: Headlight shadow lines

joshdctsv
12-15-05, 10:23 PM
This is extremely anal, but my headlights cast an uneven shadow where the upper half of the light is blocked/tinted. Looks something like...

_________/
It looks like the right headlight is aimed higher than the left. Can they be re-aimed?
:hmm:

ace996
12-15-05, 10:28 PM
Welcome to HIDs!!!! If that blocked out area of your lights was illuminated, you'd blind drivers driving in the opposite lane. That is done intentionally.
-ace

Joey'sVee
12-15-05, 10:39 PM
Welcome to HIDs!!!! If that blocked out area of your lights was illuminated, you'd blind drivers driving in the opposite lane. That is done intentionally.
-ace

That is what everyone says but I have yet to see this in black and white. :(

wildwhl
12-15-05, 11:12 PM
I recall reading an article sometime back on HID's, don't recall where, but this was one of the specific benefits (safety feature I believe they called it) of HID headlights.

I've had several vehicles with HID's and they have all been like this. RX8, CTS-V, wife's Murano, and I even remember seeing it when driving the neighbors Porsche.

Nothing to adjust, all is well here, move along :D

Ziplicon Tuesday
12-16-05, 02:47 PM
I have the same thing. Yes they can be adjusted - I found it somewhere in the FAQ or the manual. There is a small adjustment "screw" that you can see from above looking straight down at the light. If I get time I'll find the instructions and post'em.

Joey'sVee
12-16-05, 03:13 PM
I would like to see the instructions. I still haven't seen the theory of why they are not the same height in black and white!

Ziplicon Tuesday
12-16-05, 03:37 PM
Here are the instructions - I didn't notice anything suggesting the offset is intentional. It bugs me too.....

Mat347
12-16-05, 04:45 PM
Yes, this is done to allow you to see further down the road(on your right) while not blinding oncoming traffic. If you do adjust them, make sure you adjust the right to match the left or you'll get flashed all the time.

Headlight brightness and direction USED to be part of our state inspection. It's a shame it no longer is, I always get glare from those dam BMW HIDs.

obzidian
12-16-05, 04:59 PM
OMG!!!! I thought i was going crazy!!!

Truth in numbers......

Also, even with my lights like this, i get flashed at least once every other day. I like to flash back and see their faces when they drive by...to funny!!! :)

BeagleBrains
12-17-05, 02:39 PM
My favorite brand name for replacement lights is Hella. Their Vision Plus replacement headlamps for conventional round or rectangular headlights provide a similar pattern to my V's light pattern. Many years ago, they sold a headlight called the "Z-Beam". It also projected a flat forward pattern that extended high on the right side of the pattern, not interfering with oncoming driver's vision. Great visibility by lighting up the right side of the road with their special reflector and ground glass lense.
I have used such a headlight for a couple of decades. When we first got the CTS V we reflected :rolleyes: upon how similar and effective the light pattern was. Hella advertises a clear explanation of this right-biased pattern.
I would expect our V HIDs to be intentionally designed as you describe. I like it.