: Oil "Blow By"

o-woody
12-15-05, 12:05 AM
My N* has 102K miles. I changed the spark plugs around 85K mi. This week, my Cadillac stalled at a traffic light???? I decided to check the plugs.... All of the even plug (thatís as far as I got) looked fouled, like plugs from a 2 stroke motor. I am using oil! Also, there was oil residue on the ceramic part of the plug.

Is there something I can do with the dealer involved?

Is it time to bail on the car?:hmm:

Thanks!

Woody

Ranger
12-15-05, 06:32 PM
Oil on the ceramic or in the plug well is from a leaky seal in the cam cover. Usually just a little seepage and nothing to get too worried about. Not sure why your plugs are fouling. How much oil are you using?

o-woody
12-20-05, 09:25 PM
Usually about 1 qt per oil change. This last oil change, (about 3K mile ago) she used about 2.5 qts. I dont know if this is a fluke or what. She runs good (except whne she is cold...Knocking and occasionlal hesitation) The fuel economy has gone down recently.

Im going on a long trip for X-mas and I am concerned about the trip. I changed the plugs today. The old ones only had about 21K on them. WOW, they were dirty!

Thanks!

eldorado1
12-20-05, 10:08 PM
Have you been doing your recommended WOTs? It's odd to have just one bank oil fouled. I would recommend inspecting and replacing the PCV valve. Check to see if it's not sticking, or soaking with oil. Also, to "jump start" the oil consumption problem, you might want to look into doing a top engine treatment. You can do it yourself for $10, look at "removing the evil carbon" in the tech tips forum. The WOTs work good to keep the engine free of carbon, but the top engine treatment is for advanced cases where owners don't keep up on their WOT maintenance