: Airride Technologies

jahngga
12-13-05, 07:57 PM
Anyone here familiar with their setup for Escalades? My friend who runs a automotive shop down here in Hawaii quoted me around $3500 installed for mines. Gonna meet with him Saturday and go more into details about it. I currently have 24's with a 2/3 drop but I'm still not content with the small gap that's still there. It's minimal, but it's still noticable for me. Anyways, here's a few pics. Opinions / recommendations welcome..
http://photobucket.com/albums/y71/jhip/th_37b28831.jpg (http://photobucket.com/albums/y71/jhip/?action=view&current=37b28831.jpg)http://photobucket.com/albums/y71/jhip/th_SIDE.jpg (http://photobucket.com/albums/y71/jhip/?action=view&current=SIDE.jpg)http://photobucket.com/albums/y71/jhip/th_DSC00170.jpg (http://photobucket.com/albums/y71/jhip/?action=view&current=DSC00170.jpg)

jahngga
12-14-05, 02:13 AM
damn, anyone?

Synergetic
12-14-05, 02:45 AM
Maybe lower it more?? I wouldn't throw airride on just to have a cleaner lower truck. I ride about an inch from tire to wheel well fenders, thats with my airbags. Airbags can be a pain in the anal cavity sometimes and will always be taking a large chunk of change out of your pocket, especially if its your daily driver. Basically - a lot of maitenance is involved.

Good luck...

By the way, very nice looking truck!!!

cadnathan
12-14-05, 03:48 AM
I agree with the above, not to mention your ride quality is going to suffer greatly. Take the amount your ride suffered when you lowered it and put the 24's on and times it by two and you get the ride with bags, esp on a bigger truck.

I had 3 different set-ups with my Tahoe and it never got better, just about the same every time I changed it. I know everyone with bags thinks their ride "is better than stock," but I can assure you it is not. My advice would be to ditch the bags idea altogether.

jahngga
12-14-05, 12:20 PM
thanks for the input! i was gonna switch to a 3/5 drop but i assumed it would give me problems down the line since the 2/3 drop rides kinda crappy already:helpless: . synergetic, what do you mean about "always taking a chunk out of my pocket?". what kind of maintenance is involved?

jahngga
12-14-05, 12:21 PM
I agree with the above, not to mention your ride quality is going to suffer greatly. Take the amount your ride suffered when you lowered it and put the 24's on and times it by two and you get the ride with bags, esp on a bigger truck.

I had 3 different set-ups with my Tahoe and it never got better, just about the same every time I changed it. I know everyone with bags thinks their ride "is better than stock," but I can assure you it is not. My advice would be to ditch the bags idea altogether.

did you bag your tahoe? what kind of setups did you have?

ILLNALI
12-14-05, 02:42 PM
from what I understood ART does not make a kit for our trucks. At least the front setup. The rear is basically the same as any GM P/U. Air ride can be a great thing if it is installed properly and you use a lot of the necessary equipment to ensure a comfortable ride. You can't just slap in a B.S. AIM kit and expect it to ride as smooth as stock. I have had many vehicles bagged and canned. It you spend some time to tweak them out to your specific vehicles and needs. You will find that air ride is great and can truly provide a "better than stock ride." IMHO I can not see a 3/5 drop riding smoother than bags. 3/5 seems very floaty and slappy ride due to the poor geometry that you will be causing by slamming the truck so far.

jahngga
12-14-05, 04:13 PM
Illnali, I actually didn't want to go with a 3/5 drop. Just weighing my options. Since my whip is a 2wd, I believe that there is front and rear setup for mines. The model is called "shockwave". I know that I won't achieve the stock feel but with the airbags, I just wanted to lower the ride when parked (low enough where my hand can't slide inside) & raise it for normal driving conditions. Would this setup feel better than my 2/3 drop though?

Synergetic
12-14-05, 04:18 PM
Well, like ive said in other posts, I have the first airbagged AWD full size SUV ever. If you look under my truck, you will probably sh*t when you've seen how clean and smart the whole set up is. They left the AWD which is hard to believe, ABS, and much more. A lot of fabrication was involved, including cutting a large peice of the chassis. Because of all this, my Escalade will never drive like an Escalade suppose to drive. Not to mention a lot of rocking since your sitting on air. You rock back and forth on the freeway if the back is not at a perfect height. You won't want to go over 60-70ish too. Along with the crappy ride, a lot of maitenance comes. Thats when you'll need a lot of money, even after you've spent the money to have the bags installed. You'll see that your ball joints will start going out, its hard on the brakes and hard on pretty much everything because you have to imagine that the car wasn't built to be jumping to different levels/heights so a lot of parts will come loose or out of their fittings. Because of the bags, ive had a few ABS lines snap on my brakes, we finally added a larger slack to the line. Just keep aware a lot of parts will brake, not to mention you'll be replacing those bags periodically which is around $500 for the bags and installation, if you can't do it yourself. Your air compressors will go out every once in awhile. They'll (compressors) also go out in the rain because it sucks in the water; sometimes it drys up and sometimes its just straight up fried. You'll have airlines that will come out of place just from all the rocking and movement.

To debate with ILLNALI, in my opinion, a 3/5 drop would ride smoother and save you a lot more money. Just keep it slammed unless your thinking about showing the truck, then bag that machine.

Synergetic
12-14-05, 04:26 PM
Illnali, I actually didn't want to go with a 3/5 drop. Just weighing my options. Since my whip is a 2wd, I believe that there is front and rear setup for mines. The model is called "shockwave". I know that I won't achieve the stock feel but with the airbags, I just wanted to lower the ride when parked (low enough where my hand can't slide inside) & raise it for normal driving conditions. Would this setup feel better than my 2/3 drop though?

That switch box also won't give you a precise level. For example, if you hit the switch to lift both fronts, one side may go up an inch higher than the other. In that case, you'll have to jump out of the truck and check the height to make sure its even before you drive. Otherwise, you're going to go through a lottt of 24" tires!!! Ive gone through a lot, especially in the front. If the front is too high, the tires will wear on the side and crack the rubber open to the point where you're seeing the white metal underneath. However, the rest of the tire has about 90% rubber left. That sucks the most!!

Synergetic
12-14-05, 04:29 PM
Not to mention, airbags eat up your battery. You'll need to have to compressor switch turned on everytime you get in the truck and it needs to be turned off everytime you get out. If you forget and leave it on with the alternator not active, you're going to kill the sh*t out of your battery and you'll be getting jumped before that thing moves anywhere. It can't be towed either. Towing companies do not two airbagged vehicles, atleast up here in California they don't!!

jahngga
12-14-05, 04:36 PM
Synergetic, wow - I see what you mean about a lot of maintenance & money involved. I guess it isn't worth it for the long haul. I called Mcgaughy's tech and they didn't advise the 3/5 drop with 24's:bomb: . So, I guess I'm at point A again. Also, Airride is supposedly all bolt-on parts (no cutting involved). You still think I'll end up with the same problems you're having?

ItsAdam1
12-14-05, 04:45 PM
I have the 3/5 drop, and I think that it rides ok, nothing like stock but pretty good. I have also heard don right the bag set-up will ride better than a static drop. I think synergetic has alot of problems with his set-up b/c he still has his AWD still installed. but that just my guess go the GM forums that have a lot more information over there.
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/ check out the street section

jahngga
12-14-05, 04:56 PM
I have the 3/5 drop, and I think that it rides ok, nothing like stock but pretty good. I have also heard don right the bag set-up will ride better than a static drop. I think synergetic has alot of problems with his set-up b/c he still has his AWD still installed. but that just my guess go the GM forums that have a lot more information over there.

Adam, what rim size do you have? What problems have you experienced, if any? Also, didn't you have a 2/3 before?

Synergetic
12-14-05, 08:04 PM

I agree with ItsAdam about the 3/5 drop. My truck was not built to be driven daily. You'll have a lot of problems if you use your Escalade daily. But my truck doesn't have problems, its good as new!! Because she sits in the garage. :thumbsup:

jahngga
12-14-05, 08:32 PM
I agree with ItsAdam about the 3/5 drop. My truck was not built to be driven daily. You'll have a lot of problems if you use your Escalade daily. But my truck doesn't have problems, its good as new!! Because she sits in the garage. :thumbsup:

I don't drive mines daily either. Mostly weekends, but I surely don't want all these parts breaking down on me. You know of any people that have had these problems as well?

jahngga
12-14-05, 09:45 PM
Just called my Caddi dealer about warranty issues. He advised not to airbag my Lac as it would void my warranty. I asked him if it would void just the suspension warranty or the the entire thing but he wasn't sure. He just said to not do it. Oh well, so much for options.:(

ItsAdam1
12-15-05, 12:29 AM
I never had the 2/3 just 3/5. One problem I had was that it would sway side to side alot. But I got rid of that when I got my new tires. I am runngin 22x9's with 285-40-22's There is some one on the GM forums that has a tahoe with 24's and the DJM 3/5 drop. Looks good, but I don't know how it rides tho.

ILLNALI
12-15-05, 01:15 AM
Synergetic - Do not get it twisted I respect your opinion, and input more than most members on this board. Maybe I want to bag my truck so bad that I do not want to listen to reason...Honestly I always thought your truck was slammed not bagged. I would love to see some pics of your setup and the actual suspension components, and what had to be done to retain the AWD.
However I think that some of you problems that you had or are having are just some small tweaks, that can drastically improve your ride quality and overall thoughts about air suspension

1 - good quality compressors - 100% duty cycle viaair and air zenith
2 - check valves on the tank, less air escapes...also less pressure for the compressors to fight to fill = less overall work for the compressors and more longevity or compressor life and air in the tank
3 - run only brass or nickel plated compression fittings - push-ins are trash and leak
4 - run steel braided air lines - stronger to the elements, and less changes in pressure, when you are in different climates
5 - use a moderate sized tank
6 - ditch the hydraulics switch box, or PS controller.. and get a digital gauge and switches from Air Ride Tech. You will be able "feather" the switch to and quickly learn the perfect sweet spot for the vehicle everytime you drive your truck.
7 - Most important you also need some good valves no bigger than 1/2"
8 - flow controls and speed control mufflers - to regulate the speed that you raise and lower the truck. This will drastically improve how smooth it operates. No more abrubt popping, banging, or sudden movements.

Also if you are really picky you can run only a front and back setup instead of 4 corners you will have less camber and tire wear issues, if you have the exact same size air line for the splitter, they will always go up evenly.

Until I learned some of the tricks I too felt bitter about air suspension. Now I think it is great and want to bag any vehicle I get my hands on. I am even trying to figure a way to bag my M3. :bonkers:

Swaying issues should be solved after you find the perfect sweet spot and front and rear sway bars.

Ball joints wearing out is gonna definatley going to happen on bags or a 3/5 drop, I think mine are starting to wear on my Mcgaughy's 2/3 already.

I would love to hear from ONBAGZ? on this matter....

customizer
12-15-05, 02:07 AM
Wow i am DISGUSTED to hear the story Synergetic talked about. Ive bagged Two AWD trucks and they have never had anything near a complaint. I dont know when you had your 2002 done or who did it, but i can show you pics of the set-ups ive done. The most recent was a 2005 Escalade EXT on 26's that I bagged and left the AWD in place b/c its not possible to take it out, and it rides better than it did with the stock suspension. Both the customer and I have driven it and driven it hard. Weve put the air suspension to the test at shows and has not had ONE complaint. Not one broken line, not one ripped abs sensor and not one leak. With the set-up I did you can drive the truck at stock height and get a nice firm ride, or lower it to a nice 3 inch drop all around and ride nice and comfortable, and for parking lot cruising drive it totally aired out without any rubbing on 26's(of course no hard turns). The main reason for AIR is to get the nice ride. NOT ROCKING like you complain about. All the kits I install come with digital pressure monitors so you dont have to jump out of the car and see the height your at you look at the gauge and lift or drop accordingly. No kit should break and any parts or blow any bags. I cant believe you would even think that is normal!!! Water getting sucked into compressors??? any good compressor will come with a filter that can be remotely mounted in a COOL DRY AREA. It just has to be installed the right way. The only maintenance ever necessary with a properly engineered set-up should be draining the water seperators and greasing any fittings for ball joints and tie rods. Its ludicrous that you cant drive the truck any way you couldnt have driven it stock. If you wanna drive over 75 mph why shouldnt you. My customers have driven way faster than that and Ive seen them driving them on the way to shows. Each and every wire and hose should be fixed in place so they dont come loose. I think you had a horrible installation done. If done right the job will last a very long time and work perfectly. Almost every customer of mine uses the cars for everyday use. They want it done right and get it done right. If anyone wants to ask questions Please do b/c this is not the reputation air suspension should get. Ill stick up for it as much as i can.

ILLNALI
12-15-05, 02:31 AM
wow those are sexy? where is your shop? any closeups of the actual suspension components?

customizer
12-15-05, 02:39 AM
I was working at a shop In Queens NY for 3 years. Im getting out of the mechanic end of it and doing some other work. Ill be doing custom work for a friend at his shop in Brooklyn. I have pics of a denali on 26's that I did as well, but the dimensions of the pic are too big. not sure what to do to get it to work. they want 800x600 mine is 1024x768. here are some pics i took while working on it. Im going to be bagging another one on 24's in the next 2 weeks so i can get more pics of that one. Its also a black Ext with the same rims, just smaller. After searching for Synergetic's pics I realize that they used DJM upper and lower control arms. Thats why he complains about ruining tires. They arent designed to be used at stock ride height. The length of the arms are shorter so they introduce way too much Positive camber when hes aired up. You can see it in his pic, and it wears the outside of the tire like crazy. DJM arms are designed for a static drop of 2 or 3 inches and at that height it will maintain factory camber specs. This crazy positive camber doesnt happen with my set-up. I change the length of the upper control arm to maintain factory alignment specs when the truck is at ride height. 26's are more expensive than 24's.

Synergetic
12-15-05, 03:08 AM
Wow i am DISGUSTED to hear the story Synergetic talked about. Ive bagged Two AWD trucks and they have never had anything near a complaint. I dont know when you had your 2002 done or who did it, but i can show you pics of the set-ups ive done. The most recent was a 2005 Escalade EXT on 26's that I bagged and left the AWD in place b/c its not possible to take it out, and it rides better than it did with the stock suspension. Both the customer and I have driven it and driven it hard. Weve put the air suspension to the test at shows and has not had ONE complaint. Not one broken line, not one ripped abs sensor and not one leak. With the set-up I did you can drive the truck at stock height and get a nice firm ride, or lower it to a nice 3 inch drop all around and ride nice and comfortable, and for parking lot cruising drive it totally aired out without any rubbing on 26's(of course no hard turns). The main reason for AIR is to get the nice ride. NOT ROCKING like you complain about. All the kits I install come with digital pressure monitors so you dont have to jump out of the car and see the height your at you look at the gauge and lift or drop accordingly. No kit should break and any parts or blow any bags. I cant believe you would even think that is normal!!! Water getting sucked into compressors??? any good compressor will come with a filter that can be remotely mounted in a COOL DRY AREA. It just has to be installed the right way. The only maintenance ever necessary with a properly engineered set-up should be draining the water seperators and greasing any fittings for ball joints and tie rods. Its ludicrous that you cant drive the truck any way you couldnt have driven it stock. If you wanna drive over 75 mph why shouldnt you. My customers have driven way faster than that and Ive seen them driving them on the way to shows. Each and every wire and hose should be fixed in place so they dont come loose. I think you had a horrible installation done. If done right the job will last a very long time and work perfectly. Almost every customer of mine uses the cars for everyday use. They want it done right and get it done right. If anyone wants to ask questions Please do b/c this is not the reputation air suspension should get. Ill stick up for it as much as i can.

:lies:

Glad to hear your input. However, you make an impression that airride is an advantage to people and creates a better ride, when that is false. I laugh when I hear you say that a compressor cannot be burned out by water just because of a small filter. I just had mine burnout less than a month ago from small puddles on the road!

If your customers are driving at those speeds, I honestly wish them the best. Thats one dangerous thing to do, if one of those bags blow at that speed and the entire vehicle drops, they're f*cked with no control!! :halo: Thats going to be one ugly mess to clean up. If you're trying to give airride a solid reputation, don't provide false information that its safe to drive at those speeds on airbags. I'll also mention that 'rocking' can be caused by your allignment as well.

You can debate that my installation was done all wrong, but it was done at FBI (Fender Bender Intl.) who offers mainly airride products and targets the show scene specifically. Since my magazine has about 13 magazine features (including a 5 page feature in Truckin), broadcast coverage, and more... thats only proof something has to be done right on my Escalade. :bigroll:

I was providing honest input on airride technology. Anyone who listens to input like that should believe that Arizona borders the Atlantic Ocean. And anyone who is rollin on switches will know the hassle that is involved with airbags. Don't fool a forum who majority of the viewers are typical Escalade owners who are looking for an exotic ride. With that said, I think you're an idiot.

Have a wonderful day!

Synergetic
12-15-05, 03:15 AM
I was working at a shop In Queens NY for 3 years. Im getting out of the mechanic end of it and doing some other work. Ill be doing custom work for a friend at his shop in Brooklyn. I have pics of a denali on 26's that I did as well, but the dimensions of the pic are too big. not sure what to do to get it to work. they want 800x600 mine is 1024x768. here are some pics i took while working on it. Im going to be bagging another one on 24's in the next 2 weeks so i can get more pics of that one. Its also a black Ext with the same rims, just smaller. After searching for Synergetic's pics I realize that they used DJM upper and lower control arms. Thats why he complains about ruining tires. They arent designed to be used at stock ride height. The length of the arms are shorter so they introduce way too much Positive camber when hes aired up. You can see it in his pic, and it wears the outside of the tire like crazy. DJM arms are designed for a static drop of 2 or 3 inches and at that height it will maintain factory camber specs. This crazy positive camber doesnt happen with my set-up. I change the length of the upper control arm to maintain factory alignment specs when the truck is at ride height. 26's are more expensive than 24's.

Responding to moron quote #2... :bigroll:
With the DJM arms and riding at 2" inches above tires, you'll have even wear on the tires. Ive replaced specific tire(s) from uneven wear which is a COMMON thing with airbags. Not to mention, i'm replacing all FOUR Kumho's this weekend with FOUR brand new Kumho's, which all have even wear with the DJM arms still on my truck.

Synergetic
12-15-05, 03:31 AM
This is for you babi boy... straight out of Chrome & Flames. Keep on telling me they did a horrible job on my set up. In my opinion, my ride is clownin on every picture you have posted on here so far. Let me know when you step up from the toddlers playground to big boys playground.

Just HATIN on the HATERS.

http://www.synergeticstudios.com/misc/escalade/mag2.jpg

customizer
12-15-05, 03:36 AM
If airride was not meant to increase the performance or handling of a vehicle then why are the PRAXIS air systems designed for race vehicles? http://www.praxissystems.com/installation/faq.html
AIR RIDE TECHNOLOGIES has race days where they test air ride equipped cars at the track against the same car without air ride. Check their results out if anyone wants to read.
http://chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/148_0501_air/
Just bc your truck was in a Magazine it was done right? you think that and im the idiot haha yea. who sees whats underneath the truck in the magazine? Your input is biased b/c you got jerked. Plain and simple. Air bags dont blow when installed correctly. They are on tractor trailors that spend millions of miles on the road and they arent reliable? They have to be installed correctly to work correctly. Whether your traveling at 5 mph or 98 mph, the only reason they will blow is that they are being pushed passed their weight capacity, or they are rubbing on something. In your case, they are installed on the upper control arm and are subject to extreme loads. With your installation and if you had a pressure gauge you need about 175 psi to get your truck to ride height. When the suspension compresses the bag is compressed and the pressure rises until something blows. SOUND FAMILIAR? When I install them i only need about 75 psi to get to ride height. Theres no way that bag is gonna blow. Just for safety purposes I also use a contitech 4ply bag which has one of the highest burst pressures.
thomas compressors such #1. but just just to educate you, most viair compressors (450,460,380,480) are intended to be mounted outside the vehicle. They include 6 feet of air hose and a filter that you mount inside the vehicle if necessary so unless u have water inside your car, no water gets inside the compressor. IS that how your thomas is installed? OH yea.. FBI did it so i guess its correct. Then why did it blow?? oh yea. it was the first AWD SUV EVER to be bagged.. guess thats all that matters...

customizer
12-15-05, 03:41 AM
WOw you sure like to spend money. You ever heard of an alignment? Besides. Those cars arent even mine. I just like to work on them. To me its all a waste of money. I drive a 94 altima. stock.

Synergetic
12-15-05, 03:48 AM
WOw you sure like to spend money. You ever heard of an alignment? Besides. Those cars arent even mine. I just like to work on them. To me its all a waste of money.

Nope man, whats an allignment? Oh, that thing I have done every 3-6 weeks!! Don't hate because your not on top. Also, theres a difference between the set up with airbags on show vehicles and the set up on 18 wheeling daily driven trucks. Waste of time going into detail on something no one on this forum understands, but i'm sure your used to doing that.

Synergetic
12-15-05, 03:53 AM
I drive a 94 altima.

Since that mean machine is AWD with bags, you should inform us how well it drives everyday. You probably set it up yourself, right miracle man? :thumbsup:

customizer
12-15-05, 03:55 AM
So you like wasting money on alignments every 3-6 weeks as well?

Not hating my boy. Your truck is gorgeous. Im sure you enjoy it when its working properly. If i had that many problems with it id be pissed too, u dont have to take it out on me. But as long as you are on top im sure that justifies all the effort. AS long as you are happy. Thats what this game is about. You do it for yourself. Not for anyone else.

customizer
12-15-05, 03:56 AM
No its actually stock. I dont have the money to hook it up. im broke.

Synergetic
12-15-05, 04:03 AM
So you like wasting money on alignments every 3-6 weeks as well?

Not hating my boy. Your truck is gorgeous. Im sure you enjoy it when its working properly. If i had that many problems with it id be pissed too, u dont have to take it out on me. But as long as you are on top im sure that justifies all the effort. AS long as you are happy. Thats what this game is about. You do it for yourself. Not for anyone else.

Nope, I can't remember the last time I had a problem with my bags. Unless you want to inform these forums that compressors are super tough and don't ever fry, if so then I have a shitload of problems with my truck.

If $45 for an allignment every 3-6 is wasting money to keep your truck in good condition, then you must actually be broke brotha. Oh well, I guess good things come to good people, not haters.

caddy04
12-15-05, 09:24 AM
ItsAdam1

Hey man who installed your billet grille and drop your truck.

Synergetic, your truck looks nice, awsome. Did you replace the emblem on the grill. I noticed that every trens grills tha cadillac logo is chrome.

Thanks

ItsAdam1
12-15-05, 10:31 AM
Hey Caddy04 I did

Customizer: If an air bag install is done right it. Can be a good reliable system. Will it be more to deal with than a stock set-up yes. Even a 2/3 or 3/5 you give up a little for the look. There are just way to many bagged cars & trucks on the road now days. Allot of them operate w/o problems and some do. It just comes with the cost to play !:cool2:

On the bag systems you built what did you do for the control arms? Also can you e-mail me those other pics?

customizer
12-15-05, 12:20 PM
Those are actually the only pics i still have. On the AWD ones ive done, I have left the lower control arm in place and then use a DJM upper control arm that allows you to maintain the factory Camber specs. DJM lowers are shorter than stock and when used together with their upper don't allow proper camber adjustments at STOCK ride heights. AS far as maintenance goes, it all depends on how complex the system is, but for most systems with electric compressors, all that is necessary is to drain a water seperator or drain a valve on the bottom of the tank. The control arms also have grease fittings that should be greased during oil changes. Thats honestly all that needs to be maintained. Ive bagged about 40 cars, and when you say that some have problems and some don't you are ABSOLUTELY correct. It all depends on how well the system is designed around your needs and budget. If you want a system to have a long PLAY time you need excess air storage and the compressor capacity to keep those tanks full, so you do not overwork the compressor and the electrical system of the vehicle. Same goes with air pressures and bag selection. The kits do have to be engineered properly. That is what you pay for with the AIR RIDE TECH and PRAXIS kits. You are paying for engineering. WHen someone builds a custom kit, such as necessary on the GM trucks, you are relying on their expertise to build a kit that will work properly on your truck, for you. When you overwork the system that you have, you increase the chances for malfunctions. Its not different than any other part of your car. You can take 2 trucks with essentially the same parts on both, but if installed by two different shops can give very different outcomes. How they are wired up, the quality of the welds, how the shocks have been installed, and even how the bags are placed makes minor as well as major changes in the handling. ride, and reliability of the kit. Ive seen it and Im sure others have as well.

customizer
12-15-05, 12:29 PM
Has anyone checked the AIR RIDE TECH article I linked here?
http://chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/148_0501_air/

It says alot. Sure its on their website, but you can find documentation supporting these facts in alot of other places as well. Just take a few minutes and read the article and anyone who has any questions can come to their own conclusions. It not fun to get on here and argue. I just want to share any info and experiences that I have, both good and bad. dean

jahngga
12-15-05, 01:50 PM
Customizer, What airbag brand(s) do you install with? I was considering going with AIRRIDE TECHNOLOGIES for my 2wd. What's your opinion on this brand using the SHOCKWAVE model? Thanks!

ILLNALI
12-15-05, 02:01 PM
While I have never bagged an AWD truck. I have bagged 5-6 cars of my own, and have to agree with Cartooner. If done properly Airbags are the best thing ever.

Synergetic - I think you are bitter that your install was not done right. Thus resulting in it riding like crap. FBI, Chassis Tech, and AIM all suck ass IMO. They are just slap together kits with no R&D to insure proper fit and ride quality. Also you are are truly throwing money out the door with alignment every 3-6 weeks. even 5 minutes after your alignment is done as soon as you hit a switch you knock your alignment out again! I understand your point that there are a lot of members that are going into this blind and just want something unique...Airride is not for you!!
The fact that your truck got into mags and media does not mean that you have a good bag setup, It just means that the editors of the mag liked the overall look of your truck. It is very eye catchy. Or also some of your sponsors got some juice with the mags to help promote their product. Your truck is hot and definatly magazine worthy, but can assure you, it did not make it in b/c you bags setup was done properly. While Truckin' is one of my favorite mags, they put a lot of trucks in there that I would debate.

If you put together a good setup there really should be no restrictions of speed or anything. I used to drive my Acura TL on Air Ride 120 mph with no shaking, rocking, or any stability issues, and I can truly tell you that it rode a lot smoother than stock. I just pulled the setup out and put in Comptech springs and KYB's and was upset to find that it did not ride nearly as smooth as the cans..

Cartooner - pm or email me some info/price/time on an install for my AWD Denali....I only need the actual custom suspension components. I will have everything else already installed, and wired. So let me know.

Synergetic
12-15-05, 06:21 PM
Synergetic - I think you are bitter that your install was not done right. Thus resulting in it riding like crap. FBI, Chassis Tech, and AIM all suck ass IMO. They are just slap together kits with no R&D to insure proper fit and ride quality. Also you are are truly throwing money out the door with alignment every 3-6 weeks. even 5 minutes after your alignment is done as soon as you hit a switch you knock your alignment out again! I understand your point that there are a lot of members that are going into this blind and just want something unique...Airride is not for you!!
The fact that your truck got into mags and media does not mean that you have a good bag setup, It just means that the editors of the mag liked the overall look of your truck. It is very eye catchy. Or also some of your sponsors got some juice with the mags to help promote their product. Your truck is hot and definatly magazine worthy, but can assure you, it did not make it in b/c you bags setup was done properly. While Truckin' is one of my favorite mags, they put a lot of trucks in there that I would debate.

If you put together a good setup there really should be no restrictions of speed or anything. I used to drive my Acura TL on Air Ride 120 mph with no shaking, rocking, or any stability issues, and I can truly tell you that it rode a lot smoother than stock. I just pulled the setup out and put in Comptech springs and KYB's and was upset to find that it did not ride nearly as smooth as the cans..
Its funny that this topic has come off to giving honest input to the topic starter and turning around to a totally false course of words, with my truck not having a proper install. I have plenty more projects in the near future and by giving my honest input on bags, I wasn't ragging on my truck. I don't understand where you got the idea that my custom set up was not done correctly. In fact, without you looking at the truck, you ultimately have no idea what was done properly and what wasn't. Therefore, that gives you no right to publicly announce false information. I'm laughing at what you say because you post unnecessary and false information and play it off like you know whats up. I suggest you read more thoroughly at the posts. Its apparent you didn't, since his forum username is Customizer and not Cartooner. :cookoo:

Best wishes, hope your install goes well on your Denali!!

By the way, i'm no man to continue to have kiddish arguments with people I do not know, with all due respect to customizer. Concluding that, I don't believe its necessary and very intelligent to debate over a topic that involves information we both are not fully knowledged on. For example, I have no proof of Customizers experience, except for his verbal knowledge on airride technology. From what he has posted, you seem to do good work and I give you props on that Customizer.

customizer
12-15-05, 06:24 PM
If I am going to design a general kit for a customer, I use contitech bags, ODE valves, Viair or Air Zenith compressors, Dakota digital sensors and displays and AVS switchboxes. When it comes to brackets and hardware I basically use the best parts available for the appilcation. Ive bagged anything from Dodge Caravans, to Toyota camrys. When you deal with different cars each day it not always possible to find parts made my air lift, air ride technologies or suicide doors.com. I will say that Ive use AIM parts on some applications and when I feel they are not up to my standard' I ditch them or modify them until I am happy.
As far as the parts made my AIR RIDE TECH. They have nice products, but are made for easy installation and general use. You can make any of their products work for a particular application, but your wallet has to be able to handle it. Their shockwave is just that. Its expensive and its easy to install. It wont get you the lift that you would expect though. I know when you mount them in trucks that had a coil spring and shock such as an S10, you lost alot of travel as compared to a bag and cup set-up.
Either way, If im correct your 2wd will still have the front torsion bars. In my opinion I would use a upper and lower plate. Thats what i did with the Green suburban. If you go with a DJM lower you can weld the lower plate to that arm and the upper plate to the frame and mount the bag there. Here is a few pics of both types of install.

dubb Motorsports
12-16-05, 07:51 PM
All I can say is WOW....... I couldn't even read all this. But I would like to say a few things.
I have installed air ride for a couple years, and will be bagging a AWD escalade this winter. I already bagged the rear with ARTs F9100s. I will be bagging the front with shockwaves. Some may have seen the truck before.
I disagree much with the statement "air ride makes it ride bad", or anything like that. this is a big IF..... it is installed rigth it will ride right, and you can go over 70 without a problem. The lightning on my website was bagged in 2002 and hasbeen to the trck a couple times sense than without a problem. We will be taking this escalade to the trck as well. It has gone 13.50's so far, and with the new motor and power adder it should be near low 12's. I will post links up when I get the truck into the shop, and try to keep people updated. for now just check out the site.
Please contact the owner of the site if you would like to advertise here, that is why your web site link was removed, thank you hcvone

customizer
12-17-05, 12:41 AM
Im starting my next EXT on monday. Ill take some more pics as I go this time. Ill start a new Thread when I get started.

Ryusou
12-19-05, 08:52 AM
Hey Jahhnga

Nice to know there is another Hawaii person on here. I just noticed your post and the location. Know anybody else here from Hawaii?

jahngga
12-19-05, 09:50 PM
Ryu, There was another cat in here but he hasn't posted lately. You did any mods to your ESV?

Ryusou
12-21-05, 09:59 AM
Ryu, There was another cat in here but he hasn't posted lately. You did any mods to your ESV?

Nothing major, just did a 2/3 drop and about to ger Borlas and Volant intake.
I too considering about getting mines bagged but its a daily driver and I dealt with hydraulics before even though they are totally different from air suspension but im just thinking about the maintenance part and HPD and recon part:helpless:.

Know any cadi clubs here? I was just thinking if we could get all the cadi owners together or something. I would want to see a convoy of cadis. I never seen it before.

jahngga
12-21-05, 09:44 PM
Nothing major, just did a 2/3 drop and about to ger Borlas and Volant intake.
I too considering about getting mines bagged but its a daily driver and I dealt with hydraulics before even though they are totally different from air suspension but im just thinking about the maintenance part and HPD and recon part:helpless:.

Know any cadi clubs here? I was just thinking if we could get all the cadi owners together or something. I would want to see a convoy of cadis. I never seen it before.

I inquired with Pflueger Cadillac and they said that they'll void my warranty completely if I bag it. I kissed that option goodbye. I wish I knew of any Cadi clubs here too. Hit me up email (optionz808@aol.com)

Ryusou
12-26-05, 09:19 AM
I inquired with Pflueger Cadillac and they said that they'll void my warranty completely if I bag it. I kissed that option goodbye. I wish I knew of any Cadi clubs here too. Hit me up email (optionz808@aol.com)

hmm I wonder if they really can void your warranty...I remember there was this law or something that the dealers or something cannot void warranty unless they can prove that whatever you did to your vehicle is what caused the problem. In this case, the dealer is already voiding or denying your warranty just because you will bag it but for what reason...nothings broken.
:confused:
I havent seen or know any clubs too. Maybe one should be made...

Synergetic
12-26-05, 12:42 PM
hmm I wonder if they really can void your warranty...I remember there was this law or something that the dealers or something cannot void warranty unless they can prove that whatever you did to your vehicle is what caused the problem. In this case, the dealer is already voiding or denying your warranty just because you will bag it but for what reason...nothings broken.
:confused:
I havent seen or know any clubs too. Maybe one should be made...

I think its because you're messing with the suspension side of your vehicle, therefore you're effecting a large section of the vehicle. I'm sure if you really wanted, you could keep your warranty on other areas of the vehicle like the motor, interior, etc...

BLUEXTON4S
01-18-06, 05:19 PM
SYNERGETIC

Did u have the bag setup done to your truck or did you purchase the truck after it was done? I saw this truck on ebay a while back and wonder if you are the guy that bought it. Ive asked this before but got no answer.