: Possible tweeter mod?

wildwhl
12-11-05, 11:48 AM
Gents -

After spending the last 5 days in the wife's Murano, and disliking the stereo (Bose) in it a great deal, I started doing some research this morning. Seems one trick is to add a cap to the tweeter to lower the crossover point and basically make the dash mounted tweeters cover more of the audio spectrum.

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1449&perpage=15&highlight=steering&pagenumber=1

Any thoughts on doing this to the tweets in the V? I'll be the guinea pig if anyone has a pic of the factory tweeters for me to stare at for a bit...

Man did I miss the V. The Murano is plenty quick and comfortable - but on stretches of I5 where seems like people are REALLY stretching their legs, the V would have been a blast!

WW

ssmith100
12-11-05, 11:55 AM
Wild,

The factory tweeter has a CAP that's built onto the tweeter itself. The signal going to the tweeter is crossed over the same as the door speaker. Changing them would probably be easier. Since installing the JL tweeters in my factory locations it sounds much better.

Shane

wildwhl
12-11-05, 12:11 PM
Shane -

You're probably right...but you know me - gotta try :)

The factory tweeter on the Murano has a cap on it as well - the Nissan guys are just swapping the cap out for one of a different value to lower the xover point (or, more accurately, "bass blocker" point, lol)

urbanski
12-11-05, 12:12 PM
ww, like shane said, i'm replacing the factory junk with JL audio tweets...i'll give you my report in about a week :)

wildwhl
12-11-05, 01:07 PM
Popped the factory tweeter out. Sure enough, 4.7uf caps built into the tweeter sideframe. Would be difficult to change - but I'm going to try nonetheless.

Shane/Urby - will the JL's fit easily based on their size, or will significant mods be made? Will you stash them behind the Bose grill?

WW

ssmith100
12-11-05, 08:17 PM
Wild,

They fit fine. I'll post a pic tommorow for you to show. To late tonight for me to go pull a pillar.

Shane

SBONES
12-12-05, 09:32 AM
I replaced my whole stereo with JL stuff...the key, i say, is the signal that the stereo puts out...its not that good...thats where your sound is...I changed mine by using the JL Cleansweep...its sounds so good...only thing is i lost my volume control...now i use the cleansweep volume.:thumbsup:

b4z
12-12-05, 11:19 AM
Are you saying that the Bose system in your Murano doesn't have a crossover ,just a capacitor to stop bass from going to the tweeter?

That is crazy if it is true.

wildwhl
12-12-05, 02:50 PM
b4z -

My understanding of the 3 Bose systems I've played with (00 Maxima, 03 Murano, and now the V) is that the only xover at the amp is a low frequency high pass - like 100 hz or so - where the subwoofer will take over. Other than that, there are caps on the tweets (high pass crossover) and the midbass or "middler" as Bose calls them runs full range, though by design they are not a very full range driver.

I installed some ADS 236 midbass units yesterday in place of the Bose Middlers in the front doors...seems better, but I need to give it a few days to be sure. I tried swapping the tweeters for some that I had setting around (JBL) but thought the sound became too bright. The ADS are 4 ohm where the Bose were likely 2 ohm so output is reduced, thereby making the soundstage come more from the tweeters. I suspect the tweeters are 4 ohm given the 4.7uf cap rating (that's like 7-8khz xover at 4 ohm, it would be more like 16Khz at 2 ohm and I doubt Bose wanted a supertweeter - plus it obviously x's over at the aforementioned region).

Gotta live with it for a while before I can be certain - but I think I like the change. I suspect the Infinity components referenced elsewhere are great - but I had the ADS in hand.

WW

thebigjimsho
12-12-05, 07:05 PM
b4z -

My understanding of the 3 Bose systems I've played with (00 Maxima, 03 Murano, and now the V) is that the only xover at the amp is a low frequency high pass - like 100 hz or so - where the subwoofer will take over. Other than that, there are caps on the tweets (high pass crossover) and the midbass or "middler" as Bose calls them runs full range, though by design they are not a very full range driver.

I installed some ADS 236 midbass units yesterday in place of the Bose Middlers in the front doors...seems better, but I need to give it a few days to be sure. I tried swapping the tweeters for some that I had setting around (JBL) but thought the sound became too bright. The ADS are 4 ohm where the Bose were likely 2 ohm so output is reduced, thereby making the soundstage come more from the tweeters. I suspect the tweeters are 4 ohm given the 4.7uf cap rating (that's like 7-8khz xover at 4 ohm, it would be more like 16Khz at 2 ohm and I doubt Bose wanted a supertweeter - plus it obviously x's over at the aforementioned region).

Gotta live with it for a while before I can be certain - but I think I like the change. I suspect the Infinity components referenced elsewhere are great - but I had the ADS in hand.

WWPersonally, I would take 2 series a/d/s/ over ANY Infinity speaker anywhere, anytime. I was pleasantly surprised when I stumbed on my old 325is.2 a/d/s/ components. I forgot about them. If I can find some 326is.2 for the front, I may go a/d/s/ again. Classic a/d/s/ is awesome. Or some new Dynaudio equipment.:thumbsup:

wildwhl
12-12-05, 07:36 PM
Ahhh...Dynaudio. The BEST home speakers I've ever owned (and there have been many)

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/2091/gemini.html

Classic a/d/s - I actually have some stashed, somewhere ;)

ssmith100
12-12-05, 07:43 PM
I've got a Dynaudio free air MW180 10" subwoofer for the rear deck if one of you guys are interested. New in the box.

Shane

thebigjimsho
12-12-05, 08:09 PM
How much? Yummy.

ssmith100
12-12-05, 08:38 PM
Jim,

I'll PM you a price. It will be a good one I promise:yup: If I don't start getting rid of some of this stuff the wife is going to kill me. It was bought from woofersetc.com. Posting a link for you. Couple of pics.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1982

Shane

b4z
12-13-05, 03:18 PM
Man, you guys just brought back a flood of car stereo memories.

In 1982 while a senior in high school I bought a a/d/s Powerplate 100 and
a pair of 300i speakers. I didn't have my own car so I put then into my mom's
1982 Chevy Impala. Concord HPL120 was the head unit and later a Concord
hpl 532 w/ Dolby C adapter. Concord's had incredible tape performance.
That thing rocked and had amazing quality. I think the tweeter was the best out there at the time. And that little 5" woofer had some serious excursion capability. I did have to have new woofers put in because the foam disintegrated.

The reason I was asking about the capicitor in the Bose system is because
the first speakers I bought for $25 when I was 16 had a capacitor inline to the tweeter. So I think even less of Bose now than before I read this thread.