: Blown Engine: The Final Chapter

Sandyfoot-V
12-17-05, 08:06 AM
After three weeks of head scratching and nail biting the engine saga is finally (hopefully) over. Final diagnosis: exhaust valve spring failure in the #1 cylinder causing the valve to break resulting in a cracked cylinder wall. The engine seized after coolant seeped into the cylinder, which explains the coolant in the oil pan. The entire engine was replaced under warranty.

The aftermarket CAI and/or PCM tune were not found to be at fault. Having said that, I received exceptionally good care from Mario (Service Manager) and Guy (Service Writer) at Val Ward Cadillac. While Iíve had minor issues with the Service Department in the past, they definitely came through when it counted and restored my faith in the dealership. I picked up the car yesterday and drove the 35 miles back to the house. It ran a little tight-- as would be expected from a new engine breaking in-- but it felt great to hear the rumble of the big LS6.

By the way, if you plan on replacing your stock engine, be prepared to spend about $12,000.

12-17-05, 08:29 AM
After three weeks of head scratching and nail biting the engine saga is finally (hopefully) over. Final diagnosis: exhaust valve spring failure in the #1 cylinder causing the valve to break resulting in a cracked cylinder wall. The engine seized after coolant seeped into the cylinder, which explains the coolant in the oil pan. The entire engine was replaced under warranty.

The aftermarket CAI and/or PCM tune were not found to be at fault. Having said that, I received exceptionally good care from Mario (Service Manager) and Guy (Service Writer) at Val Ward Cadillac. While Iíve had minor issues with the Service Department in the past, they definitely came through when it counted and restored my faith in the dealership. I picked up the car yesterday and drove the 35 miles back to the house. It ran a little tight-- as would be expected from a new engine breaking in-- but it felt great to hear the rumble of the big LS6.

By the way, if you plan on replacing your stock engine, be prepared to spend about $12,000.

All's well that ends well. For curiosity, does that $12K estimate include labor?

urbanski
12-17-05, 08:36 AM
dude!!! CONGRATS!! :cheers: YAY

dang, new engine already? its only been a week!

GT04CTS-V
12-17-05, 09:31 AM
I'm glad you got the V fixed - without having to pay!

Congrats,

GT

10secvette
12-17-05, 09:38 AM
All's well that ends well. For curiosity, does that $12K estimate include labor?

Congrats!!!

12k through the stealer, you can buy brand new ls6 engines for under 6k.

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/120/products/153743/LS6-Service-Engine-with-Camaro-Oil-Pan-Kit.htm

Sandyfoot-V
12-17-05, 09:58 AM
$12,000 estimate includes NON-warranty install.

Dennisscars
12-17-05, 11:32 AM
ding.. .ding.. ding.. I called it correctly, where's my hat Don Pardo? :D

barry007
12-17-05, 11:42 AM
not to thread hijack, but for 12k i'd be looking to add an ls7 to my v if it was non-warranty.
B

CVP33
12-17-05, 12:40 PM
I am so glad to hear this worked out for you. I was wondering and wondering but figured no posts meant you were still doing battle and didn't want to upset anything. A motor is about the only thing I haven't replaced and certainly hope not to. :lildevil:

Playdrv4me
12-17-05, 12:57 PM
not to thread hijack, but for 12k i'd be looking to add an ls7 to my v if it was non-warranty.
B

Yea for sure, 12k can get you *ALOT* engine-wise.

CVP33
12-17-05, 01:07 PM
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&partnumber=LS7

If you have $14,000 burning a hole in your pocket plus installation. :lildevil:

heavymetals
12-17-05, 01:29 PM
Congrats on your repair!

I hope you bought a lottery ticket, your on a roll. :yup:

You just found one heck of a dealer/servicer.

CRZY747
12-17-05, 02:24 PM
Yep that is great news, I am happy for you. Glad it all worked out. Merry christmas and happy new years to you and the V

Luna.
12-17-05, 07:40 PM
I'm glad it turned out well for you.

It seems very clear to me that the RIGHT thing happened, that being the engine replaced under warranty when it was determined that your mods did NOT cause the failure. Not only is this is the RIGHT answer, it's also the LEGAL one.

Shame on the many of you who seemingly mindlessly said Sandyfoot should bear the entire cost of the repair because she has some mods...give me a break. IT DEPENDS ON THE FACTS AND CIRCUMSTANCES OF THE SITUATION...

I still submit, however, that $12k is wholly insignificant to GM though...

DILLIGAF
12-17-05, 08:59 PM
Glad to hear this,I have been wondering how this was playing out.Congrats!

Slapshot
12-19-05, 01:47 PM
Glad to hear it worked out for you. I've been coming back to these pages waiting to hear the gory details. Thanks for filling us in.

Interesting "ethical" debate in the previous thread on this subject. Glad everything worked out in a legal, ethical manner. Good job.

Mat347
12-19-05, 02:08 PM
Nice! Just curious, when did the initial "your mods void your warranty" statement change? Did they tear down your motor far enough to see the cause before they changed their attitude?

JBeechel
12-19-05, 03:19 PM
12K being wholly insignificant is why they lose a billion a quarter... lol

Luna.
12-19-05, 05:23 PM
12K being wholly insignificant is why they lose a billion a quarter... lol

Hardly. I thought we already had this discussion on this board. First and foremost are their legacy costs, which has next to nothing to do with replacing CTS-V parts under warranty. Read their public filings and you'll see what I mean.

CVP33
12-19-05, 06:24 PM
I don't know why, but I just wish Slapshot would post more often.

crowan
12-19-05, 06:50 PM
I don't know why, but I just wish Slapshot would post more often.

I keep watching that avatar, over and over, hoping that just once that black bar will not be in the way!:highfive:

CR

Sandyfoot-V
12-19-05, 07:01 PM
Nice! Just curious, when did the initial "your mods void your warranty" statement change? Did they tear down your motor far enough to see the cause before they changed their attitude?

Interestingly enough, the warranty was voided by the first dealership BEFORE the diagnosis was made. Moreover, several of my forum pals voided my warranty at that time as well. Apparently Moss-Magnuson was just an ethereal suggestion. I found the online debate quite illuminating though.

Upon returning to the dealership where I had purchased the V (I originally had it towed closer the dealer nearest my new home), they had the decency to identify the problem first. I was fortunate that the Service Department Manager was a Vette enthusiast who had intake and PCM mods on his own car. It was he who said that it was highly unlikely my minor mods caused the valve spring to break, rev-limiter change and all (please do not re-open the rev-limiter discussion).

I appreciate the technical input and support given by forum members during this protracted ordeal. A $12,000 engine install would have made it a very lean Christmas at home.

P.S. Slapshot, professionally speaking, your avatar is anatomically correct. Professionally speaking.

CTSV05
12-20-05, 12:03 AM
I'm glad to hear this SFoot!!

I for one, never felt you should be responsible, regardless, I did however after my ordeal, didn't hold much hope, but I'm very glad to have been wro......www....wrrrr......mistaken!!!!LOL!!!

Luna.
12-20-05, 12:07 AM
I suppose the million dollar question is...

what mods will you do now? :lildevil:

heavymetals
12-20-05, 01:00 AM
I hope you made that service manager and the tech a Merry Christmas.

It is absoulutly WONDERFUL that you found an understanding service dept.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

VELOSE
12-20-05, 02:43 AM
It seems like sandy beaches and Corona's are waiting for you after this stressful situation. :cheers:

Now lets get the car Maggified.:tease:

urbanski
12-20-05, 07:04 AM
yeah, maybe get the service manager there a case o' his favorite brew, or some good bubbly :)

Dooman
12-20-05, 07:06 AM
"P.S. Slapshot, professionally speaking, your avatar is anatomically correct. Professionally speaking"

Seems while a lot of you guys are building and improving your LS6, He's busy improving the women! Great job!