: Replace or fix

denscor
12-17-05, 06:33 AM
I have a 1995 STS and the head gaskets need replaced and timeserted,it has 162000 miles on it. Should I try to fix it with that many miles or try to find a replacement motor with around 70000 miles? If I replaced the motor with one that has 70000 I would timesert it and change oil pan gaskets also so it would only have to be out once. Also what is the difference between the Y and 9 motors for the 1995? :cool2:

ewill3rd
12-17-05, 09:25 AM
With that many miles I'd look for another engine.
No sense in tearing down the engine unless you know something is wrong with it, for the price of buying the engine and putting in timeserts you could probably buy a crate engine from Cadillac and have it put in, or a reman from someone local.

The Y motor has different tuning for a little more horsepower if I remember right.

zonie77
12-17-05, 10:50 AM
I don't like unknowns. If your engine is running good except for HG I'd fix and keep it. N*'s are good for 250-300K if maintained. Gaskets would get you quite a bit more driving.

How many 95's do you see with 60-70K? It's amazing that all the used engines have that much. I'd only consider a used engine if I could verify the condition. If I couldn't see it in the car I wouldn't believe what someone told me about it. Esp a junkyard.

zonie77
12-17-05, 10:53 AM
I'll add something. I agree with Ewill if you are paying someone to do this. If you are able to do it yourself then I'd fix the current engine.:stirpot: :stirpot:

eldorado1
12-17-05, 12:17 PM
The VIN 9 is the 300hp model. The only difference are larger lift, longer duration cams on the intakes. You can turn a VIN Y into a VIN 9 by swapping the cams if necessary.

denscor
12-17-05, 08:17 PM
Thats the problem it doesn't run good,it stops when you put the car into gear. I have worked on many cars,built a 427 LS1 for my 2001 Corvette (I had to use timeserts on the LS1 the small head got stripped ) and raced other cars over the years( building small blocks and big blocks alike). Checked fuel pressure it was ok,cleaning EGR next. Then I think its getting too much antifreeze in the oil and fouling out the plugs, which is causing it to run bad! That was why I said something about swapping out motor. But I know its a chance when you buy junk yard motors! The cams are the difference in the two motors!

chance_b
12-21-05, 10:18 AM
i could be wrong, but is that not a possible symptom of head gasket failure anyway, which could be fixed by doing the head gasket job (and oil change, plug replacement)?

Dooman
12-21-05, 01:06 PM
How bad is the rest of the vehicle? My neighbor has been buying early STS and SLS cars at auctions for low money, usually around $2000. If there's issues down the road, back it goes. This may be a route to a running engine..

zonie77
12-21-05, 06:21 PM
Then I think its getting too much antifreeze in the oil and fouling out the plugs, which is causing it to run bad! That was why I said something about swapping out motor.

N*'s don't normally put antifreeze in the oil. Do you actually have antifreeze/oil mixed in the engine?

I would start with a compression test of this engine.

denscor
12-21-05, 11:04 PM
Pretty sure its milky and white smoke is coming out back of car, like a fog truck for bugs. Smells like antifreeze. No compression check yet too cold LOL LOL ! Garage has the Vette in it. Another question what is the average life of the Northstar ? Mine has 160000 on it and wanting to know before I drop it out and fix headgaskets ect.

zonie77
12-22-05, 11:24 AM
People have reported 250-300K. I've seen 2 with the heads off. 120K and the walls had great crosshatch and no ridge. 100K even better! With roller cams there is no cam wear unless something breaks.

If you are getting milky oil the head gaskets are really bad.

Are you planning on doing it yourself or having someone else do it?

eldorado1
12-22-05, 11:47 AM
With roller cams there is no cam wear unless something breaks.

95 does not have roller cams. If you have the chocolate milkshake oil, then you need to consider the possibility that the bearings are gone/going. If it was caught soon enough, and not driven, usually it's not a problem, but if you put 10000 miles on.........

jadcock
12-22-05, 12:03 PM
Yeah, rolling cams did not appear until the 2000 model year.

auroradude
12-22-05, 12:15 PM
I wouldnt fix that motor. What if the transmission blows next man?

denscor
12-22-05, 12:42 PM
I will be doing the headgasket job myself. I know my way around a car. So I'm going to tackle the beast! LOL LOL LOL :histeric:

zonie77
12-22-05, 02:42 PM
Since you are doing this yourself:

Did you look at the head gasket thread in tech tips? And the link on timeserting?

You are pulling/dropping the old engine anyway, pull the heads and see how the walls are. I forgot the cams weren't roller but you can inspect everything when you have it apart.

Re the bearings: Have you been changing oil regularly? How long have you driven it with water in the oil? Water quickly tears up bearings, but if you aren't getting an oil pressure warning light or any bottom end noises, with fresh oil, I'd redo this engine. If you can find a verifiable low mile engine at a good price that would be a good option but if you can't verify the miles I'd stay away from used engines until you see how bad this engine really is.

Some of the bad running may not be related to the gaskets. Bad plugs or wires, dirty throttle body, vacuum leaks, bad FPR or fuel filter, can give you bad performance. If you replace anything now you can always transfer the new stuff to a replacement engine. I'd spend a little time on this one and see if a tuneup fixes the performance. Then decide. Plug wires have been a source of problems, have those ever been changed?

denscor
12-22-05, 03:57 PM
Reading everyday on the timesert and headgasket replacement Ect. Bought the car 2 monthes ago,so I do not know anything about oil ect.Maybe its not the Headgaskets, put acts like it. Not drove very long with antifreeze in oil maybe 100 miles.Also I was thinking about this (see if anyone has tried it) use a 90 degree drill on the back of the heads to timesert? Any ideas?

zonie77
12-22-05, 06:10 PM
One guy did it in the car and said he'd never do it again. I know there's more room needed to drop it but that's actually the easiest way. If you try to do it in the car you are fighting limited space everywhere. It is harder to pull the engine out the top too.

Until you pull the heads you can't be sure if it's gaskets but that's the most likely cause.

I'd change the oil and limit driving it.

I had't dropped a cradle til the one I did the writeup about. That was done in my brother's back yard, no compressor, no lift, AZ summer!

denscor
12-22-05, 07:51 PM
cool from bottom it is!!!

zonie77
12-22-05, 08:35 PM
Let us know when you get ready. When you actually drop the cradle try to have a second person to help.

denscor
12-22-05, 08:38 PM
Sure will thanks for all the help!!!