: Shifting the V sucks - Yours too?

Ziplicon Tuesday
12-15-05, 10:01 AM
So I'm really getting soured now that the V is in cold weather. The shifting clunk just plain sucks but now especially when it's cold, shifting from 1st to 2nd (did I mention that it sucks?) tends to almost hang up. It's only between those two gears, it's like they're out of sync or something.

Is this yet another "normal" feature that sucks? Nobody tries to buy American more than I do, but I'm starting to cringe everytime I see an article about how smooth some of the upper end rice burners are. I currently own 6 GM vehicles and am about to become a past customer because the compromises suck. I have a 14 year old cherry Stealth - never a problem with it - even likes the snow.

I love my V, but let's admit it, deep down I'm embarrased for GM and the USA's ability to compeat. Per Motor Trend, even the Korean cars are better.....and that just sucks.

alcast082
12-15-05, 10:43 AM
it could be the syncros, take it to the dealer,
WHAT REALLY helps is getting the uuc or b&M shifter.

JOEYCTS-V
12-15-05, 10:52 AM
I have the UUC shifter and mine still does it.

veloce
12-15-05, 11:14 AM
Mine shifts fine.As I have said before on this forum ,I'm used to cars from the 60s and 70s so its no problem. jeff

ctsvett
12-15-05, 12:26 PM
I had this issue before my uuc and I have it now... THe biggest problem is going from nuetral into first at a light when I have not had my foot on the clutch for a while (waiting for the light to change).

I have been complaining about this since I have had the car.. I am finally MAYBE going to get to meet the field rep about this issue.. The socal field rep seems like a real A$$hole since he has canceled about 10 appointments and is lying to everyone!

This shifting issue NOT normal...Anyone else have this shifting issue (UUC or not)... THis is not the shift linkage, but something in the tranny...

Reed

GT04CTS-V
12-15-05, 12:43 PM
I have the UUC shifter. No problem going from neutral to first or reverse. The shifts are smooth a glass with any clunkyness.
GT

OldRoadDawg
12-15-05, 12:54 PM
Rolled my V out of the garage yesterday. It was 18 deg, but after a few minutes it loosened up. Been driving manual transmissions for 40+ years and have routinely dropped it into 2nd before shifting into 1st at a stop, so it has never been a problem.

lasstss
12-15-05, 01:05 PM
There have been modifications made to the trans by tremec. Why not try calling them and see if you can get an answer.
it might be possible to get the mods done outside of the factory by shipping it to them. It is easy to pull..

I know its a warranty issue but sometimes you have to be proactive.

Ziplicon Tuesday
12-15-05, 01:16 PM
This problem is different than the one when shifting into first from netural. I have that sometimes too and the manual even has a paragraph about it. This problem is going from first to second - and does seem to get less after it's warmed up. I've had manual transmissions in everything from a 78 Trans Am to a VW Sicrocco to a Stealth and never had this kind of B.S.

I'm going to take it to the dealer but am afraid I'm going to lose my temper and go ape sh*t. I've actually returned new cars in the past (1982 Chevy J car - kept it three weeks after waiting 17 weeks to order it and made them take it back). In 85, I had a new Chrysler with their best stereo and I made'em take it out and give me the money to buy an after market unit after two months. Anger management classes didn't help.

Ziplicon Tuesday
12-15-05, 01:20 PM
Dagone Lasstss, you guys are SO out of my league when it comes to working on cars - ain't never heard anybody say "it's an easy pull" when talking about a transmission. It's a good thought though to contact Tremec, but it's the principal of it all at this point.

golfdude
12-15-05, 04:00 PM
Maybe the transmission input shaft splines need to be lubricated. See if the dealer will do this!

rayban
12-15-05, 04:04 PM
It's been sub 20F around here and I agree, 1st to 2nd is very stiff and mushy until the car warms up. I've been meaning to watch the transmission display to see if there is a relational temperature at which the problem clears up.

FastEddy
12-15-05, 05:07 PM
The shifting clunk just plain sucks but now especially when it's cold, shifting from 1st to 2nd (did I mention that it sucks?) tends to almost hang up. It's only between those two gears, it's like they're out of sync or something.

Are you sure you are not hitting the factory skip shift??

That may explain it

Good Luck

lasstss
12-15-05, 05:17 PM
There are 2 things that cause a manual trans to be hard to shift.....
Its damn cold and the oil is like molasses, in which case it does lot let the parts slip and the internals are staying in motion (basically stuck to each other).

When warmed up should go away...

The clutch is not fully disengaging and again, the parts (gears and synchros)are in motion.

Doesent go away.

Beyond this.... synchro trouble if its quiet.

bjohnso0
12-15-05, 05:25 PM
Mine only does it when it's cold (below 30 deg). This is a common complaint with GM stick cars and trucks. I did trans and diff work for GM in the mid 90s, and found then that synthetic fluids sometimes cured the problems. It might be worth a shot. The factory fluid type for the T56 is DexronIII, but Castrol or Mobil 1 make a synthetic that meets the requiremets for new cars in a sythetic.

Seattle CTS-V
12-15-05, 05:55 PM
Are you sure you are not hitting the factory skip shift??

That may explain it

Good Luck

That's what I was thinking.

From the FAQ:

CAGS (or Computer Aided Gear Selection) is a EPA fix to force a driver to get better gas mileage. CAGS will activate under the following conditions:
the engine coolant temperature is higher than 169F,
vehicles speeds are 15-19 mph and
The throttle percentage is 21 or less

JOEYCTS-V
12-15-05, 09:49 PM
I did trans and diff work for GM in the mid 90s, and found then that synthetic fluids sometimes cured the problems.

I switched to Mobil 1 transmission fluid at 10,000 miles and I still have the same problem.

Ziplicon Tuesday
12-16-05, 02:39 PM
It's not the skip shift - I have the Stealth V CAGs - (does that qualify as a mod?). Hey, by the way, will the dealer give me crap about that?

And yeah, it does go away once it's warmed up....odd that the other gears are not affected - perhaps it's to do with the torque when in first?

obzidian
12-16-05, 05:14 PM
its probably the temp or the fluid.

However, i have the same thing. trouble going to first, reverse, or any other gear for that matter! I just get denied like if hitting the gate. I believe that either my clutch isnt fullt disengaging or the synchros are done....not steel like the vipers but a hard composite material, non metallic if im not mistaken.

Or, it could be both..all i know is that when she gets really hot, trans goes up to 160-180 degrees, all gears are more crunchy in feel when shifting and it drives me nuts.

Oh, heres a new one, now, about 50% of the time, whenever i shiftout/in any gear i hear and FEEL a click/tick sound. Its like something is loose and pops in and out of position...very interesting....!!

Rey
12-16-05, 05:22 PM
I switched to Mobil 1 transmission fluid early on for the simple reason that it pours/flows and, presumably, lubes better when cold. By "cold" I mean any lube temp of less than 100 degrees. With a cold-soaked transmission temp of 30 degrees, it shifts somewhat harder but still acceptably.
The Tremec transmission is a very large transmission with heavy gears, as it should be. Weight squared x speed = mass. The mass of the Tremec gear train is much greater than say a Honda's, so it will never shift as easily as the Honda.
If your transmission is out of spec, it should be producing metal shavings. Drain the transmission and save the oil to a sterile container. Then have the oil tested. The results will tell you a lot, and will provide some documentation for a warranty claim.

arr0gant
12-16-05, 05:27 PM
Once mine warms up, it shifts fine. My Boxster S is the same way.

benjet
12-21-05, 12:13 AM
I had this issue before my uuc and I have it now... THe biggest problem is going from nuetral into first at a light when I have not had my foot on the clutch for a while (waiting for the light to change).

I have been complaining about this since I have had the car.. I am finally MAYBE going to get to meet the field rep about this issue.. The socal field rep seems like a real anal cavity since he has canceled about 10 appointments and is lying to everyone!

This shifting issue NOT normal...Anyone else have this shifting issue (UUC or not)... THis is not the shift linkage, but something in the tranny...

Reed

Me!

blown65
12-21-05, 12:38 AM
Mine isnt terrible but 1st and R are hard to get into gear, and temp has nothing to do with it for me. Ive just got used to it I guess. My prob is, now the Reverse lockout seems to be screwing and and my wife keeps nailing reverse at 50-60mph. I've never done it, but then again, I dont seem to have a problem finding the right path. hehe

Ishminder
02-02-06, 10:03 PM
its probably the temp or the fluid.

However, i have the same thing. trouble going to first, reverse, or any other gear for that matter! I just get denied like if hitting the gate. I believe that either my clutch isnt fullt disengaging or the synchros are done....not steel like the vipers but a hard composite material, non metallic if im not mistaken.

Or, it could be both..all i know is that when she gets really hot, trans goes up to 160-180 degrees, all gears are more crunchy in feel when shifting and it drives me nuts.

Oh, heres a new one, now, about 50% of the time, whenever i shiftout/in any gear i hear and FEEL a click/tick sound. Its like something is loose and pops in and out of position...very interesting....!!

Did you ever find a solution? Mine does the same exact thing, but they cannot duplicate because they never drive till the temperature gets there! Please let me know.

Closer_2001
02-02-06, 11:11 PM

I have been complaining about this since I have had the car.. I am finally MAYBE going to get to meet the field rep about this issue.. The socal field rep seems like a real anal cavity since he has canceled about 10 appointments and is lying to everyone!

Reed

CadillacFAQ shows a PI for this
The text says if it happens more than 5% of the time, a trans replacement is warranted.