: I-Pod Kit - Battery Draw?

end9472
12-20-05, 02:25 PM
I had the new I-pod kit installed last week. Two days ago, my battery was dead. I checked with the installer and they told me they hooked the I-Pod kit up properly (using info from GM) and that there should be no draw with the car off. When I took the car in for service at the dealer they said the dead battery was because of the draw from the I-pod kit. Anyone with this kit experienced similar problems?

(BTW - I have had issues in the past with a dead battery (replaced twice under warranty) and am aware a TSB was put out by GM about battery draw on the CTS.)

dqw1
12-20-05, 02:31 PM
No issues with mine. Hard to imagine the pod drawing enough power to kill the battery.

brtnharv
12-20-05, 02:33 PM
What is the Ipod kit you speak of? Is this a GM licensed product?

ctsvett
12-20-05, 02:39 PM
Hooked it up according to info from GM? What the f? It's simply plug and play and they should not need to Hook up anything other than plug it in...

What kit are you talking about? The radiosandmore.com kit fucntions ont eh same circuit as the radio and will shut itself off when the radio shuts itself off on RAP....

Reed

end9472
12-20-05, 02:58 PM
Hooked it up according to info from GM? What the f? It's simply plug and play and they should not need to Hook up anything other than plug it in...

What kit are you talking about? The radiosandmore.com kit fucntions ont eh same circuit as the radio and will shut itself off when the radio shuts itself off on RAP....

Reed

Reed:

It is the readiosandmore.com kit. That was my thinking exactly - that it should shut off when the radio shuts off - and in fact it did shut off after turning the car off and opening the doors. So I think it was hooked up to the correct circuit. Anyway, the dealer is telling me they traced the draw to the I-pod interface. My experience is that anything you put on your car that wasn't from the factory is automatically suspected to be the cause of all future problems.

So once I get the car back from the dealer it looks like I'm off to the stereo shop as it appears it was either hooked up to the wrong circuit or the dealer is clueless - both seem equally plausible.

lasstss
12-20-05, 03:05 PM
No issues with mine. Hard to imagine the pod drawing enough power to kill the battery.

Agreed, an I pod is a fart in a hurricane! You have a dog for a Battery. It seems that in addition to the diff, they skimped on the battery too. If it hasnt been replaced, it needs to be. They are bsing you.:helpless:

ctsvett
12-20-05, 04:29 PM
I have had my battery die 2 times since I have owned the car with no "real explanation... Both times, I jumped it and it didnt happen again (except the second time about a year later)...

The first time, I tried some weird stuff with the key in the door and it was dead the next day... Not a likely reason to kill it, but its all I have..

The second time was after a reflash back to stock... that could have been it, but I drove it after the flash and everything was normal. Same deal, next morning it was dead.. I jumped it and have had no problems since...

I really think that there are just bugs in the system sometimes and the RAP doesnt go off, or soemthing weird happens to keep it from going off and the battery dies... Its not an acceptable answer and I cant find any relation between my experiences... Unless it happens everytime (Barak!) then the dealer is going to have a hard time tracking it down...

However, to answer this thread and to back up marty, I doubt VERY SERIOUSLY that it is the ipod interface... I also doubt that the autoshop could hook it up wrong as there is NO way to do that since you just plug it into the harness...

Reed

ososlow
12-21-05, 02:51 AM
Tell them to prove it. I install 12 volt accy's for a living. When I go to the dealers with my customers and ask them to prove it they never can. They just use aftermarket stuff to blame the problems on because the "technician" couldn't or doesn't know how to troubleshoot. Most just replace parts. There are some techs who know better, but they are hard to find.