: Help With Oil Cooler Problem ! ! !

mbl_rl
12-13-05, 06:27 PM
I have recently replaced my oil cooler on my 97 catera and when i went back to the mechanic he said i would also need to flush the cooling system a few more times to get all the oil out and i would have to by a new container for the coolant which i thought was ok cause the sensor that detacts low coolant had went bad he said because of all the oil in the coolant but the thing is after driving it nearly all day yesterday in my every day manner i drove it home from town and the car when i shutt it off was at normel temp. in the middle area and everything else was ok but there was smoke coming from under the hood the mec. said it was the old oil left in the coolant and it was burning out so it was ok it was smoking a little then i noticed it was low on coolant like it was before i had the oil cooler replaced so i added coolant he said the reason for that was the system had spots and air that was still trying to fill up from the flush, there is one more thing when i bought the car the oil cooler problem was there i knew that but i never did drive the car before so i dont know this but the question is. is it normal for the oil pressure to flucate from near the 10 lb area to the 80 ib area depending on if you are ideling or driving when the engine is at normal temp. i just noticed that i was sitting at the light and the car was at normal temp. and the oil pressure was down not in the red but pretty far down then i pulled away from the light and it went up is that normal so any input anyone has on my situatuion would be greatly thanked being a young cadillac owner i need all the help i can get

Cat-a-Tonic
12-13-05, 10:34 PM
Are you going to a GM garage? Some of his explanations seem off the mark. Did the smoke from under the hood smell sweet, as antifreeze would, or pungent, like rubber or oil burning. Any sign of oil or antifreeze dripping on your driveway where you park your car? Can't understand how the oil would 'burn' out of the coolant. The coolant boils at a lower temperature than oil. If they're mixed together they're both at the same temperature. Probably residual oil from the repair or when topping up the oil level. Anyway if there's no leakage out of the system, you probably haven't got anything to worry about. Just keep an eye on the coolant colour. When topping up the coolant , do it when engine's cold and do not fill past the middle of the reservour. It'll expand when hot and have to go out of the system to prevent overpressurizing the system. So it dumps it out through a relief valve built into the reservour cap. And having oil in the coolant isn't nearly as serious as having coolant in the oil. Let us know how you make out.

mbl_rl
12-14-05, 11:50 AM
the oil still is in the coolant tank but he said it would take a little while before all the oil would drain out of the coolant but when i parked the car was at normal temp. and everything was ok but there was just some smoke coming from under the hood i am noticing a lose in coolant but i think thats because the system is still filling the gaps from where it had been flushed but i know i am not loosing any oil they only thing that is wrong i ive noticed is the smoke that has only happend once the fluctuating oil pressure when the engine is warm. and the oil in the coolant still but he said that was normal till it was flushed agian by the way a cadillac dealer did not do the work should they have

Cat-a-Tonic
12-14-05, 12:24 PM
Well, I don't take my Cat to a Cadillac dealer either. It's just that the oil in the reservoir would have been easy to to remove when they drained the system. Now you've got old oil in the reservoir that'll mix with the coolant and make it hard to determine if the problem still exists. Although you're probably o.k. Like I said before some of his reasoning and explanations don't make sense. That would indicate to me that he may not be very attentive in his work. But I'm not trying to stir the pot or make you nervous about it. Just keep an eye on things.