: DON"T SHOOT I'm just fishing (wheelhop)

alcast082
12-17-05, 06:50 PM
I know there are a ton of threads about wheel hop, yet I still don't understand why it is so hard to lessen it drastically.
I have the gm bushings, they make about 15% difference which is not enough.

I replaced my rear tires with 275 pirelli's and it became a little worse.

What options actually help????
I have read the bmr stuff is not worth the money, is there anything else??
WILL NEW SHOCKS AND SPRINGS DO THE TRICK?????
WILL THE NEW H&r SPRINGS ALONG WITH QA1 BE ABLE TO LESSEN IT SO i CAN FLY OFF THE LINE????
ALSO FOR guys WITH STEALTH OR any TUNE, does disabling torque management get rid off bogging sometimes off the line. Specially when launching sometimes the car boggs for a split second and then goes.
I hate it when this happens.

I'll appreciate any sugestions along with just hypothetical ranting about ways we might fix these problems.
thanks guys:thumbsup:

DrivingAmericanNow
12-18-05, 10:53 AM
I doubt any aftermarket bolt-on will ever fix the wheel hop problem to our satisfaction. The problem is IRS (independent rear susupension). It's great for handling, but it removes one huge barrier against wheel hop that solid axle cars have. I could be wrong, but I think I've got wheel hop reasoned out:

When you hit the gas and apply power to a rear wheel, it starts to rotate and gets pushed upward into the suspension. When force overcomes grip, the wheel loses traction and spins; releasing the tesion and allowing the wheel to drop back down again. (this is wheel hop)

In a solid rear axle car, this process is mitigated BIG TIME by the exisitence of that direct connection between the right and left wheels. If the right wheel gets pushed up, there's a downforce tranferred by the axle from the left side wheel that naturally pushes the right back down and vice versa.

With an IRS car, there's no such direct connection, so the only downforce comes from the suspension. Solid axle cars use the suspension's downforce PLUS that instantaneous boost in downforce that comes from the solid axle whenever a wheel tries to lift off the ground.

Some other manufacturers have been able to eliminate wheel hop on their IRS cars, so with some engineering magic, Cadillac should be able to do the same. It's going to take a complete redesign though (I think).

willsctsv
12-18-05, 11:52 AM
:blasted:

alcast082
12-18-05, 02:01 PM
:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: thats what my car looks like every time I run it hard of the line and this is how it feels inside:thepan: :thepan:

04CTSVFLA
12-18-05, 02:54 PM
I have read the bmr stuff is not worth the money, is there anything else

whered u read that? Not on here......

from what I have read - from what i have been told by members with the kit on this forum- the BMR kit does reduce wheel hop but does not eliminate it. Some members feel 50% reduction others claim as much as 75% reduction. But it definetly makes a difference, and I think Im will invest it the BMR kit and the pinion brace.

c5racr1
12-18-05, 03:21 PM
bmr kit worked for me, then I removed it and put in the gm fix and it was not as good. just rescued my bmr kit from my house in New Orleans. after 28 days of being ouder 9.5 feet of salt water it is OK. Probably will put it back on after I clean it with some CLR. I cures about 75% of the hop the GM is good for about 40%