: Drove a CLS 55 AMG!

Barak
12-12-05, 04:05 AM
I pulled up at this Christmas party tonight and sitting right in front was a CLS 55. I thought wow, I wonder whose that is. I quickly found out that it was David Hayter's, writer of the X-Men movies. I asked him if I can get a closer look and he says sure. We go out to the car and he says get in the driver seat.:bouncy: Long story short, he let me take it for a spin. The car is incredible, but the strange thing is that you don't hear any blower noise inside the car. And the auto inflating seat side bolsters are freakin' awesome. If you make a right turn the left bolster inflates and vice versa.

Now I'd really like to test drive an STS-V to compare.

Blacksport350
12-12-05, 08:32 AM
That's awesome!

As to blower noise, you do hear it but only at full throttle and very high revs. You also get a slight chirp as the clutch for the supercharger engages as the SC is not running below 1500RPM or while cruising under minimal load. This was done to improve torque coming off the line and for fuel economy.

Katshot
12-12-05, 08:40 AM
No kidding? After all these years, someone actually made a Mad Max supercharger? I'll be damned!

erp2863
12-12-05, 09:21 AM
I had a chance to sit in one at the Frankfurt Motor show and thought it was one of the nicest cars I've ever sat in. Wish I could afford one!!

SBONES
12-12-05, 09:26 AM
looks like a torpedo...ill take the V...put a sc on it if you feel the need, for speed.

Barak
12-12-05, 02:24 PM
That's awesome!

As to blower noise, you do hear it but only at full throttle and very high revs. You also get a slight chirp as the clutch for the supercharger engages as the SC is not running below 1500RPM or while cruising under minimal load. This was done to improve torque coming off the line and for fuel economy.

I took it to redline three times and didn't hear it once. If I ever have the priveledge to drive one again, I'll have to listen more closely.

I can't imagine that they would try to improve torque off the line by disabling the SC at low RPM's. My guess is that they did it to limit torque so that the tires wouldn't go up in smoke.

Did you notice that the brakes stay on a split second after you release the pedal, even during moderate braking? I'm sure you'd get used to it after a while but it feels unnatural.