: Misfirin' 98 DeVille. How much $ is DTC p0300,603,1381 cost?

powerglide
12-18-03, 07:33 PM
It idles rough sometimes, service engine lights stays on a and sometimes flashes when misfiring on heavy acceleration.
I pulled the DTC's

IRC U1255
RFA B3108

PCM p0300
p0603
p01381

basically telling me its misfiring but dunno what else it means.

Please advise

98 deville 71.5 K Miles

JimD
12-18-03, 07:55 PM
Your P0300 and P1381 are telling you what you already know; it is mis-firing. Ignition and fuel delivery will require more detailed investigation to isolate specific problem.

The P0603 it telling you long term memory reset. The battery has been disconnected?

Have you recently put a new battery in your keyless remote fob? B3108 thinks you have and you did not do the 'synchronization' operation.

Spurious Uxxxx codes are common one-time events that do not necessarily indicate a problem.

Clear them all and see what comes back.

Good luck. Jim

powerglide
12-18-03, 08:33 PM
Your P0300 and P1381 are telling you what you already know; it is mis-firing. Ignition and fuel delivery will require more detailed investigation to isolate specific problem.

The P0603 it telling you long term memory reset. The battery has been disconnected?

Have you recently put a new battery in your keyless remote fob? B3108 thinks you have and you did not do the 'synchronization' operation.

Spurious Uxxxx codes are common one-time events that do not necessarily indicate a problem.

Clear them all and see what comes back.

Good luck. Jim

Thanx Jim
Yup, battery drained at airport lot and had it recharged recently
the remotes were reprogrammed at the dealer (do I need to resynch it....ie hold down both uttons on the remote etc etc? it works fine though)

I reset it all and the csr now drives fine (no misfires yet) drove it for sbout 1 hours, no new codes... hmm?

what do you recommend? dealership?

JimD
12-18-03, 08:52 PM
Drive it. Do nothing until you see new codes.

Jim

JimD
12-18-03, 09:18 PM
But I would be wondering why the battery discharged at the airport????

Jim

powerglide
12-18-03, 09:55 PM
But I would be wondering why the battery discharged at the airport????

Jim

thats most likey from the cd changer weakening the battery (which was disconnected)...gew week ago I figured out its been shorting and draining the battery (it had to be jumped a few times till I disconnected the changer)

I'll see what happens next.

powerglide
12-20-03, 11:49 PM
So its misfiring again. Code p0300 is back but nothing else.... what next?

JimD
12-21-03, 11:42 AM
Here is what I would do before I opened my tool box or took it to a repair shop.

Locate a lightly travelled section of Interstate and do several WOT runs to 70 MPH (or faster) to purge garbage from the cylinders. From a stop, with gear selector in 2, punch the throttle wide open (WOT) and let the engine wind to the red-line and it will shift to second. Keep it on the floor as long as you can or dare to. Then let it compression brake (leave gear selector in 2) down to low speed. Repeat several times keeping your eye on the temperature gauge.

The brown cloud you see in the mirror is a good thing. Clear the codes and see if the misfire DTC reappears.

Good luck. Jim

powerglide
12-21-03, 05:32 PM
Here is what I would do before I opened my tool box or took it to a repair shop.

Locate a lightly travelled section of Interstate and do several WOT runs to 70 MPH (or faster) to purge garbage from the cylinders. From a stop, with gear selector in 2, punch the throttle wide open (WOT) and let the engine wind to the red-line and it will shift to second. Keep it on the floor as long as you can or dare to. Then let it compression brake (leave gear selector in 2) down to low speed. Repeat several times keeping your eye on the temperature gauge.

The brown cloud you see in the mirror is a good thing. Clear the codes and see if the misfire DTC reappears.

Good luck. Jim

....alright...that sounds fun and kinda intense on the mechanicals.....whats your theoy? (carbon build up on plugs or crud on O2 sensor?)

I'm afraid this will fk up other components....no?

Thanks

powerglide
12-21-03, 05:39 PM
....alright...that sounds fun and kinda intense on the mechanicals.....whats your theoy? (carbon build up on plugs or crud on O2 sensor?)

I'm afraid this will fk up other components....no?

Thanks
for instance how about if it misfires badly while WOT....bad things can happen there right?

I generally drive the car pretty hard (but not in about a month since this started happening) WOT up the entrace ramp and cruise around 85 and punch it up over 90 on and off.......not gonna do it?

powerglide
12-23-03, 05:03 PM

Good luck. Jim

Alright, just spent the morning blasting up and down the hudson parkway.
WOT, 2nd gear, 5000+ RPM. I was really impressed with the N*, it was responsive and felt alot like the classic inline 6 in Beamers!?

Anyways, didn't make and difference to the misfiring, it still does it and the code p0300 is back...also the RF code too.