: charging systems

ddobos
12-17-05, 06:20 PM
does anyone know the normal charging ranges for the 2000 cateras, most cars ive dealt with with car running have around 14.5 volts the most my catera has is around 13.5 is this normal? battery was dying and i took the alternator to have tested said it was charging....now im jus curious if the normal range is around 13.5 volts which would be diff than most vehicles ive worked on? HELP???

tlarwa
12-17-05, 07:08 PM
Mine runs about 13.5-13.7 also, and I've had no issues with it dying or being hard to crank, even with the temps being in the single digits lately. I have a 2001.

AllenPacla
12-18-05, 12:45 AM
That voltage range is normal for the Catera. How did you check for the voltage, is it directly from the alternator or from the battery cables that connect to the battery? The reason i asked is because, i had this problem of a dying battery and the culprit is a low voltage coming from the alternator. But i only made the check from the battery cables connected to the battery. Then I remembered about replacing the cables if you notice discoloration. And voila, after just replacing the positive battery cable, the voltage went back up to around 13.5-14. And no more dying battery.