: Dealer Drilled Plate Holes

Kidhummer
12-18-05, 01:43 PM
The dealer put on a plate holder on my 2006 CTS-V and when I took it off I had 4 large ugly holes. I don't want bumper plugs, and I do not want to repaint the whole bumper. How can I get the clean look without the holes?

04CTSVFLA
12-18-05, 02:51 PM
shouldn't of bought a dealer-prepped V.

04CTSVFLA
12-18-05, 02:51 PM
but since you did, some companies make black plastic filler screws that look so-so (alot better than the holes tho).

Florian
12-18-05, 03:05 PM
I mounted my plate to the lower grill.

F

Kidhummer
12-18-05, 03:53 PM
I have the bumper plugs..im so pissed.damn dealer

ewill3rd
12-18-05, 05:23 PM
If you live in a state where the front plate is required, they are required by law to install them. I know it sucks though.
I don't really have a resolution for you, just wanted to make that comment.

CRZY747
12-19-05, 09:01 AM
Hey do they make black screws for the bumper that make it look okay. I have the plate on the front and hate it. I need a remedy for this problem. Anyone with some ideas.

daytripper
12-19-05, 11:24 AM
This question has been asked many times before. I faced the same situation when I picked up an out of state (never titled) car from a front plate state and took it home to a state without fronts. Add it to the list of gripes about GM dealers, and lack of concern for their customers.

If you search for bumper plugs on the forum, you can see pics of cars that have color-matched and black plugs in place. To my eye, these are an inelegant solution, and don't look much better than having the eyesore front plate mount in place, but does look better than the raggedy holes left behind.

I thought of purchasing a new front bumper cover and having it painted off the car and installing it myself. I don't want to take the chance of a poor paint match on the original though (expecially, with the multi-stage redline paint.)

The V bumper cover lists for $521.61 (part# 12334777), but GMPD has it for $328.36 (yeah, plus I'm sure some crazy high shipping cost). Maybe we could do a group buy through Lindsey Cadillac, and get it for something thereabouts (and maybe also get them to paint it). The parts list lists about 3 hrs paint time and another 1.5 for install, I think. Looking at the parts involved, it looks like the install is something you could do yourself to save some bucks.

This is a lot of work to go through to fix a dealer screw-up, but in my mind its that or keep the ugly grey plate mount. I presume a patch/retouch could be done without removeing the bumper cover from the car, but I can't imagine that wouldn't turn out badly in terms of paint match/blend.

Would any of you guys be interested in doing a group purchase on the front cover?

Brian R.

wooderson
12-19-05, 10:32 PM
If you live in a state where the front plate is required, they are required by law to install them. I know it sucks though.
I don't really have a resolution for you, just wanted to make that comment.I picked up my new '06 just tonight and was pleasantly surprised when they asked if I wanted the front plate mounted. I live in NY where it is required but opted not to have the holes drilled. The nose looks so clean and mean, couldn't bring myself to have them hack it up.

crowan
12-19-05, 11:05 PM
Sometimes its better to just bite the bullet and get the holes filled and the part repainted. The dealership that you bought the car from may give you a deal at "cost" to have a happy customer.

The alternative is to look at plugs every day or spend hours attempting a do-it-yourself job that may not turn out as planned.

For a major purchase like the V, do what you have to do to be completely satisfied and move forward. JMO.

CR

PS. My state requires a front plate but my dealer gave me the option of leaving the front bracket off. My front plate continues to ride in my trunk.

cts-v ls6
12-20-05, 08:16 AM
Guys,

You can get anything you want at dealer's cost from Fred Bean Pontiac. It's where I got my '06 rear end. They're great to deal with. No group buy required.

Jack

04CTSVforMe
12-20-05, 12:53 PM
I don't really have a resolution for you, just wanted to make that comment.

Yeah...unless you tell them that you are buying it for your collection or some other "valid" reason.

I was able to keep holes from being drilled in the last 3 cars I bought in a state where it was "required". :shhh:

NORRISK66
12-20-05, 01:50 PM
You may have kept the holes from being drilled-that doesn't mean that someone could still be held liable if anything related to the plate frame not being there happened.

crowan
12-20-05, 02:08 PM
You may have kept the holes from being drilled-that doesn't mean that someone could still be held liable if anything related to the plate frame not being there happened.

Huh?:hmm: