: Theftlock and dealers

cgeorge303
12-14-05, 08:11 PM
I bought an 05 touch screen nav system for my 03 Escalade EXT. Everyone has told me the dealer can unlock the theftlock and reset the VIN so the unit will work. I have the Bose system and I installed the unit and it comes on in theftlock mode. I have called 3 local Cadillac dealers and 1 GMC dealer and they all think I am from Mars and can't figure out how to do this. Can anyone put me in touch with a dealer that knows what they are doing and that can explain this to my local dealer? Thanks

Chris in Colorado

Playdrv4me
12-14-05, 08:47 PM
I bought an 05 touch screen nav system for my 03 Escalade EXT. Everyone has told me the dealer can unlock the theftlock and reset the VIN so the unit will work. I have the Bose system and I installed the unit and it comes on in theftlock mode. I have called 3 local Cadillac dealers and 1 GMC dealer and they all think I am from Mars and can't figure out how to do this. Can anyone put me in touch with a dealer that knows what they are doing and that can explain this to my local dealer? Thanks

Chris in Colorado

I think you really need to bring the truck and the unit in. Sometimes it seems like asking for work like this over the phone is completely fruitless until the technicians actually have the thing in front of their face and a lightbulb goes off in their heads. Its pretty close to impossible they have no idea or have never had to unlock a theftlock radio before if theyve replaced batteries or changed out headunits.

ewill3rd
12-14-05, 09:32 PM
Yeah, if you pull into the service lane and show them the radio is locked they should be able to grab a scan tool and do the theft relearn for you.

When I get the radios from Specmo, they set them up to learn the VIN of the car you plug them into so you don't have to do the theft learn.
If it's been in another car it knows that VIN and when you swap it, it checks 2 other computers (I think) to see if the VIN matches. If it doesn't it will lock the radio. Someone with a Tech 2 just needs to tell the radio it's okay to work in your truck.
Good luck.

flyingdutchman
12-15-05, 12:35 AM
Reset Instructions

Document ID# 1275527

Radio Setup (With RPO UM8)

Radio Theftlock Clear Procedure

Complete the following procedure, using a scan tool, in order to properly set up communication:

1. At the Main Menu screen, select: Diagnostics.
2. At the Vehicle Identification screen, select the following options:
* Model Year
* LD Trk, MPV, Incomplete
3. At the System Selection Menu screen, select: Body
4. At the Vehicle Identification screen, select the following:
* Appropriate model
* Appropriate Air Conditioning
* Navigation Radio
5. At the Body Screen, select: Navigation Radio.
6. At the Radio screen, select: Special Functions.
7. At the Special Functions screen, select: VIN Relearn.
8. At the VIN Relearn screen, the scan tool will display "Do you want to clear radio theft information?"
9. To begin clearing, press the soft touch key on the top right of the scan tool. The scan tool will display "Clearing Radio Theft in Progress."
10. Press EXIT on the scan tool and cycle the ignition.

Important: The radio theft will learn the VIN. Without learning the VIN, the radio will display a locked message (LOC or LOCKED).

flyingdutchman
12-15-05, 12:38 AM
To TEMPORARILY bypass theftlock do the following
1) Turn key to ACC position ( not run)
2) Wait for "theftlock" screen to appear
3) Pull radio fuse
4) Put radio fuse back in
5) Radio will work as normal until key is turned off or vehicle is started

If this dosen't work for you, is it possible you bought a NON-LUX Touchscreen and not one for the Y91 Lux-Amp