: Just beat a Porsche.

04CTSVFLA
12-14-05, 01:44 PM
Well I left school Tuesday. Pulled up behind a older Camaro SS maybe 1969? Anyways sounded loud. But we turned the corner both punched it, and I walked away. The SS hunh low and went slow about a mile back the rest of the way - i think he was ashamed. That was that. Then I see a friend in his 03 Mustang GT with exhaust - fooled around with him for a little, but we couldnt find an open stretch. About 20 min later on the otherside of town. Im waiting at the left hand turn signal to make a left into my development, and low and behold a silver 996 hardtop pulls up in the far right lane - a buick pulls in between us. I say **** becaquse im in the LH turn lane - i pray our signals turn green simultaneously, and they do! I somewhat quickly launch 1st (but not in a race way, smoothly, no tire spin, just to get in front and cut off the buick) The guy in the porsche gunned it off the line. I grinned :cool2: slammed into 2nd and we were going. By the time we hit about 75 I was about a length and a half ahead of him ( i considered the race to be from a rolling start of about 20mph is when I actually "hit it" and i was in second when I did "hit it" at 20mph so I didnt get to take full advantage of 1st) We both quickly shutdown seeing a cop with his lights on up ahead helping a broken down cars passenger. Both of our brakes lit up and I heard his squeal real bad (that carbon build up SUCKS!). Today, I pull out of my development right next to the same guy (or so I think - silver 996 hardtop - there probably arent that many of these in little podunk gainesville) and we do some sprited driving cutting in and out of the lanes. From a higher roll start I think I coulda beat him by more than I did beacsue when we were just cutting it around today. A couple times he would floor it and I would be behind him and I would start to get right up on him real fast ( so I know the V is faster from rolls - probably the TORQUE advantage). I would however like to race this guy from a dig, I think it would be realy close - with him having a slight advantage off the line, and me having a slight tq and top end advantage. Anyways, sorry for the long post, but Im ecstatic - a porsche is one car ive been dying to race and beat. and i did. plus my dad's got a porsche, now i have some bragging to do :bighead: . Thanks post your comments.

arr0gant
12-14-05, 03:07 PM
GJ 04-V

I am really curious about how I will do against a (996)911 and (996)911 Cabriolet; especially in the summer, with great tires, now that I have the Bushings done. 0 to 60 and QM.

04CTSVFLA
12-14-05, 03:53 PM
i will put money on it for sure youll beat the cabrio bc of extra weight of the convertible from a dig. the 996 hrdtop will be close...real close from a dig. from a roll i think youll beat both of them comparing to how i matched up, stock, against this porsche.

DrivingAmericanNow
12-14-05, 04:03 PM
Nice to hear a Porsche driver was willing to play. The only one I ever got to go against the V was a mid-eighties 928 s4 on the highway. It wasn't even close.

As for the 911 and all it's variants, I can't tell them apart. Some of them are slow and others are fast as hell. "Kinda like a box a choklatz.........."

I guess the 996 is right there in the middle of the pack, not slow, not fast, but it still looks like all the other turtle-shaped 911 thingys.

04CTSVFLA
12-14-05, 04:19 PM
theres the 996 which comes in rear wheel, 4 wheel drive, and in a convertible. then theres the turbo - whole different ball game. then theres the gt3 which i believe is an allmotor 996 with diff timing/a/f/compression etc. and is faster then theres the gt2 - turbo faster than refular turbo then theres the gt - fast as **** 625 hp then theres the boxster - but who really cares to talk about those

MCaesar
12-14-05, 04:36 PM
The new 911s are beasts! They launch so hard that they even beat the C6 by almost half a second in the 1/4

I have seen them at 12.3 stock

Ziplicon Tuesday
12-14-05, 04:38 PM
Nice kill CTSVFLA - sounds like you guys down south have plenty of takers for a challenge. I can't do crap up north with the F-1's still on. I was slipping over the weekend just becasue of the cold. Got to find some decent crome wheels so I can get some other tires but there isn't much on line that fits and are only about a grand.

Ain't killing sh*t up here - in the snow so far I'v been driving my daughter's Chevy Cavalear with a dagone stuffed care bear haning from the mirror.....how cool is that?

04CTSVFLA
12-14-05, 04:47 PM
MCAESAR I saw a bone stock c6 z06 do 11.3 i think or maybe 11.5

CVP33
12-14-05, 05:20 PM
996 Should've been closer. Spec's below:

0-60mph: 4.6 seconds
0-1/4 mile: 13.2s
Top Speed: 175 mph

MCaesar
12-14-05, 05:39 PM
MCAESAR I saw a bone stock c6 z06 do 11.3 i think or maybe 11.5

That is haulin' ___

04CTSVFLA
12-14-05, 05:44 PM
THATS FOR A NEW ONE CVP - 2006? The one I raced was probably a 2001 mb 2002

ahahnu
12-14-05, 06:00 PM
Nice Kill!!

Zip- I saw you driving that- you were wearing shades, and a hat. Stop trying to dodge everyone, let your true rainbow come out!

dqw1
12-14-05, 06:20 PM
nice kill. I don't recall but are still stock or did you Mod? Just wondering what you have under the beast. Mind telling?

CVP33
12-14-05, 10:55 PM
THATS FOR A NEW ONE CVP - 2006? The one I raced was probably a 2001 mb 2002

1998 was the only model year I could find reliable spec's for.