: Extended Warranty 03 EXT???

c-noteplus
12-14-05, 06:22 PM
I have no experience with maintenance on this vehicle and I am wondering what to do? I just picked up my lade with 54,000 miles for $27,500 (new tires, nav, excellent shape) which I think was an ok deal. I still have the opportunity to get 4 yr/ 48,000 GM bumper to bumper for $3500 more.

Should I do it or take a chance?

Thanks

ZX_man
12-14-05, 06:46 PM
If I had to do it all over again I would have gotten it. Once I passed 50K I was on my own. I had a few issues that I had to work through, but it would have been nice to take it to the dealer and let them worry about it. Nothing major, (heated seat issue, squeaky serpentine pulley). Just my opinion.

Walter

Spittin Game
12-14-05, 09:56 PM
$27500 for an 03 with nav? Why do people just whore them out??? I wouldnt even let my 02 go for that on a trade in. Pathetic that these people panic and **** up the resale value of these trucks!

fast66
12-15-05, 09:03 AM
$27500 for an 03 with nav? Why do people just whore them out??? I wouldnt even let my 02 go for that on a trade in. Pathetic that these people panic and **** up the resale value of these trucks!

man I saw an 02 ext for 23,000 on ebay the other day. It had around 70K mi. people are getting stupid

As for the warranty I tihnk that is a little expensive but eventually it will pay itself off.

I bought from warrantydirect.com when I had 40K and it lasts until 100K or 2008
It costed me around $1,900 and it has already paid itself off just for buying some new tierods and balljoints. You will most probably have a transmission problem and that along will be aroudn $1,500.
good luck

AZ Escalade
12-15-05, 10:00 AM
I have no experience with maintenance on this vehicle and I am wondering what to do? I just picked up my lade with 54,000 miles for $27,500 (new tires, nav, excellent shape) which I think was an ok deal. I still have the opportunity to get 4 yr/ 48,000 GM bumper to bumper for $3500 more.

Should I do it or take a chance?

Thanks

I just bought my '05 Escalade a couple months ago and did not get the factory extended warranty. RE: my father-in-law deals with extended warraties and he said that most factory warranties are too expensive. He recommends that you use the existing factory warranty and before it runs out - either years or miles - purchase an extended warranty. You will have to wait a bit before you can use it if you wait. That's why you should get it with some warranty remaining on your original one. Some are up to 2 months wait period before you can claim something. You can get extended warranties from reputable companies that Cadillac will recognize for up to 7 more years for up to half the cost of what the factory will offer. There are many extended warranties out there, so you will have to do some homework. But you do not have to buy one now as the dealer always scares you into.

Scott

c-noteplus
12-15-05, 01:01 PM
I have another quote for $2500 from the Chrysler dealer I bought the truck from. I have to bring it to a Chrysler dealer for repair however. It seemed to make more sense to go to a Cadillac dealer (the Chrysler and Cadillac dealers are part of a chain) so that’s when I got the other quote for $3500. I did talk them down from $3900 so I don’t think they will move any more.

It sounds like most of you are saying get the warranty but not the GM warranty. Should I do the Chrysler one? It sounds like you get better service with either GM or Chrysler than a “generic” warranty.

Thanks Scott

JOHNNYRENO
12-15-05, 01:42 PM
1500 bucks is about right,,,, 3500 is including a bit more than a warranty it includes lube if you know what i mean

csmooth79
12-15-05, 02:00 PM
I have another quote for $2500 from the Chrysler dealer I bought the truck from. I have to bring it to a Chrysler dealer for repair however. It seemed to make more sense to go to a Cadillac dealer (the Chrysler and Cadillac dealers are part of a chain) so that’s when I got the other quote for $3500. I did talk them down from $3900 so I don’t think they will move any more.

It sounds like most of you are saying get the warranty but not the GM warranty. Should I do the Chrysler one? It sounds like you get better service with either GM or Chrysler than a “generic” warranty.

Thanks Scott

Call your local caddi/gm dealer. I just bought the GM Major Guard 3/45 for 2000 with a $100 deductible. Talk to the finance manager and tell him you want to go with this so you can drop it off and not worry about it. It may be a little more expensive b/c I only had 35k on my truck, but to be able to drop off at a caddi dealer, get rental, guaranteed to get fixed(in most cases). I felt better. Also they allowed me to finance it, with no credit check just a 90.55 eft withdrawal after I paid the down payment. Do what you want but Im :bouncy: .

c-noteplus
12-15-05, 09:09 PM
I have checked with warrantydirect and it was ~$3400 and a few others like autowarranty is ~$2500. It seems to be around those numbers because of being over 50,000.

Can ASE mechanic at a Chrysler dealer do the job? Will they know the ticks,whines,whistles and clunks? Or is it worth $1000 more for the "GM" experience?

Rolex
12-15-05, 09:38 PM
GM mechanics will usually take these aftermarket warranties just as fast as they will take the GMAC warranty. The biggest difference is the cost of the GMAC, which is generally several hundred dollars more expensive. I have had pretty good luck with aftermarket warranties ofered by car dealers, but have never bought them offline.

The extended warranties will run more $$ now that the factory warranty has expired on your Cadi. I paid around $2600 for a 5/100k bumper-to-bumoer with a $100 deductable when I had 44k miles on the clock. It's a sound investment if you plan on keeping the vehicle for any length of time. If you sell the vehicle the dealer and warranty company will offer a pro-rated refund so it's not a total loss.

c-noteplus
12-15-05, 09:53 PM
So do you think I should do the GM 4/48 for $3500 or the Chrysler 5/50 for $2500?They are both B to B. I am avoiding online warranties, just trying to make a decision between the two.

Rolex
12-15-05, 10:05 PM
Personally I bought the 5/100 no-name aftermarket warranty for $2600, and denied the 4/75 GMAC for around $3500. I got a longer warranty for less money which made more sense to me.

c-noteplus
12-15-05, 10:15 PM
Rolex,
I hate to be asking so many questions but I will ask one more.You could bring your vehicle to a GM dealer with your warranty? My delema as well as cost is if the Chrysler service/mechanic is going to be OK?:hmm:

Rolex
12-15-05, 10:36 PM
I don't mind the questions at all. I purchased this aftermkt warranty from a Cadi dealer, but it's just as good if I take it to a Chevy dealer or a Firestone to get work done. I don't know the answer to your question in terms of will a GM dealer take a Chrysler warranty. I will tell you I wouldn't take a Cadi to a Chrysler repair shop, but that's just me. It may be in your best interest to call the number on the brochure and ask where the warranty is, and is not accepted.

My Cadi dealer will call the warranty company and get all repairs pre-approved to avoid putting me into a "pay up" situation. A few years ago when I had multiple problems with an older Jeep, I had to be a complete arsehole to the service people and the warranty company to get them to cover repairs. After several thousands of dollars in repairs to this Grand Cherokee they tried to deny me coverage, but I was too persistent to let that happen. I also made the finance guy who sold me the warranty listen to me bitch, which made him go to bat for me.

Find out where the warranty is accepted before buying. If Chrysler is the only dealer who will accept it, ask the service manager if there would be any issues in having their people repair a Cadi. Don't gamble....extended warranties are a sound investment considering the cost to repair vehicles today.

40 Acres
12-16-05, 12:00 AM
I feel that I got a pretty good deal on my ESV when I picked it up. I searched the net for all ESV's within 200M and the one that I purchased was the 1st one that I looked at and about 3 wks later it was mine. 2 wks after that it was back for a jacked up fuel pump.
anwayI left the cadi dealer w/o warranty cause I have a friend that sells chevy's and his sales manger told me that he will give me the best warranty at dealer cost. well I brought my truck on Fri. and went in for the warranty on Sat. and he said 2500 for 3yr. + 250 the 1st time I use it and 100 thereafter.I told him that it was cheaper @ the cadi dealer. Needless to say I told him to go to .....So on the way to the dealer today to get my remote (keyless) entry programed it loss power and I have no warranty. so I will probally just do the warranty at the dealer that I purchased it from. They have all service records. Next question if I have probs. with my tranny will the warranty take care of it? I have a Super Charger that the dealer installed.