: Just ordered RT high flow cats

Ross Racing
12-12-05, 09:03 PM
For a couple reasons I decided not to go with headers so I got the direct replacement cats. Hopefully they add a nice tone to the car and bolt right up to my B&B x pipe.
For those who have used them did you notice any power improvements?

Next week I am shipping my computer off to StealthV for calibration of my cats, exhaust, and More intake. I can't wait

Dave

GT04CTS-V
12-12-05, 09:12 PM
Two V's dynoed on the same dyno and same day - 30 minutes apart. One bone stock, the other with Corsa, RT cats, and K&N drop in. Difference in horsepower between the two, 2 horsepower. Both cars were running stock pcm tunes.

Granted, we did not have a stock pull for the modified V.

GT

04CTSVFLA
12-12-05, 10:06 PM
WOW. I dont understand.

Joey'sVee
12-12-05, 10:11 PM
WOW. I dont understand.

Somehow we didn't think you would! :rofl:

wildwhl
12-12-05, 10:14 PM
Hey, wait a minute...is this the thread on the boobs again? Nope? Must be about the inadequate diff, or some other silly dealer nonsense...nope? Wrong again?

Ohhh...it is about the same cats I just ordered up. Maybe they won't be able to perform better than stock...but I'll post the results no less. Sure, I'll probably miss the headers and x-pipe B&B...but the silence will be welcome for a time...

and no, Joey'sVee, I don't expect you to understand :hitstick:

(Time to uncork some wine, I can see the forum will be fun tonight)

Joey'sVee
12-12-05, 10:16 PM
Hey, wait a minute...is this the thread on the boobs again? Nope? Must be about the inadequate diff, or some other silly dealer nonsense...nope? Wrong again?

Ohhh...it is about the same cats I just ordered up. Maybe they won't be able to perform better than stock...but I'll post the results no less. Sure, I'll probably miss the headers and x-pipe B&B...but the silence will be welcome for a time...

and no, Joey'sVee, I don't expect you to understand :hitstick:

(Time to uncork some wine, I can see the forum will be fun tonight)

:yawn:

Florian
12-12-05, 10:50 PM
sounds about right, I was +4 with Corsa and RT Cats. Lots of cash for minimal bang....

F

wildwhl
12-12-05, 10:52 PM
Florian -

was that without any tuning?

WW

Florian
12-12-05, 11:12 PM
WW,

Yup...(Rick cured that though!!!)

F

wildwhl
12-12-05, 11:16 PM
Did you dyno again after the Stealth tune?

Paul@Dezod
12-12-05, 11:18 PM
Did either of them have headers? THAT is the biggest restriction by far to this car's performance. The guys with the corsa and RT guy went 9 yards and expected the 1st down. You need the entire package to see the gains.
Someone post the graphs. He might have only gained a peak of 4, but I would love to see the graph comparison. :rant2:

Remeber one thing: Numbers don't mean a thing. It's the area under the curve (useable power) that makes ALL the difference in the world when it comes to performance.

Here is one of our other projects on 8.5 PSI. Stock is 140whp & 155wtq

For granted, 245 at the wheels doesn't seem like much, but add this with a 2900lbs car, put back some of the timing (we pulled some to be safe), lean out the A/Fs to 12.5 across the board and voila, now we run low 13's. This car runs a 103mph trap at 8 PSI. The turbo is just getting warmed up. She is mapped out for 12-14 PSI.

wildwhl
12-12-05, 11:19 PM
:hmm: power under the curve...what a concept ;)

Paul@Dezod
12-12-05, 11:29 PM
:hmm: power under the curve...what a concept ;)

:rolleyes:

:highfive:

Florian
12-12-05, 11:36 PM
WW,

Will dyno again in March, V taking a winter nap.

F

wildwhl
12-12-05, 11:41 PM
RossRacing/Dave -

Keep us posted, please. I'm curious to see what you net (would like to see the curves if possible).

WW - trying to make the most sleeper V possible. You never know when a M what or AMG who will pull up next to you.

Florian
12-12-05, 11:51 PM
WW,
My problem is that there is a Maggie in my future.....

F

wildwhl
12-12-05, 11:53 PM
All the better...since I have a Maggie and unless you're going to do headers, I'd like to see how we measure up.

So, the V's taking a nap, and probably the Harleys too...whadya drive when it is cold out?

BadCad
12-12-05, 11:55 PM
would like to see the curves if possible
yeah, me too.... show me them curves! :xgrin:

Ross Racing
12-12-05, 11:56 PM
I will get my computer back from StealthV just before Christmas and the cats just after the new year. Then it is straight to the dyno. I will share the numbers with all of you.

Stock was 333 rwhp and 322 tq on a DynoJet. Wish I could have gotten some pulls with the exhaust and CAI before tuning

Luna.
12-13-05, 12:04 AM
WW - trying to make the most sleeper V possible. You never know when a M what or AMG who will pull up next to you.

I'm having trouble getting the AMGs I find (which aren't easy to find mind you) to run with me. Haven't fonud an E55 yet, but I've come across a few others (SL55, etc.) and I can't get them to run. They are like in their own little world it seems and they don't even notice...

I may lose, but dammit--I'm convinced that, at a minimum, I will run with the bastige...:gungrin:

wildwhl
12-13-05, 12:07 AM
I have a couple that like to play on one of my alternate morning routes. An M3 and a C32 AMG (I think, little AMG though)...but we're just playing, not running that hard...

Once they get the full on note of the V, though, most cars back off and give up usually :nono:

Florian
12-13-05, 12:14 AM
All the better...since I have a Maggie and unless you're going to do headers, I'd like to see how we measure up.

So, the V's taking a nap, and probably the Harleys too...whadya drive when it is cold out?

The Harleys too are under blanket with Battery Tenders to keep em warm. I drive a 2000 GMC Jimmy 2 door 4x4. Good ride with boatloads of cheap, accessable parts.

F

trukk
12-15-05, 04:06 PM
Two V's dynoed on the same dyno and same day - 30 minutes apart. One bone stock, the other with Corsa, RT cats, and K&N drop in. Difference in horsepower between the two, 2 horsepower. Both cars were running stock pcm tunes.

Granted, we did not have a stock pull for the modified V.

GT

But we also had a third V there that day (mine), that had RT Cats + Corsa (no LPE at that time), and mine was considerably higher than yours (25 Rwhp, I think)

I think Marty's car is just an egg :D either that or the 2K miles he had put on it at that point were all under 1500 RPM. On a side note, mine was definately 'broken' in at that point, as I had about 12K miles on it. I think you were somewhere around 4K miles, if I remember right. I'm sure that had something to do with it too.

There is a definate SOP difference with the RT Cats. More than the Corsa by itself. My Guestimate would be 10-12 Rwhp.

-Chris

Ross Racing
12-15-05, 04:30 PM
Now thats what I wanted to hear.

Hopefully with the B&B x pipe exhaust, cats, More intake, and Stealth tune I will dyno 370-380 rw with 4k miles.

Is that a fairly safe guess, I made 333/322 stock

Joey'sVee
12-15-05, 05:27 PM
I would think you would go from 333 to 363. B&B = 10, cats = 5, More = 5, StealthV = 10....that is JMHO.

ace996
12-15-05, 06:00 PM
You cannot take two cars, baseline one and then compare the modded one's results to the other's. Not a fair comparo. You'd need to dyno ONE car, change the cats and then dyno again. There have been Vs who've gone to dynos and have had very different results, for reason's not known to me...or them. Different cars, different gas, different numbers...always.
Now if you really wanted to see a gain from the short pipes, take the cats out and mount up test-pipes. Usually N/A cars gain 5-15 horses from going catless, not bad for the cost($150-200). But the RT cats are known to breathe well and keep emissions in line.
-ace

GT04CTS-V
12-15-05, 06:22 PM
But we also had a third V there that day (mine), that had RT Cats + Corsa (no LPE at that time), and mine was considerably higher than yours (25 Rwhp, I think)

I think Marty's car is just an egg :D either that or the 2K miles he had put on it at that point were all under 1500 RPM. On a side note, mine was definately 'broken' in at that point, as I had about 12K miles on it. I think you were somewhere around 4K miles, if I remember right. I'm sure that had something to do with it too.

There is a definate SOP difference with the RT Cats. More than the Corsa by itself. My Guestimate would be 10-12 Rwhp.

-Chris

Nope, my car had 2500 miles on it. Now - both of our cars (mine and Marty's) are exactly the same, cept I do not have RT cats. We run the same ET and trap speed on the 1/4 . Today I think my car has considerably more horsepower than yours, bout 140 more I think.:yup:

GT

GT04CTS-V
12-15-05, 06:25 PM
You cannot take two cars, baseline one and then compare the modded one's results to the other's. Not a fair comparo.
-ace

Agreed, that's why in my original response I said:

"Granted, we did not have a stock pull for the modified V."

GT

lasstss
12-15-05, 06:59 PM
They also set up the dyno with my car so it was also good & hot when they did the pull.

Even hot it still made a couple of horses more than GTOvSOB4's car..:lildevil::D:yup:

trukk
12-16-05, 11:49 AM
I agree with all your comments above (I'm so agreable).

The bottom line though, at least for me, is that I feel VERY confident that the RT Cats flow better, and thus produce more RWHP/RWTQ.

It would be nice if Ross would do a before and after dyno pull, to get to the bottom of this once and for all.

-Chris

Ross Racing
12-16-05, 02:34 PM
I would have done dyno pulls after each mod if I could have. Time hasn't been on my side. So I have to settle for final tuned numbers