: Engine Compartment Light

Vdrenaline
12-12-05, 01:38 AM
I want to install a nice bright light in my engine compartment that will come on automatically when the hood is lifted up. Has anyone done this or have any advice on installing one? Few cars seem to have this feature anymore. I wonder why?
Thanks for any advice on this.

Ross Racing
12-12-05, 02:53 AM
Yeah, I'm shocked that Cadillac dropped the ball on this one. Is a little light too much to ask.
I think not lol!

ewill3rd
12-12-05, 07:46 AM
Most hood lamps these days have a mercury switch or a ball built right into them. All you'd need to do is find an application that would snap in to your hood somehow and wire up a power and a ground. Not sure which one would work the best though. Usually most of them have square holes cut into the inner layer sheet metal and they just snap in.
If I can remember I'll scout for a suitable replacement.

a64pilot
12-12-05, 08:18 AM
The Chevy one with a detachable light and reel is nice.

OldRoadDawg
12-12-05, 08:42 AM
My 14 yr old Chevy pu trk has the light activated by the mercury switch and a second light with a switch and reel mounted on the inner fender panel. Both still work!

ewill3rd
12-12-05, 08:58 AM
True, you could buy one for an older car. My '92 Olds had a light like that. It came with a reel and a light you could pop out and move wherever you wanted. It wasn't mega bright but it was handy!