: hey zonie or ranger,

chance_b
12-16-05, 11:56 AM
the damn timesert project is on hold yet again due to the drill i bought being a 3/8 drive, too small for the timesert drill bit and tap. while i wait on gettin a 1/2 drill, just wondering about those alignment pegs - you said to remove em, destroy em if i have to.. and yea it's coming to that alright. i just want to be sure though, can i cut them off and then carefully file/sand whats remaining down to the block? i tried a propane torch on them with some vicegrips, but they aren't budging. and if i cut them off, the timeserting process isn't any different?
and as for replacing them, is it absolutely essential? thanks-

zonie77
12-16-05, 12:04 PM
You have to get them totally out so the new ones seat to the right depth. If you cut them down to the block you should be able to compress what's left. You may have to use a chisel on the part still above the block to do that though.

I would say it is essential. They line everything up very closely as you assemble. The head bolts holes in the head (the ones the bolts just pass through) have too much play to accurately align everything.

Ranger
12-16-05, 12:40 PM
I agree. I would not cut them off and they must be replaced. Maybe a small pipe wrench will work. I have never done one so I am not sure how far they stick out. That has gotten me out of some impossible fixes. Some carfully placed heat on the pin might also help. Another trick might be to tack weld a nut to the top of it and use a wrench to turn it and break it loose.

dhm37
12-16-05, 05:24 PM
After trying all kinds of things, I finally used my Dremel tool with small round engraving tool to cut groove down the dowels on opposite sides to about a quarter inch below level of head. Then crunched then in on themselves and pulled out. The groove needs to go all the way through the dowel walls, then it is quite easy to get them out.

Ranger
12-16-05, 05:35 PM
I've always said, The impossible just takes a little longer.