: Snagged an Ipod Video...

Playdrv4me
12-13-05, 06:17 PM
Ok so I guess part of the allure was the fact that everyone and their dog where I am wants one and theyre all gone out of every store here. I really wanted the 30gb, since I missed out on a great deal on one of those literally in the hours between Friday night and Saturday morning and spent the entire weekend trying to track down another, but as I was returning a home theater system I bought (open box of course), the girl at the register was playing with a black 60GB one that had one of those Circuit City "OB" tags on the back of it.

So long story short I was like "uhh is that for sale?" she said yes and told me it was 349, which is 50.00 less than they are new, so I jumped all over it. I seem to always run into little deals like that at the weirdest times. I bought my current Ipod the same way LAST christmas, literally December 24th! It was sitting under the counter at best buy tucked all the way in the back, even though they were sold out of every other one they had. It was marked for 179 and the guy gave me another 30 bucks off when he rang it up.

So Ive been playing with it, very very neat. You can download entire shows to it from the Itunes service, or brew your own with quicktime. 60gb should be more space than ill ever possibly need.

slk230mb
12-13-05, 07:54 PM
I'm pretty sure that a 60 gig Ipod video is my surprise Christmas gift. If it is I can't wait.

Jesda
12-14-05, 02:36 AM
Does it allow you to convert DivX movies and TV shows?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-14-05, 02:39 AM
I wonder if it can play por........wait nevermind :D

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
12-14-05, 04:00 AM
I've got a 60Gb video iPod.
There is an Apple Store not far from the office so I went and picked one up.

The screen quality is great, the picture quality on a big screen TV is great (considering it's a composite cable).
And battery life is loads better.

The native file format is Quicktime, with the H.264 Codec for making real small files. Or, for the best quality, Mpeg4 at up to 2.5Mbps and 230,400 pixels.

Playdrv4me
12-14-05, 05:38 AM
Jesda... Im still finding out more about the video side of it. I should note that no, out of the box getting your *own* videos on the thing is not easy, but there is software that will allow you to do it.

Also, one of the negatives about it, especially for Apple fans, is that theyve switched over to an ENTIRELY USB 2.0 based architecture on these things. So essentially, if you liked the speed and versatility of Firewire and have only USB 1.0 ports, its going to be a long time transferring large amounts of files over. Interestingly, the USB 2.0 cable included with the kit (there is no Powerbrick) *does* work with the old Firewire Ipod and communicates via USB 2. Likewise, the Powerbrick and Firewire cable combo will power the new Ipod, but you cant connect it via 1394 because you get an error message saying Firewire is no longer supported.

If that doesnt show you Apple is diving headlong into the PC realm I dunno what does. I was frankly a little shocked when I read about it a couple of weeks ago because Apple was one of the companies that fathered the Firewire standard and has been key in keeping it updated. USB 2.0 is fast, but the coming Firewire 800 will be faster.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
12-14-05, 06:49 AM
Yeah I was annoyed it didn't work over firewire (as I have a Mac).

Yes I have a USB2.0 card, but here's the thing, USB2 is supposed to be 480Mbps, and firewire 400 is (you guessed it) 400Mbps.

In reality, my new USB2 iPod video takes twice as long to transfer files as my old firewire 3rd Gen iPod.

In short, USB blows.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
12-14-05, 06:50 AM
Firewire 800 has been present on Powermacs and top end Powerbooks for around a year.

I don't have it on my Mac, but my external drives are FW800 capable.

fast66
12-14-05, 06:56 AM
I just bought a white one for my sister, Online you can get them engraved

davesdeville
12-14-05, 07:00 AM
I hate those stupid trendy little things. There are better products (namely from Creative Labs) that are cheaper, but we can't keep the iPods on the shelves (I work at Circuit City.)

Playdrv4me
12-14-05, 08:01 AM
Ive had them ALL... ALL of them I tell you, from the Creative crap to the RCA to the latest abomination I owned for like a day which was the Olympus m:robe500. Man what a piece of shit that was, you literally had to have the little docking station with it WHEREVER you went because there was no other way to plug power into it. In the car that just wasnt happening. Also, it has a 3.5 inch screen and it doesnt play video??? Ridiculous. I picked it up Open Box basically brand new like this Ipod for 159.00 when new ones at CrapUSA are still selling for 398.00 and even as good a deal as it was I couldnt stand it.

Creative's new mini Jukeboxes are OK (the color one has an OLED display which is pretty spiffy), but they max out at 6 or 8gb, some small number, and I cant stand Creative's UI and Software bundle. The 20GB and up models (Zen) have a long bootup time that is annoying. The other thing of course that everyone seems to talk about is the accesory support for the Ipod, but in truth I have never purchased anything but a car charger for mine, not even a sleeve. But I will be getting a sleeve for this one because its black and it will show scratches galore in no time. Yay Nano black! So yea, Im an MP3 fiend and most every other one Ive used sucked. The only exception are the Archos ones, and they are too fat to carry comfortably.

I might still sell my 60GB to get a 30GB on the cheap after Christmas. Personally I dont need the extra 30gb and the 30GB model is so thin its insane.

Anyway... to update everyone. I just downloaded some pr0n to this thing. It was easy. I found some freeware called Videora Ipod Converter, converted the video, dropped it in my playlist and voila, done.

Its compatible with H.264 and MP4.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
12-14-05, 11:51 AM
Yeah I've had Samsung, Sony and Creative.

Frankly they're not up to the iPod in terms of ease of use for a start.

The recent Creative ones are close, but the'yre just complete knock-offs of iPods really. Same colours, same size screen, same menu system concept, and instead of a click wheel, and up/down/left/right buttons with select in the middle.

And the cost per GB is lower on iPod videos than the new Creative.
Creative claim longer battery life than Apple, but in my experience I find Apple honest about issues of battery life and the rest of the industry complete liars.

davesdeville
12-15-05, 05:20 AM
I only deal with dozens of these and the people who use them per day, but I'll take your word for it..

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
12-15-05, 05:54 AM
The greater the quantity sold, the greater the number of faulty ones out there.
It's like Northstars blowing gaskets or TH700R4 transmissions failing. People only count the ones that don't work, not the ones that do. Throw in people who do stupid things to the item (and don't read the manual) and those who for some bizarre reason want any product leader to fail and you have an inevitable situation.

davesdeville
12-15-05, 06:24 AM
In my experiances the only thing really superior about iPods is their trendiness and brand recognition. Their keep-it-simple styling is nice, although I think it trys too hard to be futuristic...

CL units are the best competition for the iPods, and yeah they come in similar colors. Like damn near every Mercedes ever is silver. Most of our Art & Science cars are shown in silver. Every Mercedes has a steering wheel and a gas and brake pedal, along with a shifter. So does every Cadillac. Is Cadillac a Mercedes knockoff then? No, because silver is a common color, and because those are the obvious, accepted ways of controlling the car.

I along with a couple other guys handle our defective products, and honestly not a lot of any MP3 players come back as defective. (Did notice a few M:Robes, though, since it's made by a camera maker, Olympus, and it trys to do TOO MANY things for its own good. So it doesn't surprise me that it's not a very good product.)

Jesda
12-15-05, 07:18 AM
For audio enthusiasts, its hard to beat Minidisc. Its even a good bang for the buck at $2 for a 1GB MD. iPod and CL internal amplifiers are halfass at best, but get the job done well enough on cheap headphones. If you try upgrading to Grados or anything high end, you'll find yourself needing an external amp.

The best reason for getting an iPod or any Apple product is total integration. Apple promotes a 'digital lifestyle' where all devices seamlessly convene at the home computer. There's less fiddling, less goofing around, and more enjoyment.

http://www.head-fi.org/