: Loss Power

40 Acres
12-15-05, 09:52 PM
I have an 03 ESV w/53,000M. I admit I was low on gas and on my way to fill up. Just before I made it to the exit it loss all power (engine). The lights and all was still on (radio etc). I had it towed to the dealer and they said that once they ran a few test they realized that it was low on gas and added 4 gallons of gas, then ran more test then deterimine that the fuel pump was shot. I really don't have any options on letting them replace it and the filter due to the fact that by the time I pay to tow it home and get the parts I will have already spent a pretty good grip. I will be buying the extened warranty now. I have a 99 SUB for sale w/78,000M and she never gave me any problems just picked up the CADDY and this is the first time in my life that I had problems on the freeway. I hope it is this was cause by low gas and they are not shafting me. Ohh yea they said that I need a new battery too. I will never run low on gas again.:banghead:

By the way my BURB is listed on autotrader.com

CHECK IT OUT:yup: :yup:

slk230mb
12-15-05, 10:09 PM
The gas in the tank cools the fuel pump, so it's possible that the lack of fuel caused the pump to overheat and get fried.

Rolex
12-15-05, 10:09 PM
GM's sending units are notorious for burning up when you let the tank run low. Its my understanding the fuel is what keeps those pumps cool, and when you let the tank run too low they can overheat and poop out. Sorry to hear you learned that the hard way. Congrats on the new Cadi and welcome to the forums.

slk230mb
12-15-05, 10:10 PM
Damn Rolex we posted the same thing at the same time.

Rolex
12-15-05, 10:13 PM
Yup, but you beat me to the punch. :sneaky: :D

c-noteplus
12-15-05, 10:48 PM
Hey 40 Acres, it looks like we are both in search of the same thing! I have an 03 EXT with 54,000 and currently searching for warranties. You can read my post "Extended Warranty EXT 03". Maybe we can get collaberate on options.

Scott

mikeee
12-15-05, 11:39 PM
The gas in the tank cools the fuel pump, so it's possible that the lack of fuel caused the pump to overheat and get fried.Exactly!

40 Acres
12-17-05, 04:54 AM
got my ride back from dealer.....1000.00 bucks later she runs good.

terrible one
12-17-05, 10:11 AM

*cringe*

slk230mb
12-17-05, 10:27 AM

So was it the fuel pump?

mikeee
12-17-05, 10:45 AM
got my ride back from dealer.....1000.00 bucks later she runs good.1000 for what? Let us know please. Your info could help others in the future, thanks.

skides1
12-19-05, 07:16 PM
You've been "punked"-by your Cadillac dealer. Knock on wood, I have ran out of gas four or five times resulting only in a fried sending unit. When it failed, it read below E.

40 Acres
12-19-05, 07:39 PM
well mayb I got jacked....they called me up and reimbursed me for the battery cause I brought it a few weeks ago..however they said they were not responsible for the fuel pump frying....I asked for a discount on the GM warranty. we 'll see what they say to that. So when all was said and done I got a new fuel pump/filter and dianos. and a 95.00 delco batt.

40 Acres
12-19-05, 07:40 PM
what does the sending unit cost by itself?

40 Acres
12-25-05, 04:11 AM
I called dealer to purchase warranty today and they inform me that I will be reimb. for half of my bill. I choose not to purchase warr. when I brought truck 3 weeks ago. Had problem 2 wks after and that recomm. that I buy warr. so I did and they cover have of bill for fuel pump. They said it brunt out (over heated) cause I ran low on fuel

benamaster
12-25-05, 04:16 PM
How low is low? skides1 said below E when his went. Normally when I'm running low, the low fuel light will come on around 30 mile range. and then at 25 it says LOW. I've never drove it more than a few blocks without putting gas in when it says LOW. How many more miles are you getting after it says LOW for range?

40 Acres
12-25-05, 05:13 PM
about 20-30 miles to work...t was cold and I tried to make it....I honestly think they just used the gas fro a cop-out to selling a truck with a bad fuel pump....however it would have pretty imposs. for them to know it was bad. So I after charging me for replace of pump, batt. and filter they felt bad cause I had just purchased 12 days prior...but I went back and got the warr. so I feel pretty good now....They siad they will stand behind it cause it was certified.