: Tell me about Competition Mode

brtnharv
12-20-05, 12:51 PM
Guys, ever since I got my V I have not been able to get it into competition mode. My TPS sensors work and my NAV has been replaced. I'm thinking the NAV has not been set up correctly for a V. The one dealer I was at had no clue what I was talking about so I said hell with it and got the car back (this was during my rear end replacement). Anyways, what am I missing out on? Is this mode just a less restrictive traction control setting or is there engine management involved? Thanks again.

lawfive
12-20-05, 01:10 PM
First push: traction control off, stability control on
Second push: "competition mode" = traction control off, stability control reduced

I had the same problem when my Nav was replaced: no competition mode and no personalization features. A knowledgeable technician can fix it given a few minutes and a Tech 2 programmer. You just need to find a knowledgeable technician, or gently guide your service department to the right answer. It's all written down for them somewhere in GM speak.

lawfive
12-20-05, 01:15 PM
Note that you can get sideways some when you're in competition mode. Danger, Will Robinson! Stabilitrack will kick in to try and save you but it will kick in much later than usual, late enough so that you may have already lost some lower G.I. mass. I'm here to tell ya...

Ghost-V
12-20-05, 01:17 PM
Competition Mode fully disables traction control, and allows greater yaw rates before kicking in StabiliTrak. Can you toggle the traction control button on the steering wheel to any of the available modes? There is also a t/c button inside the glove compartment. (Why's that? Probably a CTS hold-over.)

brtnharv
12-20-05, 01:22 PM
Thanks guys.

Competition Mode fully disables traction control, and allows greater yaw rates before kicking in StabiliTrak. Can you toggle the traction control button on the steering wheel to any of the available modes? There is also a t/c button inside the glove compartment. (Why's that? Probably a CTS hold-over.)

I can toggle traction control on and off, and also hold the T/C button and turn off StabiliTrak. I never see a screen for competion mode.

Here is another question - why would competition mode be dependant on the TPS functionality? :confused:

lawfive
12-20-05, 01:41 PM
I can toggle traction control on and off, and also hold the T/C button and turn off StabiliTrak. I never see a screen for competion mode.

That's the way it was for me, too.

brtnharv
12-20-05, 01:46 PM
I wish there was some type of document I could print out and take to the dealer and say .."Here just follow this - thanks"

I've tried to explain the problem to 2 dealers now either they've never heard of the problem or don't know how to fix it.

Joey'sVee
12-20-05, 01:51 PM
It's all in your owners manual, i think. push it once and TC is off...again within 5 seconds and its in comp driving mode...or hold it to turn everything off.

Dreamin
12-20-05, 02:05 PM

How do you guys know you're in Comp mode if you never see the screen?

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/tpm/5.jpg

LV_V
12-20-05, 02:10 PM
I had the EXACT same problem after having my NAV replaced. My dealer also had no idea what I was talking about (WHAT A F'ING SURPRISE!). I finally got them to call someone, don't know who, at GM who instructed the service tech to perform the Tech 2 reprogram on the NAV unit. They fixed everything while I waited (about 30 minutes) and I was on my way WITH Comp Mode on ;)

brtnharv
12-20-05, 03:13 PM
How do you guys know you're in Comp mode if you never see the screen?

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/tpm/5.jpg

Damn that is cool. Wish mine did that... Any dealer technicians out there have a how-to on this, or even a reference number to some documentation? I'm sure this would be helpful in the future for other V owners as well...rather than going around and around with an unknowing dealer.

joshdctsv
12-20-05, 03:15 PM
Why have you guys been getting your NAV replaced? Just the button wear problem?

Joey'sVee
12-20-05, 04:00 PM
Why have you guys been getting your NAV replaced? Just the button wear problem?

yelp!

Mat347
12-20-05, 05:28 PM
Not to thread jack...but how severe was your button wear? I have a chip out of a corner of one button so far.

Lindsay Cadillac
12-20-05, 05:29 PM
Here's the deal;

Competitive Driving Mode Not Displayed after Radio Replacement - kw ABS audio display navigation repair program Stabilitrak SWC TCS TRAC Off #PIC3174 - (Sep 29, 2004)
Competitive Driving Mode Not Displayed after Radio Replacement
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.
Condition/Concern:
Customer or technician may have a concern of "Competitive Driving Mode" display missing after a radio replacement. Current Tech 2 software does not support the CTS-V.
Recommendation/Instructions:
The Technician should contact Techline Customer Support Center at 1-800-828-6860 for an updated Tech 2 calibration until the release of Tech 2 software version 24.007
Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.
Models:
(2004 2005 Cadillac CTS-V )

ctsvett
12-20-05, 05:31 PM
Oh, yeah.. I forgot about that TSB.... Its up in the TSB library...

I need to work on a TSB search... I'll get on that...

Reed

Lindsay Cadillac
12-20-05, 05:35 PM
Oh, yeah.. I forgot about that TSB.... Its up in the TSB library...
I need to work on a TSB search... I'll get on that...
Reed
Slacker...

j/k

brtnharv
12-20-05, 08:03 PM
Thanks guys.

I'm sorry to keep being a pain, but I did an IE search on the FAQ TSB page for PIC3174, mode, driving, competitive..couldn't find anything.

ctsvett
12-20-05, 09:27 PM
Weird... Somehow it wasnt listed..

it is now..

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/pi/PIC3174.pdf

Reed

calicadi
12-20-05, 10:38 PM
Thanks guys.

I'm sorry to keep being a pain, but I did an IE search on the FAQ TSB page for PIC3174, mode, driving, competitive..couldn't find anything.

You're not a pain, we always help each other out. And here's another... there are other conditions that will lock out competion mode. One is tires that are over- or under-pressured. The manual might state what the operating range is, don't recall off hand. On the high side I think it's > 37 psi.

I'm guessing they wrote the program such that any condition that's a compromise of safety or reliability will cause a lock out. Anyone aware of other specfic conditions?

brtnharv
12-21-05, 05:58 PM
You're not a pain, we always help each other out. And here's another... there are other conditions that will lock out competion mode. One is tires that are over- or under-pressured. The manual might state what the operating range is, don't recall off hand. On the high side I think it's > 37 psi.

I'm guessing they wrote the program such that any condition that's a compromise of safety or reliability will cause a lock out. Anyone aware of other specfic conditions?

Hence the reason if the TPS sensors are not working competition mode is not available? Touche.

Dreamin
12-21-05, 07:03 PM
Unless all four TPS's are not working (or removed from wheels), then the system shuts-itself-off and you can get into Comp mode.

Clear as mud right?