: CTS-V vs 550i

robcol
12-18-05, 02:36 PM
Which would you pick and why? I realize by asking this on this forum the answers will be weighted, but I am in a position to get either and wanted to see the opinion of experts.:thumbsup:

heavymetals
12-18-05, 02:46 PM
Go get a 550i.

I don't want you in front of me....:histeric:

CVP33
12-18-05, 03:02 PM
:histeric: I agree. I never like a fair fight. Please buy the 550i, especially if you're a good driver.

MacOSR
12-18-05, 03:59 PM
Although I can't speak to the 550 I will post a comparison between my BMW M5 and the CTS-V (2004) when my M5 arrives next week. There is obviously a performance difference between the BMW 550i and the BMW M5.

willsctsv
12-18-05, 04:04 PM
What kind of driver are you? Do you prefer an automatic and a more cushy ride or a stiffer performance feel?
What kind of rides have you owned before?
Also the fun factor, You won't be getting the 540 sideways leaving a gas station, or smoking the tires, or chirping gears, or.........

MCaesar
12-18-05, 04:06 PM
Don't underestimate the 550i.

This is not the 540. It is a powerful car with tons of refinement. It is not that much slower than the V. The one I drove had too much of the electronic controls though. I prefer the direct feel of the V.

arr0gant
12-18-05, 04:18 PM
I'm really glad you started this thread -- I started a thread recently comparing the 2 vehicles. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59908&highlight=550i

I was really looking for someones review who has drivin' it (since there aren't many out there).

Since this is a new car, just released, and roughly the same price as a new V, I am really curious to see how these 2 cars compare in the real world.

robcol
12-18-05, 05:32 PM
Just a quick note. I have owned a MB C36 which was an awesome overall car although not the quickest in the world. I had a 2002 Z06, I have had a Porsche 944 Turbo with a racing suspension I put on it. I had a 1996 H1 Hummer which was great for off road as you could imagine and as of late not much. I love a stiff ride and don't care about bumps in the road as that is how a car is supposed to ride if it corners halfway worth a damn. I am a fair driver and at one time prior to marriage took a few SCCA courses but never raced. I want a manual transmission. It appears from the best I can tell the 550i is dead on to the numbers a CTS-V posts. The interior of the Bimmer is more refined naturally it should be for $20k more. It is interesting to read the replies. Thanks.

urbanski
12-18-05, 05:46 PM
the SRT8 is better than the V

MCaesar
12-18-05, 06:06 PM
the SRT8 is better than the V

That wasn't a choice!

robcol
12-18-05, 06:22 PM
I guess the other thing in my mind is that with the 2004-2005 CTS-V the LS2 engine has been a tried and true engine with aftermarket mods available and tested on both platforms the engine was created for. I don't see where there is any moving up on a Bimmer except possibly a Dinan chip and/or exhaust. The only other issue is when the car gets "sick" the CTS-V has intown disease. The Bimmer has 90min out of town disease. That is definitely a factor. I am probably thinking about this way too much.

thebigjimsho
12-18-05, 06:24 PM
the SRT8 is better than the VWhat, did you pull something while putting in all that deadener? Post some bunnies.

MCaesar
12-18-05, 06:37 PM
How many people here have actually driven a 550i, V, SRT8, and GTO?

wildwhl
12-18-05, 07:12 PM
I've driven an SRT8, GTO, and V...and a brief bit of time in the new M5 while in Germany...but quite frankly, I'll still pick the V out of that group.

However, if I weren't interested in modifying my vehicle, the 550i would be a great choice (it would appear). Just don't know if I can handle the bimmer stereotype and, more importantly, I know I can't handle dealing with the local service department/dealership.

Merry Xmas everybody. Snow here today - the Dunlop M3's did great - and the snow man we built this morning is gone now fromthe rain...but that's a threadjack :D

WW

willsctsv
12-18-05, 07:13 PM
Go test drive both cars, and report back. You have had other performance vehicles so you know what you want!
Good luck!

V-Beach
12-18-05, 07:17 PM
The 550 is gonna cost in the 60's so you might as well go for the M5. Don't be cheap.

arr0gant
12-18-05, 07:22 PM
Just a quick note. I have owned a MB C36 which was an awesome overall car although not the quickest in the world. I had a 2002 Z06, I have had a Porsche 944 Turbo with a racing suspension I put on it. I had a 1996 H1 Hummer which was great for off road as you could imagine and as of late not much. I love a stiff ride and don't care about bumps in the road as that is how a car is supposed to ride if it corners halfway worth a damn. I am a fair driver and at one time prior to marriage took a few SCCA courses but never raced. I want a manual transmission. It appears from the best I can tell the 550i is dead on to the numbers a CTS-V posts. The interior of the Bimmer is more refined naturally it should be for $20k more. It is interesting to read the replies. Thanks.

The 550i is not 20k more. It is only margionally more. If you add all the options the V has, it WOULD prolly come out 10 to 15k more or so.

robcol
12-18-05, 07:45 PM
Just for the record, a tricked out 550i is about $69. The CTS-V by comparison with everything is $53, but can be had for less.

CVP33
12-18-05, 09:21 PM
If cost to performance ratio is your main concern and you want an auto get one of the SRT-8's.

If the above is true except you want a stick get the V.

Money no object, quit playing around and get a new M5.

Getting the V got me the performance I wanted and also I can personally work on the car myself. Something I couldn't do with an E55 or M5. I like modifying my car myself as much as I can. I hate to admit, I actually enjoy changing the oil, trans and rear diff' fluid. Sad ain't it? :cookoo:

arr0gant
12-18-05, 09:41 PM
Listen, I LOVE my new V! It is an amazing f*ing car; that said, there are alot of issues with the V. The only major one being the wheel-hop issue. This MUST be fixed for me to feel like this car is whole. The others are smaller, refinement issues. Little things that bother me, such as; the fact that my key is exaclty the same key that the guy with the cavelier. The parking brake, the dinging, size of the steering wheel and more LITTLE things that I can live with, but would rather not.

BMW, Merc, et al understand what me, as an enthusiast craves. It's the little things, such as a really cool key that costs $250. They also refine the inside to make sure that it suits me, they do everything to make sure the car coddles. They're artists. Doesn't it strike you all as odd that we have to buy aftermarket carpeting and are willing to spend $200+ to get it? These are some of the reasons why the BMW's costs so much more money. GM just doesn't get it.

Bimmer's are awsum cars and I LOVE the Bimmer badge and heratige. The 550i's looks both in AND out are beautiful. If it performs close to the V and for 5 to 10k more it is a car that I would surely consider. That is just my opinion.

This takes NOTHING away from my passion for the V. Just my honest opinion for someone who has owned 2 Bimmers and currently owns a Boxster S.

Also, when I get into my Porsche, the V does NOT compare to it. Just like when I get into my V, the Porsche DOES NOT compare to it either.

Not sure I i answered your question of which would I chose. In the end, I WILL have to drive the 550i as well as see the numbers before I could answer definitivly, but it sure seems to be a compelling package. :)

arr0gant
12-18-05, 09:50 PM
Also, I could get the 550i with the options I would want (similar to the V) for about 62k. That puts it in a similar pricerange I could afford.

The difference between 53k and 62k would be managable for me. Now jump me up to 85k and you are now out of my pricerange. I'm sure many others fall into this category.

STYES
12-18-05, 10:56 PM
In response to the original poster who wanted an opinion from a guy who had driven neither the 550i and the CTS-V, here it is. I take the V all the way! The CTS-V is actually the competiton for the M3, and it blows it away in my opinion. I have driven several Caddies and a few BMW's and I'm sorry but I just don't get the BMW's at all. I have driven the 2005 GTO and I say compare it to the 330ci. The 2005 GTO is much cheaper to boot, just walk into a Pontiac dealer tomorrow with a $27K cashiers check, and you will get one out the door! For all those who begged GM to offer us the Holden with a Vette motor, they are not selling well at all. The CTS-V can be had for under 50K! The wheel hop problem can be cured for less than 300 dollars. My dealer knows of the aftermarket part available, I forget the web site to find it.

arr0gant
12-18-05, 11:51 PM
In response to the original poster who wanted an opinion from a guy who had driven neither the 550i and the CTS-V, here it is. I take the V all the way! The CTS-V is actually the competiton for the M3, and it blows it away in my opinion. I have driven several Caddies and a few BMW's and I'm sorry but I just don't get the BMW's at all. I have driven the 2005 GTO and I say compare it to the 330ci. The 2005 GTO is much cheaper to boot, just walk into a Pontiac dealer tomorrow with a $27K cashiers check, and you will get one out the door! For all those who begged GM to offer us the Holden with a Vette motor, they are not selling well at all. The CTS-V can be had for under 50K! The wheel hop problem can be cured for less than 300 dollars. My dealer knows of the aftermarket part available, I forget the web site to find it.

Wheel-hop fixed for $300 but you forget the website? Are you TRYING to start a riot? Seriously, there is NO 100% cure for that issue. If there is, I'm buying stock in that company!!

Also, not sure how a 3400lb Coupe is direct competition for a 4000lb sedan. These cars have different purposes and are not considered to be in the same group, IMO.

MCaesar
12-19-05, 07:56 AM
The Holden with the Vette engine isn't selling because GM forgot to style the car like a real GTO. The much slower Mustang GT is selling like the proverbial hotcakes because it looks like a classic Mustang.

looks matter

Kadonny
12-19-05, 09:45 AM
How many people here have actually driven a 550i, V, SRT8, and GTO?

Well, if I get back to the main topic, I have driven BOTH the 550i and the CTS-V (06) in the past month or so. My first drive was the 550 about 5 weeks ago, I drove one of the first ones off the truck for dealer stock. The only minus was that it was the steptronic automatic, dealers do not stock the 6 speeds or the SMGs.

Funny you post this because these are the exact 2 cars I am debating right now. I have priced and optioned both. The 550i that I specd out has a sticker of 67k. It included the sport package, active steering, nav, comfort seats, sat radio, logic 7 stereo, comfort access and a few other small options. Now the awesome thing about the 550 is the SMG transmission. I truly feel that is the wave of the future for performance cars. I got to drive an SMG 545i from a guy in the area that I met casually, the trans was a blast! My only concern with it is if I would get tired of it after the initial coolness factor wore off. For the record, I have driven a manual transmission car almost my entire life, so the step to the SMG would be a logical one.

Here is my take on the 2 cars.

The BMW lists a 0-60 time of 5.2 seconds and it feels 5.2. It is a very quick car. The 5.2 is not all that far off the V. The problem is that the car still likes the higher rpms. It has plenty of torque down low compared to your average performance sedans, but it does not have V torque. That being said, the 550 still ran like a raped ape and the active steering is amazing. The SMG is a bit hard to launch just right as there is a little hesitation upon initial mashing of the pedal, but once you launch you can zip through the gears with the SMG. The 550 is very comfortable with tons and tons of gadgets and has leg room to spare (I have long legs and this is a major concern for me). The bimmer guys call the 550i a poormans M5. Anyone saying "just get an M5" is misinformed. The M5 is still 30k more than the 550i, thats a lot of money to me.

Now on to the V. I just got to drive the 06 last week. I will tell you just looking at the V, my palms sweat. The 550 did not do that to me. When I got in the V, I had this nervous feeling, the feeling you get when you know something great is going to happen. I fired the car up, it just sounds mean, not even close to the 550. The 550 sounded great, I mean great, but not V great. I have leg room trouble with the V and I must adjust the front angle of the seat to get my legs into a position that is comfortable to me since the seat does not go back as far as I want. But all that all went away as soon as I pulled out onto the road. Bang the accelerator in any gear 1-3 and the car just reacts with instant power. Gobs and gobs of power, at ANY rpms. Good ole american torque, no one seems to be able to replicate it. Driving the V, I just felt as if the whole world was looking at me, after all, I was in awe of the car myself. I caught a few regular CTS drivers really craning their necks looking at the car, it was an awesome feeling. I felt proud to be driving an American car, and I felt even more proud knowing that it could kick the ass of most cars on the road. I had a blast driving it for 1/2 hour or so, but it started to flurry and I did not really get to open her up, I had it almost sideways with TCS on and I was not EVEN TRYING! I was all giddy.

Ok, enough reminiscing, what is my final evaluation. The 550 is an amazing car, fast and refined with loads of gadgets. A litte more money than the V and if I were to buy (well I will lease it) it would have to be for at least 3 years to keep the payment reasonable. I have more confidence that the 550 will be more maintenance free (just based on my reading both this forum and the E60 forum) and I really think I would be proud to drive it and enjoy driving it. Now, with all that, I am leaning towards the V. I am an ole fashioned american car guy who loves the feel of instant torque on demand and the V gives me that. It gives me goosebumps just firing it up and i feel like the cars in front of it need to pull over and let the V pass. I can lease the V for 24 months at a reasonable price and be in the perfect position 2 years from now to look at the new redesigned Vs maybe with the LS7 :lildevil:. I figure how much can go wrong with the V in 2 years? It will have the upgraded rear and the bushing fix already installed and I found a great dealer that I have confidence will take care of me and the car.

So, what do I do. I am not sure I can turn down the sweaty palm feeling and the overall WOW factor of the V. I think the V is in my future. I have about 3 more weeks to make my final decision as my Audi lease is coming due in April and I need to get a car ordered.

So, I hope my longwinded opinion helped. Feel free to email me if you want to discuss things more in detail. I have been posting on the E60 forums too the past 3 months and can tell you all the plus/minuses of the 550 and can discuss pricing if needed. I hope this helped a little. My fingers are tired.

MCaesar
12-19-05, 01:34 PM
I am an ole fashioned american car guy who loves the feel of instant torque on demand

Preach brother!

Kadonny
12-19-05, 01:53 PM
Preach brother!

Halleluiah! (however it is spelled :hmm: )

My Audi now is a biturbo and I am sick of not having any accleration down low. If you are in the wrong gear and need to do something quick, you are dead.

Koooop
12-19-05, 06:28 PM
Which would you pick and why? I realize by asking this on this forum the answers will be weighted, but I am in a position to get either and wanted to see the opinion of experts.:thumbsup:

Most of the 5 series BMW's I see around town are driven by women. Doesn't that make it a chick car? There are a few Guys driving M5's around, but I just figure their wife is napping and they took 30 bucks and the keys out of her purse!

:stirpot:

robcol
12-19-05, 06:39 PM
Well Kadonny,

I actually think I am leaning towards the V at this time also. The bluetooth start is cool on the Bimmer, satellite radio is satellite radio. I was also looking at active steering. That is very cool option in a freind of mine's car. I think I am going to get american. Anyway, thanks for the insight.

crowan
12-19-05, 06:39 PM
Most of the 5 series BMW's I see around town are driven by women. Doesn't that make it a chick car? There are a few Guys driving M5's around, but I just figure their wife is napping and they took 30 bucks and the keys out of her purse!

:stirpot:

:histeric: :histeric:

CR

kjr39
12-19-05, 07:10 PM
Preach brother!

/Psst. We're the choir.

V-Beach
12-19-05, 08:35 PM
[QUOTE=Kadonny] Anyone saying "just get an M5" is misinformed. The M5 is still 30k more than the 550i, thats a lot of money to me.

Sorry, the M5 is the way to go, it will hold it's value unlike any car out there. If you can come up with 67k for a 550i don't bullcrap us and say 85k is out of reach. In the long run you would be glad you did.

MacOSR
12-19-05, 08:41 PM
Sorry, the M5 is the way to go, it will hold it's value unlike any car out there. If you can come up with 67k for a 550i don't bullcrap us and say 85k is out of reach. In the long run you would be glad you did.

A fully loaded M5 will run around 93k plus tax bringing you to around 100k. I recently decided to keep my CTS-V as my winter car...might go-ahead and mod it a little if I can get a good rear end (ford 9"). Just found out my new M5 should be at my dealer on Friday...just cant wait till then! :cool2:

V-Beach
12-19-05, 09:25 PM
A fully loaded M5 will run around 93k plus tax bringing you to around 100k. I recently decided to keep my CTS-V as my winter car...might go-ahead and mod it a little if I can get a good rear end (ford 9"). Just found out my new M5 should be at my dealer on Friday...just cant wait till then! :cool2:

Then don't buy a fully loaded one. Do you really need the heads up display and some of the other gadgets? There is one in Naples Florida for 85k at Germain BMW.

rgd
12-19-05, 09:40 PM
Not to mention every other sister, mother, nephew, cousin, father and, oh ya *******, has a BMW.
*******, did I say that?:canttalk:

arr0gant
12-20-05, 12:01 AM
BMW makes some awsum cars. No reason to hate on 'em. :tisk:
It's so great that Caddy makes a car that rivals them, and I own one! :thumbsup:
Mac., Enjoy that phat Bimmer!!!! :)
Peace,
Arr0gant

fast66
12-20-05, 04:19 AM
screw the 550! I would rather get the M6 :D

MacOSR
12-20-05, 08:41 AM
BMW makes some awsum cars. No reason to hate on 'em. :tisk:
It's so great that Caddy makes a car that rivals them, and I own one! :thumbsup:
Mac., Enjoy that phat Bimmer!!!! :)
Peace,
Arr0gant

Thank you. I will post a full comparison once I have it. M5 owners are saying that the power over 6000 rpm is insane. I have to wait 1200 miles to experience anything over 5500 rpm. :want:

Kadonny
12-20-05, 10:32 AM

No bullcrap, believe it or not. The M5 is 30% more than the 550 for the base car and at sticker, the cars are going for 10 to 20k in premiums in certain areas. I am sorry, but to me there is a magical line as to what I will spend on a car and I think the M5 is over that line. Will it hold value better? I would hope so. Is it a much better kick ass car? You freaking better believe it. Would I get one if I could? Yup. Oh and on the 67k sticker of the 550, the only way it would be doable for me is to have a serious reduction in price off of sticker to say like 62k, then it is affordable. At 67k I would not do it.

But I think it will all be moot anyway, I think the CTS-V is the car for me.

arr0gant
12-20-05, 10:58 AM
[quote=V-Beach]

No bullcrap, believe it or not. The M5 is 30% more than the 550 for the base car and at sticker, the cars are going for 10 to 20k in premiums in certain areas. I am sorry, but to me there is a magical line as to what I will spend on a car and I think the M5 is over that line. Will it hold value better? I would hope so. Is it a much better kick ass car? You freaking better believe it. Would I get one if I could? Yup. Oh and on the 67k sticker of the 550, the only way it would be doable for me is to have a serious reduction in price off of sticker to say like 62k, then it is affordable. At 67k I would not do it.

But I think it will all be moot anyway, I think the CTS-V is the car for me.

Thank you for speaking EXACTLY for me. People who have jobs and/or wives/kids/ have other things to spend money on. Do I buy this 85k car or do I spend 65k (which is still way more that I should) and stick the 20k in my kids college fund etc....

Don't ever assume what someone should do with their money. 20k is alot of money. It's a whole other car, maybe for the kid. People who spend money like that either (1)have to much or (2)end up going broke with nothing but a broke down car to show for it. Think people, before you make stupid assumptions.

Peace AND love! Merry X-mas
Arr0gant

Loadtoad
12-20-05, 03:05 PM
My boss was looking at ordering a loaded 550 for $54k (we can order at a huge discount being stationed in Europe through BMW's military sales program) but after a ride in my car, he is undecieded. It's down to a refinement vs attitude debate. The Caddy has the "In Your Face" characteristic while the Bimmer is much more luxurious with crap such as the heated steering wheel!

Personally, I am waiting to see what the new M3 with the V8 will be about! A loaded M3 with SMG is only $50k here.

arr0gant
12-20-05, 04:23 PM
My boss was looking at ordering a loaded 550 for $54k (we can order at a huge discount being stationed in Europe through BMW's military sales program) but after a ride in my car, he is undecieded. It's down to a refinement vs attitude debate. The Caddy has the "In Your Face" characteristic while the Bimmer is much more luxurious with crap such as the heated steering wheel!

Personally, I am waiting to see what the new M3 with the V8 will be about! A loaded M3 with SMG is only $50k here.

Did you drive the 550? I mean REALLY drive it? If so, is it rreally that tame compared to our beast? Give us details man, DONT HOLD OUT!! :bulging:

mlg
12-20-05, 04:28 PM
my 2cents had a benz 500e 92 b4 the v. car was toooo fast. not quick ,but fast . car loved to run 90-100mph designed to run on autobahn it was very difficult to keep car at sane speeds and avoid going to jail. the v has much more tq and is better suited to usa streets where fun can be had at 30 to 60 mph. you will have same permagrin w v but sleep better at nite.

Kadonny
12-20-05, 05:44 PM
Did you drive the 550? I mean REALLY drive it? If so, is it rreally that tame compared to our beast? Give us details man, DONT HOLD OUT!! :bulging:

No doubt it is tamer, but not by a ton, and it has no wheel hop either :bomb:

MacOSR
12-20-05, 08:25 PM
No doubt it is tamer, but not by a ton, and it has no wheel hop either :bomb:

LOL...it is odd for the 5 series to experience wheel hop...just as much as it is odd for our CTS-V's to NOT experience it :annoyed:

fast66
12-21-05, 12:15 AM
The m5 got a really bad review on Top Gear, the show.

Loadtoad
12-21-05, 11:08 AM

NO, I did not drive a 550. I am not a BMW fan.... way overpriced IMO. I perfer vehicles with attitude. I looked at ordering a loaded M5 for 84k but that's well over a 06 Z's price. Yes, 84k is cheap compared to the bloated US prices but I just keeping Z!

Mercedes has a program close to BMW for military sales but they only offer 10% off of U.S. MSRP for the AMG's which still above a Z's price.

I don't require back seats!

BTW.... the vehicles are US Spec!

MacOSR
12-21-05, 07:48 PM
The m5 got a really bad review on Top Gear, the show.

Just like the CTS-V did

MCaesar
12-21-05, 08:57 PM
I have no faith in Top Gear. Not only do they not know what they should know on the models they test, I wonder just what objective standard are they comparing these cars against?

The English make the crappiest cars on earth.

MCaesar
12-22-05, 08:40 PM
I am still in shock that someone actually thinks Jennifer Anniston looks good.

c4racer
12-22-05, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't throw her out of bed. At least not until I was done with her :cool2:

MCaesar
12-23-05, 08:48 AM
I wouldn't throw her out of bed. At least not until I was done with her :cool2:

True

But man you see much better looking women anchoring CNN!

Hollywood always does that though - they pick someone as their favorite and they never let reality get in the way.

garrettg
01-26-10, 09:43 PM
Back from the dead. I am interested in opinions about the 550i vs V1 now that the price gap has narrowed and both can be had for 25-35k. Is anybody trying to decide between these two cars for an all around fun to drive sedan, 1 track day a year, daily driver.
06-07 V
06-07 550i manual sport package

Albertan
01-26-10, 11:54 PM
Would both these cars be off warranty? Would you be doing your own work?
Day to day maintenance on the BMW would be expensive if you are paying someone to do it. Mods are more expensive with the BMW as well, double overhead cam V8 is expensive.
(I have a E36 and a V1) Get whichever you like best. There are lots of BMWs around but very few Vs.

Lord Cadillac
01-27-10, 12:02 AM
Back from the dead. I am interested in opinions about the 550i vs V1 now that the price gap has narrowed and both can be had for 25-35k. Is anybody trying to decide between these two cars for an all around fun to drive sedan, 1 track day a year, daily driver.
06-07 V
06-07 550i manual sport package
If you want a 5-Series that can easily be made faster than a first generation CTS-V, go with a 535i. You can add 100 horsepower and 100 foot pounds of torque for $600.00 and 30 minutes under the hood. If you're not worried about voiding a warranty, you can add 200 hp/tq with down pipes, intercooler and methanol injection. :p At that point, you're in second generation CTS-V territory..

garrettg
01-27-10, 12:16 AM
Both cars would be coming off of warranty in the next year, I would be doing my own work if possible. I realize that unless prepared and armed with time doing a clutch for example would probably need to be paid for. I wouldn't be modding either car past, short shifter, air filter and ecu tune. There are a lot of bmw's around but not many manual E60's. I will toss in the ability to tow 2 sport bikes 2-3 times a year to track days and bike trips is desired. Hitches are available for both cars but have not read much about actual usage experience. MPG wise its a toss up with the 550i doing slightly better in long highway trips. Power wise there is little doubt the V1 would eat the 550's lunch every time. Winter driving have to give the edge to the V1 as well. I am looking more about comfort and every day situations. Idrive vs V's DIC display bar.

garrettg
01-27-10, 12:19 AM
If you want a 5-Series that can easily be made faster than a first generation CTS-V, go with a 535i. You can add 100 horsepower and 100 foot pounds of torque for $600.00 and 30 minutes under the hood. If you're not worried about voiding a warranty, you can add 200 hp/tq with down pipes, intercooler and methanol injection. :p At that point, you're in second generation CTS-V territory..

Yes the 535i shouldn't be dismissed, finding a manual is even harder with this car since they only made this one the last 3 years.

Lord Cadillac
01-27-10, 12:50 AM
If an ECU tune is going to be your biggest performance modification, you should go with the 535i over the 550i. The twin turbo makes it far more worthwhile.

Koooop
01-27-10, 02:35 AM
BMW's eat you out of house and home.

Overd0s3
01-27-10, 03:06 PM
well considering you can get a v1 for 15k and a simular year 5 series for 30k, id go with the v

thebigjimsho
01-28-10, 11:09 PM
Until the V2 adds a pulley and tune for the same amount of $$ and gets that 100hp leg up again...

Lord Cadillac
01-28-10, 11:49 PM
It's very hard to beat a modified V2, Jim. There's no denying that. But not everybody has sixty thousand dollars and extra money for mods. You can pick up a x35i for less than half the price of a V2 and inexpensively have the same experience. Period.

thebigjimsho
01-29-10, 12:32 AM
It's very hard to beat a modified V2, Jim. There's no denying that. But not everybody has sixty thousand dollars and extra money for mods. You can pick up a x35i for less than half the price of a V2 and inexpensively have the same experience. Period.
You can throw an LS7 into a Saturn Sky for not much more than the price of a 135i. So? Try pricing a 335i and see where your saving are. A 335i is a great sedan but it's smaller and if you want to option it out to a base V, the prices aren't a huge difference. Now, if you want to price out a 535i, then option it out to V levels, game over. The V wins...

PERIOD.

thebigjimsho
01-29-10, 12:32 AM
hehehe

Lord Cadillac
01-29-10, 12:37 AM
I'm talking about buying used. You can get a 335i for $25k. If the CTS-V is already down that low than I'm buying one.

You might be surprised, but I know the x35i isn't in nearly the same league as a V2. All I'm suggesting to the thread starter is a good alternative without spending V2 money. Is that okay? I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Koooop
01-29-10, 01:13 AM
When I had a thing for M cars I would send my mechanic $300 a month to prepay for the upcoming fail.

Nothing gets to the shop faster than a high output Bimmer.

garrettg
01-29-10, 12:18 PM
Speaking of M cars, the E60 M5 with a proper manual 07+ is creeping closer to the 40k price mark. I don't even want to know how much it would cost to keep that car on the road for the next 5-7 years.

Koooop
01-29-10, 03:06 PM
It's the cost of repair that keeps me out of an S65.

thebigjimsho
01-29-10, 04:59 PM
I'm talking about buying used. You can get a 335i for $25k. If the CTS-V is already down that low than I'm buying one.

You might be surprised, but I know the x35i isn't in nearly the same league as a V2. All I'm suggesting to the thread starter is a good alternative without spending V2 money. Is that okay? I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.
Your question would best be answered at bmwrumpswab.com...:D

Lord Cadillac
01-29-10, 05:45 PM
Your question would best be answered at bmwrumpswab.com...:D
I actually tried to go there. :p

thebigjimsho
01-30-10, 01:08 AM
:histeric: