Cadillac Owners Forum banner

STS-V vs. G8 GXP

9K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  Northstar125 
#1 ·
Sooooo, I got to drive a G8 GXP this weekend and it was so much fun. I really do like the Caddy though. I'm wondering which one would be best for me.

Things I'm considering:
1.) Parts availability: May be an issue for both cars?
2.) Mods: Obviously the GXP would be the winner here being an LS motor. Although the V has more power stock.....
3.) Cost: Depending on the year and mileage the V could be had for less than a GXP BUT it would be older.

Was also considering an 07 Z06 that a relative has that half-hazardly mentioned selling it but I didn't really like the Vette as well. (Never actually drove it just being 2 doors and only 2 seats is somewhat of a turn off, although I am the only one in the car 90% of the time).

What do you guys think? Opinions on GXP, V or both? I realize this is a Cadillac forum but I'm just looking for opinions. Not educated well enough on either to be able to make a decision. Although I probably should find a V to test drive that might make up my mind.

See less See more
#4 ·
GXP 415 HP and 415 lb/ft
V 469 HP and 439 lb/ft

So shouldn't the V be the faster car? Both are fairly rare seeing as (from what I've read) only 2,503 V's were made and 1,829 GXPs.

I'm not really much for modding or rather I haven't been in the past. Wheels and exhaust are most likely though.

Money wise the GXPs are still running $30-$35k whereas a V could be had in the $20-$25k range with similar miles but maybe a couple years older.

#7 ·
For for less than $1.5k in parts (pulley, belt, injectors, heat exchanger, & intake) your v could be 450rwhp and 419 rwtq. exhaust on these cars from the manifold to the mufflers, per Timmy C, are already hugely efficient, and exhaust/headers doesnt add too much hp, if any. They do sound AWESOME though! For another $1.5k you've got a full borla exhaust, and another 1.5k youve got your headers. i HIGHLY recommend them both! Wheels are another story...these cars are 6 lug, and very few, if any, aftermarket wheels are made for it.

also, the V has the nicest interior ever put in a GM car up to that point, and hell, maybe even today! Same compay that bespoked the Mayback did the V.

#9 ·
They are about equal in desirability. The G8 GXP will be worth more in the future since the Pontiac division in general and the Australian Holden division, specifically, (where the GTO, G8, and current Chevy SS were built) are either defunct now or soon will be. If you choose to heavily mod or abuse either one, you may be kicking yourself in a decade or two if you still have it in your possession.

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
Haven't we already had this thread once or twice here before?

Both are great cars. Both have quirks. Both have plusses/minusses. I'm a Holden owner too.

What, of those quirks and plusses/minusses is most important to you.

I would love a G8, preferably in GXP trim, but my problem is, people are still asking stupid prices for them, USED! Some equal to, if not MORE than they were brand new.

The G8 is a slightly larger vehicle, so if you have kids and want rear seat space, the G8 (as well as a Chevy SS, or even a bigger Caprice 9C3), are better suited. I don't have any problems in my Caddy mind you, but more space is more space. The G8, with it's LS architecture engine, will lend itself better to modding and isn't as expensive necessarily compared to modding the STS-V. One thing that is concerning, and some of us GTO owners are feeling the pinch, is parts availability as the vehicle was phased out. Some normal routine parts are hard to come by, if at all. For example, my heater hoses, Holden doesn't even make anymore, so I was left to my own devices to make something to fit. And people who wreck them have body parts availability issues. If the parts ARE available, cost to get them is higher than a regular GMNA vehicle with parts readily available in GMSPO.

O.P. I moved from a Bonneville GXP to this car.

#11 ·
Hey Lane! haha. I drove Will's car over the weekend. So much fun. 130mph feels more like 70mph. So it got me thinking I've only got a year left of school I could start looking for something else. And yes I noticed that with the GXP they seem to be holding there value very well, I was wondering if they probably sat for a long while before selling.

The V would be somewhat more affordable and it is a Caddy. So between the 2 parts costs/availability would probably be less of an issue for the V?

I've also read that the paint will be much better on the V than the G8. But the G8's I've seen all looked great.

-Clay

#12 · (Edited)
I was trying to think if I knew who this was? :D

Will had his G8 out? With the Tahoe now, I figured he'd have that thing all locked up and starting his fixing of things.

I think it's a wash in parts cost. Engine and routine maintenance parts may be cheaper on the G8 vs. the LC3. But drivetrain parts after the transmission, and body parts are harder to come by and REALLY expensive for the G8 and have to come across the big pond. You generally don't just stroll into an AutoZone and ask for LC3 parts. Filters, generally aren't stocked, and are dealer purchases. Oil filters are huge and costly (although I took advantage of a sale Rock Auto had awhile back and stocked up on PF26's), and like the G8, takes a lot of oil... 9 quarts.

Were you out in DeKalb then? If you want to drive mine (if it's nice out), and you're back out in this area, I'll let you take it for a spin. Just don't try the heated steering wheel feature...

And of course, an obligatory pic of Will's G8 and my V together at Woodward in August 2013;

At the old Packard Plan;

And down at the RenCen

#14 ·
NOW you understand why I lamblast people on the Bonneville board when they rave about how great their corporate platformed, wrong wheel driven, V6 powered, cookie cutter sedan, is.

Colors they came in;
- Black Raven
- Light Platinum Metallic (my color)
- Thunder Gray Chromaflair. Some refer to it as Thunder Gray Metallic

There was another Black option called Black Ice, but it was a couple program cars that got this color. So they are the rarest of the rare.

Interior color options (available on all three exterior colors)
- Ebony
- Ebony/Light Gray (my color)
- Ebony/Tango Red

Yes, I had put mine up locally. Medical bills from my ACL/meniscus surgery this past March, and our ongoing issues with my son, coupled with this company's crap insurance, is just killing me. We're having a hard time making ends meet and some months, it just isn't happening. Yes, the GTO was spotted out in the wild...

#15 ·
Both the G8 GXP and STS-V have a shot at collector car status. That doesn't mean much to many people but when prices start creeping up, it's not the best feeling. I experienced it with an '86 Buick Grand National that I wish I didn't mod so thoroughly and kept.

My philosophy is if you want to mod and go racing, knock yourself out. But do it with a run of the mill G8 GT or CTS-V.

#17 ·
Bonneville GXP = LD8 Northstar.

The Grand Prix GXP, as well as the Impala SS use the 5.3L LS4 V8 (I've got one of those too :) )

The majority on the board though, have L67 powered 3.8L Supercharged V6's in their SSEi's. There is nothing wrong with that engine at all FWIW. Those of us who had the GXP's though, with the Northstar were not a big group there. Although lately as the GXP's have come down in price there is an influx of new members with them.

#19 ·
That's what I did, went from a GTP, to a Bonneville GXP, to the STS-V.

A guy on the Bonneville forum, the parts guru, did this. He has a pearl white GXP (obviously he bought it used for cheap), and swapped in L67 running gear in it. The LD8 was shot if I recall, which would be why he got it cheap, and then has the L67 laying around... Voila...

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.