: Repo Men

iametarq
12-15-05, 09:50 PM
Anyone here do this?

I'm watching a 2nd episode on the Discovery Channel about Repo Men. These guys (and girls) are freakin' impressive.

One of the guys was able to pick the lock on a porche and the ignition in under 1 minute! :eek:

If I didn't have my current job, and I lived in a more populated area I'd seriously consider it, even with the danger involved in violent debters.

What I don't understand is how they can drag a FWD vehicle on its front wheels until they can get enough room to lift the vehicle form the front. Wouldn't that do major damage to the transmission even if the dragging distance is short?

powerglide
12-15-05, 09:53 PM
Unregulated wanne be cops.......what a gig!
Sounds like fun but I think I'll pass.....don't wanna get shot over a Chevy I don't even own...

iametarq
12-15-05, 10:04 PM
Unregulated wanne be cops.......what a gig!
Sounds like fun but I think I'll pass.....don't wanna get shot over a Chevy I don't even own...

haha, i don't want to be a cop. it's gotta be sweet to 'steal' things for a living.

they were repo-ing cars, nice ones, boats, semi's, even an airplane.

fast66
12-16-05, 12:46 AM
Did you ever see the episode when they were in texas and tried to get back some guys f150. Oh man when he pulled a gun out and it was outta control.

powerglide
12-16-05, 02:07 AM
Yeah I saw that....what a nut job!
You meet the greatest folks when you're in the repo biz.....

illumina
12-16-05, 02:24 AM
I grew up poor enough to resent the living Hell out of repo men. But that's not worth rehashing I guess...

Now to the present where I live, If you do not have a parking permit sticker on your car, then they are free to tow it, and you can only have your car back at a price of $175.00! This can even be the case should a family member vist: they have taken cars in broad daylight and there is nothing you can do to stop them. If you try, they write your address down and then you may have to deal with an eviction...

One time while I had my "X" over for the night, they came and snatched her car. We had reported it to the police that her car was stolen the next day when we discovered it was gone, only to find out that the car was filed as an intruder on private property. I had to pay $75.00 to get her car back...(By the way, things never worked out with her during that time. Just a one-night thing.) This was about a year ago before they raised their prices to get a car back.

So to all of the repo men: **** YOU!!

Jesda
12-16-05, 03:32 AM
I think those are called tow guys.

mccombie_5
12-16-05, 04:07 AM
Tow guys, repo men all of them.

My dad had repo men at his door not so long back, it was embarrassing for him, as he lives in a relatively nice area. It isnt a fun situation to be in, he had two luxury cars tied into a finance deal sitting in the driveway. they were reposessed, I sorted him out to some extent, now they have a modest 199 Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 (4cyl) and a 1995 Isuzu Trooper Commercial sitting out in the driveway, and a Bentley S1 Continental that he used his retirement to buy sitting in the garage.

He is much happier now there isnt a string of debts over his head.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
12-16-05, 04:52 AM
Only time I've dealt with them is when I took over the assets of another company.

They have no right to entry to your proerty so they lie to ge in or wait until someone else is leaving and push past them through the door.

They came to take back a load of equipment that was leased.
They're always really big guys who try and initimidate you, well I was having none of it.

I wanted to see copies of the lease agreements including serial numbers for the equipment. They have to be able to identify which kit is theirs. Some agreements didn't have the serial numbers, thus they didbn't get the kit.

The ones that did where I still needed the kit, I did them a deal to settle the lease there and then.
Noprmally they'd say:

"There's 18K outstanding, so you need to pay that to keep the stuff"
"I'll give you 8K" - knowing full well that second hand stuff is worth next to nothing.
"No way mate, couldn't take less than 15k".
At this point I decided to call their bluff...
"I'll give you 10K, NOW, and that's my final offer".

They would phone up their boss or whatever and 9 times out of 10 would agree to my deal. If they didn't, at the last minut, just as they were about to take the stuff, I'd pay them their lowest offer.

If you have no money at all it's scary.
In my situation it was part scary, part fun.

70eldo
12-16-05, 06:07 AM
The repo's got my 2 Cadillacs (green 70 Eldo and red 64 CDV) that were sitting in front of my friends house in Newport Beach CA in the street. He was suppost to drive 'm to the shipping company when I was in Holland, but he never did. They got towed away without me knowing it. And he never noticed me about it. So I lost both of them as they were sold after 71 days.

If you are out there driving one of my Cadillacs you better be very happy with it!

Oh, and he's not a friend anymore!!!!

iametarq
12-16-05, 08:30 AM
The repo's got my 2 Cadillacs (green 70 Eldo and red 64 CDV) that were sitting in front of my friends house in Newport Beach CA in the street. He was suppost to drive 'm to the shipping company when I was in Holland, but he never did. They got towed away without me knowing it. And he never noticed me about it. So I lost both of them as they were sold after 71 days.

If you are out there driving one of my Cadillacs you better be very happy with it!

Oh, and he's not a friend anymore!!!!

damn that sucks. these guys on the show last night have got it down to a science. though they checked VIN numbers or serial number on each item before they got it. and yeah that some rules to go by.

I also had my car towed out of a visitor parking spot in Maryland once when visiting my friend during spring break, i packed my stuff out and then when iwent to load my car to drive to Richmond, VA that morning the car was gone. i had to pay $200. he lived in a somewhat shady apartment complex where the management were morons. i was extremely pissed. Probably one of the few times i've wanted to go back and slash some tires...of some tow trucks. but that was the towing company that worked for the apartment complex...

DBA-One
12-16-05, 09:50 AM
I'd pass on that job. It's always funny how the owners act in most cases, as if it is a surprise. What do they think happens when you don't make a payment for 4 mounths? It's too risky.

RobertCTS
12-16-05, 11:02 AM
A repro man isn't far from a bounty hunter. Both can get you killed but the pay is good. I guess they like the rush that goes with it.

illumina
12-16-05, 12:16 PM
I think those are called tow guys.

Many tow guys also do repossessions and the like, and in this case, "Dan the tow man" around here does both...

LittleB
12-16-05, 12:18 PM
I've seen the show, I like it a lot. It's a little dangerous but looks like fun!