNA from the 1982 model. This is the same as when Jeep updated the Cherokee in 1997. Same truck, just rounded off the front and rear ends.

Heres a bite from Edmunds:

After years of serving as a trim designation on the F-Series pickup, the Ranger became a separate model when Ford replaced the Mazda-supplied Courier pickup with an in-house design in 1983. The Ranger quickly became the best-selling compact pickup and has dominated the segment ever since. Today's model still rides on the same basic platform and structure as that 1983 original, though substantial revisions for 1989, 1993 and 1998 have kept the Ranger competitive...

...the Ranger's 20-year-old design just doesn't cut it anymore. Unless you're a die-hard Ford fan, we would recommend shopping the competition first

Yikes! The Ranger is almost as old as I am!!

Stoneage_Caddy
12-20-05, 07:44 PM
The thing about ranger (which has 2 generations) is that its cost and popularity go hand in hand , keeping it around and tossing new gills on it every 2 years keeps cost down and college students along with small busineses buying them ....anyone see what there asking for colorados these days ?? ACK!!! while rangers can still be had for right arond 10 grand (pre haggle)

Its hard to tell it but there is a second gen ranger , which is kinda a technicaility , its like comapreing last years impala to this years you dig deep enough int he right spots youll find the old stuff ...

I think Ranger lost the tiwn i beam at the same time exporer did when it gained the 5.0 (to bad ranger never did) so really there could be a gen 1 and 2 along with a gen 2.5

still a ford tho , after years working on ford trucks ive leanred to hate them ...

ShadowLvr400
12-20-05, 07:45 PM
I'll stick tot the Dodge's myself. When it comes to engines, the Cummins deisel is my vote for truck motor king.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-20-05, 07:48 PM
Does the same chassis mean same wheelbase? The wheelbases arent the same from 1983-2000. The 1983 had either a 107.9" or 113.9" wheelbase and the 2000 model has a 111.5", 111.6" or 117.5, 117.6", 125.7" or lastly the 125.9" wheelbase

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-20-05, 07:50 PM
The thing about ranger (which has 2 generations) is that its cost and popularity go hand in hand , keeping it around and tossing new gills on it every 2 years keeps cost down

Just like the 92-96 Cutlass Ciera/Century :)
and the 77-92 Broughams

Stoneage_Caddy
12-20-05, 07:53 PM
or the original mini and VW "bug"

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-20-05, 07:56 PM
those too

Caddy Man
12-20-05, 08:33 PM
Ive always wanted a top of the line F-350 Super Duty, crew cab, dually. Put some train horns on it...wow, that would be hot

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-20-05, 09:37 PM
I'd love any new F series as long as it was a King Ranch 4x4 supercrew.
I LOVE the 1992-96 F-150's...such a timeless, rugged style just looking at it reminds me of cowboys and the west...

SilverFleetwood85
12-20-05, 10:19 PM

What is it with people thinking a car needs to be redesigned just because it is a few years old? :hmm: I think the Silverado is fine in its current state, the exterior looks great, in my opinion better then the new F150. The new F150 is a little too bulky and "bloated," for my tastes. The Silverado is just as capable of a truck as the F150, in fact I think the engine on the Silverado is more powerful then the Ford.

Stoneage_Caddy
12-20-05, 10:47 PM
It used to be it was unacceptable for a american vehicle to go unchaged every year , in the hey day it was a big deal when the "56" would come out , just look at the "tri 5" chevys ...as years went on cars went longer and longer without year to year changes that ammounted to anything , normally options and upgrades , but styleing wouldnt change ...till by the early 90s and even afew years ago vehicles wouldnt change for 10 years , with what the industry calls a "mid life refresh" occuring halfway thu , Chevy Astro prime expample , got a refresh in 95 after 10 long years , and after 20 years on chevy dealer lots they finnally quit makeing it ..

Nowdays folks dont expect a full redesign till about 8 years into the platforms run ....but the runs are getting shorter now , chevy full size pickups are down again this time , we had the 16 year run for the 73-86 trucks , the 87-99 was 12 years , and this time its a wicked short 8 years ....i think toyota , nissan and the dodge trucks keep everyone else on there toes ....the 94 Ram really did start things in this direction ....but nissan's titan really made for firece competition lately....5 makers all looking for customers , in 87 there was just 3

Jesda
12-20-05, 10:56 PM
What is it with people thinking a car needs to be redesigned just because it is a few years old? :hmm: I think the Silverado is fine in its current state, the exterior looks great, in my opinion better then the new F150. The new F150 is a little too bulky and "bloated," for my tastes. The Silverado is just as capable of a truck as the F150, in fact I think the engine on the Silverado is more powerful then the Ford.

The interior, while quite comfortable, is cheap and not exactly nice to look at and use. Otherwise, the rest of the Silverado is fine by me. I noticed that this year they removed the full-width chrome bar, which improves looks.

90Brougham350
12-20-05, 11:05 PM
Even though I'm a member of the Fullsizechevy.com forums, I have to say that the F-150 is a superior truck. It's slower, it might look a little uglier, but it's still a better truck. Ford actually cared when they redesigned it some years ago. Look at the frame. Ford is actually advertising a pickup the way it should be, by advertising the features that make a truck a truck. They're beefy, they ride well, they can tow well, who gives a damn if the 0-60 is slower than a 1500, it's a truck. GM is redesigning their trucks for '07. Wow. Everyone here knows exactly what that means. A slightly different front-end, all cosmetic. No significant change to engine, body, or frame. F-150>1500, anyday.

Elvis
12-20-05, 11:10 PM
Even though I'm a member of the Fullsizechevy.com forums, I have to say that the F-150 is a superior truck. It's slower, it might look a little uglier, but it's still a better truck. Ford actually cared when they redesigned it some years ago. Look at the frame. Ford is actually advertising a pickup the way it should be, by advertising the features that make a truck a truck. They're beefy, they ride well, they can tow well, who gives a damn if the 0-60 is slower than a 1500, it's a truck. GM is redesigning their trucks for '07. Wow. Everyone here knows exactly what that means. A slightly different front-end, all cosmetic. No significant change to engine, body, or frame. F-150>1500, anyday.

My impression is that the next Ford re-design on the F-150 will come around two years after the new Sierra is introduced. This time around GM's changes will probably be significant, but so will Ford's.

Driving the F-150 today made me want a new Expedition when they come out. I won't get one, but I'll probably want one.

My friend told me that they're going to offer a V6 diesel. I'd consider that too.

Stoneage_Caddy
12-20-05, 11:16 PM
My impression is that the next Ford re-design on the F-150 will come around two years after the new Sierra is introduced. This time around GM's changes will probably be significant, but so will Ford's.
Driving the F-150 today made me want a new Expedition when they come out. I won't get one, but I'll probably want one.
My friend told me that they're going to offer a V6 diesel. I'd consider that too.
yah that navastar V6 is pretty neat , tho i hadnt seen anything new about it in 2 years , last i read was when it was to come out in the present fords, which never happend

Elvis
12-20-05, 11:27 PM
I just realized I posted "V6 diesel" and I think he said "I6 diesel".

Just wanted to clarify that.

SilverFleetwood85
12-21-05, 02:05 AM
Silverado Engine is superior to a Ford F150 Engine. GM uses a proven design, actually the engines they use have been around for decades. Ford on the other hand, well their engines are all very questionable.

Randy_W
12-21-05, 07:42 AM
I have to disagree with you, not on the drivetrain, but the chassis itself. It is identical to the original. You only have to check the roofline to see it. They can do all they want to the front and rear ends, but the underpinnings, frame and especially the boxy roof are all DNA from the 1982 model. This is the same as when Jeep updated the Cherokee in 1997. Same truck, just rounded off the front and rear ends.

Heres a bite from Edmunds:

After years of serving as a trim designation on the F-Series pickup, the Ranger became a separate model when Ford replaced the Mazda-supplied Courier pickup with an in-house design in 1983. The Ranger quickly became the best-selling compact pickup and has dominated the segment ever since. Today's model still rides on the same basic platform and structure as that 1983 original, though substantial revisions for 1989, 1993 and 1998 have kept the Ranger competitive...

...the Ranger's 20-year-old design just doesn't cut it anymore. Unless you're a die-hard Ford fan, we would recommend shopping the competition first

Yikes! The Ranger is almost as old as I am!!

That's like saying if you take a 4' 2x4 and build a shit house on it, then 15 years later you take a 6' 2x4 and build a mansion on it, it's the same building!
If that's the case then I guess you can't tell a MK VIII from a '77 Fairmount?:confused:

Randy_W
12-21-05, 07:48 AM
The interior, while quite comfortable, is cheap and not exactly nice to look at and use. Otherwise, the rest of the Silverado is fine by me. I noticed that this year they removed the full-width chrome bar, which improves looks.

I have a Z71 Tahoe, there's nothing cheap looking about the interior, well laid out dash, easy to reach controls that are simple to use, two tone leather, very useful console and storage space, nice stereo, good hvac. I have had several people comment on how rich looking the interior is. The center stack on late model Navigators looks like a 1948 Kelvinator! (That's a fridge, for those too young to know)

OffThaHorseCEO
12-21-05, 09:39 AM
... looks like a 1948 Kelvinator! (That's a fridge, for those too young to know)...

so you know wat it is.....but why do you think they chose the name kelvinator

Randy_W
12-21-05, 10:08 AM
Because of the Kelvin Scale! The zero point of this scale is equivalent to -273.16 °C on the Celsius scale. I'm just old, not unlearned.:thumbsup:

Jesda
12-21-05, 10:17 AM
While the F150 is much improved, the old Silverado is -still- quieter, smoother, and more comfortable. It even has better capabilities as a truck: towing, payload.

GM wont have to do a whole lot to update it. The other truck I like is the Titan. Unfortunately for Nissan, the lack of engine and body configurations will keep it off the radar for most professional truck owners.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-05, 11:35 AM
I like the Titans a lot, I know when they came out they had a problem with the brakes being too small, and they would always warp, and they have a problem with the BCM IIRC. I see a lot of warranty work being done to fix that at my job.
What do you guys think of the Toyota Tundra? I like it but it never seemed as "heavy duty" as the American counterparts or the Titan.

90Brougham350
12-21-05, 12:26 PM
A lot of guys that buy trucks are going to buy American trucks because they've always driven American trucks. American car companies build trucks because Americans use their trucks. Japanese car companies had to build trucks to be competitive. Frankly, I wouldn't buy a Titan or a Tundra no matter how well they did in consumer reports because I just believe that American trucks are superior. And regarding American trucks I still stick with the F-150. It just feels like a better truck when you're riding inside of it. I really like the interior as compared to the Silverado.

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/FordF150/Images/Dash.jpg

vs

http://media.automotive.com/evox/stilllib/chevrolet/silverado%201500/2005/4pu-4-l/59.jpg

Engine-wise, Ford manages to get 365 ft. lbs of torque from their 5.4 Triton @ 3750 rpm, whereas you need the 6.0 Chevy to make 360 ft. lbs at 4000 rpm. You can get the 8.1 in the Chevy, but if you're going to spend that much, you may as well as get the diesel. I don't see the Chevy engine as superior, unless you're talking about DoD. I just believe the F-150 is a superior truck, but the Silverado is a fine truck as well. I won't even put the Dodge in here, that thing is an embarassment to trucks American and foreign.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-05, 12:28 PM
Why don't you like the Ram?

Jesda
12-21-05, 02:28 PM
Doesnt Dodge have major V8 engine failure issues?

90Brougham350
12-21-05, 03:10 PM
I don't know about any proof of that, but I've heard that. Reason I don't like Rams is those rediculous rims and the macho styling. I think the last generation of Rams was very sharp looking for a truck.

Elvis
12-21-05, 04:25 PM
Dodge has some transmission issues in the Rams. I know a guy who had one. Bad slippage before 20,000 miles. Dodge wouldn't replace it unless it completely failed.

He dumped it in fear of the repair bills after the warranty expired.

I've ridden in a Sierra within the past year. Not as quiet as the F-150, and the seats weren't as comfortable either. The interior of the F-150 certainly looks more modern, while the GM truck interior is the same across the board whether it's the Sierra or the Suburban.

I dunno about the engine reliability. I think they're both pretty good, and we know that the GM will get better mileage.

SilverFleetwood85
12-21-05, 05:12 PM
How is the Ford's interior any better then the Silverados/Sierras?
http://www.gmc.com/images/sierra/photos/s1500_int_steer_lrg.jpg

Jesda
12-21-05, 06:50 PM
The wide panel gaps and hollow cheap plastic make it seem uninviting and low-rent. The layout, however, is excellent.

Caddy Man
12-21-05, 07:06 PM
. Reason I don't like Rams is those rediculous rims and the macho styling.
Rims you can change, and macho styling??? Sorry, but isnt that what a truck is about?? You want it to look like a Honda or something?

SilverFleetwood85
12-21-05, 07:12 PM
The wide panel gaps and hollow cheap plastic make it seem uninviting and low-rent. The layout, however, is excellent.

Maybe because it is an older design but it is still better then a Rams interior and the previous F150s.

Playdrv4me
12-21-05, 07:36 PM
That's like saying if you take a 4' 2x4 and build a shit house on it, then 15 years later you take a 6' 2x4 and build a mansion on it, it's the same building!
If that's the case then I guess you can't tell a MK VIII from a '77 Fairmount?:confused:

That doesnt make any sense. What I said was akin to taking a 40 year old house and putting a brand new Home Theater system in it. Its still the same house with the same squeaks, creaks and sticky doors.

The Rangers skin and frame are roughly (and I say roughly because according to Stoney a couple of minor things changed) the same as they were 20 years ago.

Playdrv4me
12-21-05, 07:38 PM
Dodge has some transmission issues in the Rams. I know a guy who had one. Bad slippage before 20,000 miles. Dodge wouldn't replace it unless it completely failed.
I've ridden in a Sierra within the past year. Not as quiet as the F-150, and the seats weren't as comfortable either. The interior of the F-150 certainly looks more modern, while the GM truck interior is the same across the board whether it's the Sierra or the Suburban.
I dunno about the engine reliability. I think they're both pretty good, and we know that the GM will get better mileage.

I had an Avalanche and I thought the interior was more purposeful, but alot less civil than the one in the new F150. There were a TON of hard plastic parts in the dash of the Avalanche. Stuff Id hate to smack into in a crash.

90Brougham350
12-21-05, 09:08 PM
How is the Ford's interior any better then the Silverados/Sierras?
http://www.gmc.com/images/sierra/photos/s1500_int_steer_lrg.jpg

Maybe if we were living in Pleasantville the GM truck interiors would be better, but we don't, and the human eye enjoys more than one color to look at. The monotone craplastic is decidedly boring, and let's face it, the steering wheel is fugly.

90Brougham350
12-21-05, 09:12 PM
Rims you can change, and macho styling??? Sorry, but isnt that what a truck is about?? You want it to look like a Honda or something?

Rims can be changed, but it's a truck, should they have to be? Trucks are about rough, rugged, durable, etc. styling. I wouldn't want to drive a truck that looks like one of the guys that tried too hard in highschool weight lifting class. Come on, look at construction. Around here everyone drives a 2500 Silverado dually or a black F-150. Yes, I know that where you are, nobody drives anything but Dodges in construction.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-21-05, 09:17 PM
Maybe if we were living in Pleasantville the GM truck interiors would be better, but we don't, and the human eye enjoys more than one color to look at. The monotone craplastic is decidedly boring, and let's face it, the steering wheel is fugly.

I like the Sierra/Silverado's full guage setup. I dont think they offer full guages on the Ram.

Randy_W
12-21-05, 09:24 PM
That doesnt make any sense. What I said was akin to taking a 40 year old house and putting a brand new Home Theater system in it. Its still the same house with the same squeaks, creaks and sticky doors.

The Rangers skin and frame are roughly (and I say roughly because according to Stoney a couple of minor things changed) the same as they were 20 years ago.

It's funny how when you dissagree, it makes no sense, unless of course you say it first. The newer Ranger shares 20% of the frame and less than 10% body structure from the original, this according to Ford. So by you're own reckoning, all Fox platform Fords must be the same basic car, since they share about 30% common componants structurelly, this also by Ford's own admission. I'm surprised you can tell the Fairmont from an '03 Mustang, let alone the T-Birds and MK's from that era.

PS; They didn't take the same 20 year old Rangers and change the sheet metal, they built new frames with better componants and stronger steel, longer wheelbases, etc..., loosely based on the old frame to save r&d money.
It's not the same truck, it's a decendant, much like the MK is a decendant of the Fairmount. Does that make sense, now?

Stoneage_Caddy
12-21-05, 09:28 PM
Ive always liked the gauge cluster and steering wheel in the silverado , esp when you get the tranny temp gauge...and the cool wallet holder beside the left part of the cluster...always hated the rest of the dash , even more when i saw a 2nd gen escalade for the first time , couldnt belive it got that dash ....only time that dash kicks ass is when your a passenger and your offroading , that "oh shit" handle above the passenger bag is pretty damn useful

Night Wolf
12-21-05, 11:47 PM

That problem was only in 1994-~1998 RAM's....

There was no check valve within the trans, causing all the fluid to drain out on engine shut down, so each time it is started, the trans is starved of ATF.....

Once the new check valve was used, it was fine. If you buy a reman trans from Dodge, it is all fixed.

the NEW RAM's do not have that problem, if you buddy had an issue, then it was a random thing.

I personally have a hard time picking a truck....

It really depends on how much money I would have..... *IF* I wasn't getting the Jeep next, OR I wanted to spend less money on a "new" vehicle, I would get a truck... my Jeep budget would be around $18k, which is kinda high to me.... however, the truck budget would be about $10k, much more appealing IMO.

I like the prevoius generation RAM. The styling, is freakin cool, they are handsome, macho looking trucks. They looked great in extended cab, short bed. The interior is pretty good and the 5.2 Magnum (basically a new version of the 318 :) ) is a pretty stout engine.

The 24-valve Cummins Turbo Diesel is a freakin beast of an engine.... I love that thing.

I do not like '88-'98 (?) Silverado... the interiors in them were really bad IMO.

However, the 1999+ Silverado is sweet!

I like the 1999-2003(?) style a little better... yeah the new look is alot more aggressive and cool looking... but the first style is just a little more toned down and more my type. The interior is great, I really like the way it was set up. The Vortec 5300 is a great engine too.

Last year in Texas, I got to drive a 2000 Silverado 1500 extended cab, short bed, LS, Z71, green with sweet grille guard..... around for a little bit. That is the EXACT truck I would want, love the green, extended cab (not quad cab) is a must, the off-road package is a must and the grille guard is nice. I gotta say, I really enjoyed driving the truck alot!

I don't like the '97-'04 F-150, don't like the exterior styling at all.... which is why I woudln't consider it.

Going older, the '92-'96 F-150 was a freakin SWEET truck... same chassis since 1980, but I just really like that nose. The interior isn't bad, it has vent windows.... extended cabs are rare and kind of ugly, and damn, the 300 I6 is a sweet engine... though only mostly used int he work truck versions.

The NEW RAM's are REALLY nice looking, nice interior too... and I *would* consider a new Hemi-powered RAM..... but it is either regular cab or quad cab.... no extended cab.... I dunno, that kinda turns me off about them.... plus, they are still a good chunk of change.

the NEW F-150's are pretty nice.... but I dunno, I don't think I would go with it...

The ~1997+ F-250/F-350 is a SWEET looking truck, very nice, reminds me of the 1980-1996 F-150, yet is just better... with this, I would HAVE to get the Powerstroke though.

For small trucks, a 2001-2005 (?) Toyota Tacoma is my absolute favorite! I completly love the exterior styling, interior is pretty good. It would have to be extended cab and TRD, it would have the 3400 DOHC V6, which I am not completly fond of (DOHC in a truck?) but they seem good. It would also be a 5spd. I would want one well-optioned... no leather, maybe a sun roof, but the rear locker would be really nice and power options.

The Tacoma would be more of a fun truck then a work truck. Any would be a dialy driver... but even the 1/2 tons are much better for towing and hauling... its just that I won't really be doing any of that, I want a truck.... because I want a truck..... and off-roading... in which case the Tacoma TRD is insane offroad.... which is why it would be a HARD decsion betwen the last gen RAM/Silverado/Tacoma....

In about 2 years, once I am done with tech school, know where I'll be for awhile, and look over my budget, is when I am going to get a newer vehicle and retire the DeVille from daily driver. 6 years is fine by that time....

My first choice is a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, preferably '05/'06 for the 6-spd manual, but and ('03+) would work, if a good deal. I would like Patriot Blue (such as this one) with a soft top... AC and cruise are a must too. I want a manual, I want a 4x4 and I want a convertible. The 4.0 I6 is nothing short of amazing... and its a Jeep... nothing else like it, period. it is the PERFECT vehicle for me.

http://classyauto.com/image.php?image_id=93104

*IF* I didn't get the Jeep... or I realized I want to spend alot less for a newer truck (but still want a newer truck) I would go with a previous generation RAM, as I described eailer.... probably automatic, tho I would be leery about the condition of the trans. For these RAM's I like green or red... green is my favorite though, this is a bad picture but in the day when it is shining, it is nice...

http://i3.ebayimg.com/03/a/05/ca/42/5b_4.JPG

However, it would be REALLY tough between that, or the Tacoma, I would have to think long and hard..... and go for a long drive in both, however, as much as I like the RAM, I think I would go with the Taco, because it just seems like a more fitting truck for me and my use. Just like I sad above, this must be a 5spd, TRD, extended cab. I would prefer green (really nice green) but this silver is nice... rear locker would be great to have also.... I really like this truck alot...

http://i12.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/c3/67/c7_1.JPG

Then of course, there is the Silverado, I really like this truck, and it would have to be green.... but I dunno, between the RAM, and the Tacoma, I think I would pass it up... used to be my favorite of the bunch too.... amazing truck, but I just have a thing for the RAM, and I mentioned why I like the Tacoma so much.

http://i3.ebayimg.com/02/i/05/54/ed/e2_3.JPG?set_id=100D

Really for me, it first matters of how much money.... I am pretty much set on the Jeep, but *if* I didn't get that, it would be a Tacoma TRD. If that was still too much money but I want a truck... then a ~2000 RAM.... nice one for under $10k now, imagine in 2 years :)

Kev
12-21-05, 11:49 PM
So, Rick, are you paid by the word or what? :p
'Cause if you are you deserve a bonus man!

:duck:

Night Wolf
12-21-05, 11:56 PM
Heh....

If you think THATS long, then you should see the heated debate about politics/religion on the Grand Am site I was in.... each post was about twice that, and there had to be a dozen posts :)

I am used to it though, I can bang these posts out pretty good. :)

Oh yeah, any of those trucks, the first thing to do is yank off the side steps... they aren't needed on a stock, or mild truck at all, just lower ground clearance :)

As you can tell, I am pretty much throughly tired of the luxury car seen... really, no more cars, I want a truck :) IF I was getting another car, it would probably be a 1995 Eldorado ETC... but I am not.... I want a truck pretty bad :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-22-05, 12:02 AM
oh god you got rick started on full size trucks!

Night Wolf
12-22-05, 12:39 AM
Caddys, full size trucks, vintage stereo equipment, home aduio/theater, car audio, Cessna/Lycoming.... many, many, many more....

Kids, this is what happens when you don't smoke weed, have sex, get in trouble with the cops, become a ricer.... and other typical stuff kids do durring their high school life.... you learn lots and lots and lots of useless..... or useful (whichever way you look at it) facts.... and spend your weekends working on your car(s) instead of going to parties.... spend after school getting high in an airplane instead of smoking :).... among many other things :)

Nobody wants to be like me when they grow up :) Wow, I sound old now....

Kev
12-22-05, 12:44 AM
Aw, gee Rick, I want to be like you when I grow up! :rolleyes: :p

Night Wolf
12-22-05, 12:46 AM
Aw, gee Rick, I want to be like you when I grow up! :rolleyes: :p

:cool:

Kev
12-22-05, 12:48 AM
:cool:And I mean that in a good way too! ;)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-22-05, 01:11 AM
Caddys, full size trucks, vintage stereo equipment, home aduio/theater, car audio, Cessna/Lycoming.... many, many, many more....

Kids, this is what happens when you don't smoke weed, have sex, get in trouble with the cops, become a ricer.... and other typical stuff kids do durring their high school life.... you learn lots and lots and lots of useless..... or useful (whichever way you look at it) facts.... and spend your weekends working on your car(s) instead of going to parties.... spend after school getting high in an airplane instead of smoking :).... among many other things :)

Nobody wants to be like me when they grow up :) Wow, I sound old now....

Oh god I know, I have yet to meet someone who can memorize licence plates like I can!

DopeStar 156
12-22-05, 01:53 AM
As far as trucks go in order of preference I'd go with the Silverado. Then the F-150, then the Dodge Ram. My mom has an 03 F-150 Lariat in black with tan accents and that thing has the Triton 5.4 Liter V8. I had to borrow that truck a few times when either Chevy and Caddy were both unavailable for some reason or another. It's bad ass to drive and really powerful, big difference than my usual 6 inch lift off the ground. However my mom's truck is a "fru-fru" truck as my dad and myself call it. It's got a Lincoln ECC system, a sunroof, heated leather seats, tons of little pockets and pouches, not very rugged since it has a lot of luxury car options in it. if I were buying a truck I'd get something rugged that would look best with mud all slicked up the side.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-22-05, 02:00 AM
I think trucks at their core should be very rugged which is why I like the 92-96 F-150s. It was the last years they werent very luxurious. But trucks like the new F Series Lariat and King Ranch are very cool too!

Kev
12-22-05, 02:03 AM
A year or so ago, my cousin, who has always had Chevy trucks beginning with a beat up old 54 in which he dropped a Corvette small block, bought a behemoth F-350 diesel to tow his new 5th wheel trailer.
I was quite surprised at his choice but he said he'd driven Chevy's and decided on the Ford instead.

And it is a very nice truck too.

Jesda
12-22-05, 10:41 AM
Domestic truck comparison with hottie Dagmar Midcap:

http://www.drivingtelevision.com/clips/310/03TruckComp310.wmv

Elvis
12-22-05, 10:44 AM
Maybe because it is an older design but it is still better then a Rams interior and the previous F150s.

That's all I meant. Until this 2004 redesign, I never liked the F-150.

90Brougham350
12-22-05, 12:22 PM
I think trucks at their core should be very rugged which is why I like the 92-96 F-150s. It was the last years they werent very luxurious. But trucks like the new F Series Lariat and King Ranch are very cool too!

I really like that styling as well. It's not gaudy or showy, it just looks nice. But you're right, the King Ranch, now that's a truck!

thu
12-22-05, 04:03 PM
I know what it's like having a nice big truck. I used to have a 2000 Ford F-250 SuperCab Lariat 4x4. Bought it brand new. Leather Captain's Chairs, running boards, 7.4L PowerStroke Diesel, and everything. It was great.

I had to dump it in 2003.

DopeStar 156
12-22-05, 04:27 PM
I would get a 70's Chevy Scottsdale pick up in black with metallic purple flakes in the clear coat with monster truck wheels lifted 5 feet and diamond treaded running boards and rear bumper with massive metal spikes protruding from the center caps and front bumper guards with purple backlighting behind the grille and side pipes. Meh, why not, how about a minigun turret mounted in the bed....

90Brougham350
12-22-05, 04:59 PM
My best friend drives a '81 K1500. He's got a ZZ4 with a HOT cam and 4.10 gears. Older trucks are pretty damned sweet when they're done right, especially with 425 ft. lbs and 410 horsepower. Everyone on campus knows where the big thick stripes in the parking lots come from!