cranezilla
12-12-05, 02:58 PM
Virgil W Duren July 28, 2005
24161 Hwy 145
Bristow, IN 47515

Tom Schrader Vice President of Marketing
Jasper Engines & Transmissions

Mr. Schrader

I am writing you in regard to an engine I had installed in my 1996 Cadillac Eldorado.
The initial engine was installed in February of 2005 by Uhebalor and Sons Cadillac, just across the street from your plant.

Engine #1
I pick the car up on Friday Feb 18, the oil light came on during the trip home with the car. I took it back to the dealer on Monday Feb 21, Presidents day; a new oil pressure sending unit was installed and seemed to solve the problem. After approximately 1500 miles the oil light started coming on again, the car was returned again to the dealer and it was determined the engine was faulty and was replaced.

Engine #2
After approximately 400 miles this engine began doing the same thing, the oil light coming on at idle. The car was return to the dealer who again replaced the engine after running tests and determining the engine was faulty.

Engine #3
After installing the third engine, I again picked the car up from the dealer and once again after less than 500 miles the oil light began coming on at idle. The car was taken back to the dealer, who then took the car across the street to your shop. You service personnel claim that they cannot get the oil light to come on. They have also claimed that 2 to 10 psi at idle is acceptable, Cadillac does not agree.

Engines #1 and #2, I have been told, have been dismantled and it was determined that the clearance on the crankshaft journals was excessive, sounds like the same problem on engine #3.

I have instructed the service manager to get the car from your shop and since your service people believe the engine to be acceptable, would they please be so kind as to put some electrical tape or duct tape over the oil pressure light, since, according to Jasper Engines, it does not seem to be important. I just donít want to waste my good tape.

Since I really do like this car, that is why I put the new engine in it, I will continue to drive it until it fails, which will probably be sooner than later given the past history.

I realize that I am only one customer, but a lot of people know of problems I am having and the service manager at Ubehelor says he will not buy another engine from you company, I had this engine installed in lew of anew engine from GM on his recommendation.

Needless to say I am very disappointed with my experience with your company.

Virgil Duren

94CaddyConcours
12-13-05, 05:09 PM
OMG you went to 4 engines. Shame on Jasper. How much did you spend, if one must ask.

Katshot
12-13-05, 05:22 PM
Years ago I had a similar experience and never went back to using them. I had been using them for a couple years with no problems, but all of a sudden we had like 3 engines in a row go bad. Between that and the battle I had to go through with them concerning warranty coverage, I wrote them off as a supplier for our fleet.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-13-05, 05:50 PM
wow wierd, did you ever get a responce back?

zonie77
12-14-05, 11:16 AM
I'm pretty sure they would batch build engines. Probably all in that batch had the same specs. If clearances were too big they'd all be similar.

I know idle oil pressure is low on N*'s. What did Cadillac tell you was acceptable?