: Any graphics people out there? Need advise on a job I did this summer.

SwftCdy
12-15-05, 08:59 AM
(rookie waving 'hi')

www.a1teamusa.com (http://www.a1teamusa.com/)

Sometime in September I was asked to do some graphics work to support the A1 Grand Prix Team USA. I don't do this stuff professionally, I do it because it's fun. The company that asked me to create the design knew the work I did on the Moore Cadillac Drift car.... and they also know that design was turned around in a matter of hours. -- The job was an on-demand "we have less than 7 days to get this thing up!" type job. Of course the last thing we discussed was price. (and here in lies the problem)

Well, I did meet the deadline on the graphic. If you go to the pictures section of the website above, you'll see the American Flag panels that make up the garage walls are infact actually being used. The panels travel around the world with the team and (obviously) show up in a lot of photos.

So ... now here's where I disclose how stupid I am. The company that requested the work never paid me. After sending two invoices (one with just hrs worked, and one with an actual dollar figure), I have yet to hear back from them ... and after that I really haven't tried. Why? Because I have no idea what this job is/was worth! UGH!

I didn't care so much until it was brought to my attention that this is probably worth a lot more money than I think it is ... and that bothers me.

Does anyone on here work in this kind of business? Or know someone who does? I'm looking for an estimate on what to bill this company for ... so I don't feel like I'm getting ripped off so bad and I will provide more information by request!

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you! :)

70eldo
12-15-05, 09:29 AM
I don't think you can change the amount you charged them for before. But you can amend them (again) to pay. I hope you can get this straightened out, as it really sucks to see your work used by other people that didn't pay for it!

There are some graphics designers on the internet with indicating prices. Maybe check that out?

I did some graphics work too, but only for friends.

Good luck man!

SwftCdy
12-15-05, 09:49 AM
I think the only thing I have going for me at this point is that the invoices were never acknowledged.

I currently have a handful of feelers out to give me an idea on what the job was worth. Right now, any money is better than no money ... and I figure I am going to come up short on what it was actually worth, but it would atleast be nice to know. ;)

tru504187211
12-15-05, 10:46 AM
Did both parties sign an agreement/ contract before the work began?

SwftCdy
12-15-05, 11:29 AM
nope, it's the biggest problem with "on demand" work.

But there is implied contract, secured via email and the statement "make sure you invoice me"

It's more a question of how much to bill for than anything else. I don't want to bill $100 for a job that might be worth $100,000 ya know? (laughing)

tru504187211
12-15-05, 05:29 PM
Have a contract template on your PC and change the names on demand and name your price up front...especially when friends what you to do work for them...get their signature on that paper! I wouldn't charge less than $400 for your work...but I also don't know how much time you put in.

Caddy Man
12-17-05, 03:25 AM
I say you just make a set price per graphic. Its kinda hard to really write down how many hours it took you to do it. Thats not a very reliable estimate since there is no official documentation of when you began, when you finished, etc.

SwftCdy
12-17-05, 10:47 AM
I logged on my hours in the calender and it took around 18 for the whole job... but considering that it was an on-demand job ... and the whole point was to meet a deadline as quickly as possble, charging by the hour is kind of shooting myself in the foot.

At the very least, they need to pay me for all the calls to England! (lol)

RobertCTS
12-17-05, 01:18 PM
If they didn't pay you for the lesser amount, what makes you think they would pay for a higher amount? It unfortunately won't happen. The best you can do is turn them in to the BBB(Better Business Bureau).