: Radiator blues

bjohnso0
12-14-05, 10:54 AM
Just got a smokin' deal on an '05 with 3600 miles on it. (That's the good news)
It's at the dealership for a leaking radiator and they are on national back order. (That's the bad news)
I'm in the automotive industry, so I have all of my vendors trying to locate a radiator for me. Has anyone else ran into this?

roadracerx72
12-14-05, 11:35 AM
seems like everyone

roadracerx72
12-14-05, 11:44 AM
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/tsb/05-06-02-005a.pdf

bjohnso0
12-14-05, 12:35 PM
I just noticed your in Palmdale. I live on the east side of Lancaster. We'll have to check out each other's cars some time.

roadracerx72
12-14-05, 01:32 PM
WOW! A local with a V! I have never seen a V here. Let me know when. Who has your car?? Rally??

MSJ
12-14-05, 03:22 PM
I've seen quite a few threads on people unable to get replacement radiators. Oddly, mine went in last week for it and they were able to get one overnight. I got the car back and the water pump let go, their initial check showed none available and they were able to expedite and got one within three days. Good luck to you on the repair and here's hopin' they find one for you quickly.

cheers! mike

vetteboy2k
12-14-05, 05:12 PM
Just another note, I took my V into the dealer on Monday (leaking radiator, whining on my 2nd diff, leak on power steering pressure line) and the repairs were all done today. I pick the car up tomorrow thursday morning. They put in a new diff, I asked what the part number was and they said 15 bla bla bla (the updated 06 diff) and the service manager who I took a road test with to let him hear the whining, asked if he wanted me to break in the new diff for me the initial time. I gave him the permission as they said it would help if there were any more problems with the diff in the future (being my 3rd already). I can care less about someone else driving the V. I know hes not going to beat on it b/c then they will just have to install another one!!! Oh and a new power steering hose, and new radiator. Great service!!!

bjohnso0
12-14-05, 06:43 PM
Luckily I have some connections. I manage 5 major large diesel fleet operations in So. Cal, and my vendors like me. One of them in Bakersfield found two AC Delco radiators in Tacoma Washington. The service manager at the dealership offered me a job after that. He ordered both radiators because there was another V in his shop for the same problem. And NO I didn't take it to Rally!! Mine is at Martin Cadillac in LA. They are really treating me great. They've got me set up in a brand new Yukon right now. It's not a V, but it'll do for now.

BeagleBrains
12-14-05, 09:37 PM
I have been receiving the "Check Coolant Level" alarm since the V was about six months old. It is gotten so that the "Coolant" alarm comes in on every engine start; when acknowledged, the Coolant Level alarms again after a few miles driven. Took it in for other problems. I presented a printout of the FAQ on the radiator problem. They placed an order, saying it was expected in about three days. A week later, I enquired. Now the radiator is on back order. I took my CTS V home so that it won't be left out in the snow. Waiting about three weeks, so far.

99GTX
12-15-05, 09:28 AM
I'm getting my radiator replaced on Monday. James @ Lindsay had ordered one for their stock and it's now reserved for me. He's ordering another one so they can have one in stock. Those local peeps in need might want to contact him to see what he can do for ya.

ewill3rd
12-15-05, 10:23 AM
I got my wrenches all warmed up! :D
We are going to try to keep at least one in stock I think.
Most parts inventory in GM shops is computer controlled. If you order 3 of one thing in a short period of time the computer will automatically request, or add it to stock.
At least that's what I was told.
The real problem right now is parts availability.

veloce
12-15-05, 10:59 AM
Well,I just got my car back and a new radiator is on back order! Luckily mine is a slow leak so far. Thus, I just had them top it off so I can drive it untill the new one arrives.I am so tired of all the manufactures putting in these junk plastic tank radiators ,in all cars. They just don't last. How much more can it cost to build a good one. Not much.Its time they all fixed this problem at least on high end and sports cars. Jeff

crispyrx7
12-15-05, 11:45 AM
So does anyone sell an aftermaket all "performance" Aluminum radiator?
Seems like this would address the issues. (shrug)

Crispy

99GTX
12-15-05, 01:09 PM
My understanding is that the revised radiator fixes the problem. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not gonna shell out some $$$ when I can get the new radiator for free under warranty.

bjohnso0
12-16-05, 11:47 AM
I checked with a local place in Lancaster (CA) and they will build me an all aluminum one with a 1 inch core for about $350-$400. If my dealer doesn't come through today, I'm taking it to them. Money well spent. :banghead:

joshdctsv
12-16-05, 06:03 PM
Dealer told me they replaced mine with the new unit, but when I got home I looked up the part number and saw they gave me the old one. I, too, am now on the waiting list.

bjohnso0
12-20-05, 11:59 PM
RADIATOR ARRIVED TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After 3 weeks I finally get my car back tommorrow!!

V-Sting
12-21-05, 12:07 AM
can you post the name of the shop that offered to make a custom Al radiator?

veloce
12-21-05, 11:18 AM
Just got a call from the dealer and my radiator is in,which I hope to have installed on friday. As long as I am under warrenty they can pay . After that then I will go to an all alum. as I have had to do in other cars. Jeff

bjohnso0
12-21-05, 12:26 PM
can you post the name of the shop that offered to make a custom Al radiator?

There are two shops that would do it for me, one is Cal West Radiator in Valencia, CA- 1-800-535-2034
I have never dealt with them befor though.

The other is The Radiator Shop in Lancaster, CA (661)723-8037, I higly recommend them. Call and talk to Leonard, tell him that Brian from Kelley Fleet Services told you to get in touch with them. They will need dimensions for the core.

bjohnso0
12-21-05, 04:30 PM
I just spoke to Ron Davis Radiators, they said 4 weeks to build the radiator and cost would be $769.00 plus shipping. You can check them out at www.rondavisradiators.com (http://www.rondavisradiators.com) or call them at (623)877-5000

roadracerx72
12-21-05, 04:39 PM
I take it your car is still in Los Angeles??
Rock