: 06 electric rear lift gate

augieman
12-10-05, 11:28 PM
This is probably the one feature I wish they'd of left off or that was made optional.

How does one activate the mechanism?

Could my kids activate it in the garage? I fear that it could open into the garage door. Hopefully it's tied into the rear backup sensors and thus maybe it won't open?

caddycruiser
12-11-05, 12:39 AM
What's so bad about it? It's easily one of the most loved, convenient features ever introduced on minivans and SUVs, especially for those that are short, anyone carrying a load of stuff in their arms, in bad weather, etc.

The only way to open is either via the remote fob button or the button inside the cabin...so, if you keep it locked, the only way it'll open is if someone (like the kids you mentioned) are playing with the remote.

Have it for a day and I guarantee you'd love it--I wish our Suburban had it, daily. And to think, Chrysler first used it over 5 years ago and it took until a year ago for anyone else to even start offering it...and Cadillac until just recently...

augieman
12-11-05, 12:57 AM
Besides the fact that it's just another thing to break I'm most worried that my kids will activate it somehow and have it open into something.

If it's tied into the rear sensors, then great. If it's not, then I'd be worried.

Is there a way to open it manually? I've been in situations where I opened my rear gate slowly to make sure it wouldn't hit anything. And it would so I only opened it halfway to get my stuff. I've had snowboards and windsurfers on my roof that wouldn't allow rear gates to open fully.

If I do start opening it automatically, and I press on the gate itself to stop, does it?

Playdrv4me
12-11-05, 11:23 AM
Besides the fact that it's just another thing to break I'm most worried that my kids will activate it somehow and have it open into something.

If it's tied into the rear sensors, then great. If it's not, then I'd be worried.

Is there a way to open it manually? I've been in situations where I opened my rear gate slowly to make sure it wouldn't hit anything. And it would so I only opened it halfway to get my stuff. I've had snowboards and windsurfers on my roof that wouldn't allow rear gates to open fully.

If I do start opening it automatically, and I press on the gate itself to stop, does it?

If it hits your garage door it will not do much more than probably make a very small nick on your tailgate or the door itself. The mechanism is designed to stop as soon as soon as it senses an obstacle, but to answer your question, they are usually not tied into the backup sensors. I hit the button on a Lincoln Navigator that was backed up to a metal fence at a dealership to see what it would do and it just stopped when it hit the fence and turned off.

caddycruiser
12-11-05, 02:27 PM
There are sensors to prevent anyone or anything from being squashed or smacked with the door. I tried the one on an Infiniti QX56 at the auto show this past February, not noticing someone was slightly under/beside the opening. Bumped them, but it immediately reversed.

I understand the concern you're having, especially with the opening inside a garage. I guess I'd just use it the same as you were saying, power or not--hit the button, but watch closely and if it's going to hit, you can always just grab or hit it, and it should reverse.

Why don't you go to a dealer and give one some "practice runs" to see how it really works?

compfan03
01-07-06, 06:10 PM
THis is the one feature I wish was available on my 04 SRX. Is a retro-fit possible?

danstanford
01-09-06, 03:25 PM
Caddycruiser, there is no button to my knowlege inside the cabin on my 06. I would love one just like I'd love to be able to program my locks not to automatically lock when I put it in gear! How about some of these kind of functions for the soft buttons on the D.I.C.?