: Good Small Car???

ben72227
12-10-05, 09:48 PM
Hey guys, my grandma is about to get a new car and she's asking me about some good small cars. She likes nice, sporty cars (her last three cars have been RX-7s (a 1981 and a 1990) and a Volkswagen GTI (2000). She lives in a small town, and whenever she wants to get her car serviced, she has to come up to Little Rock to get it worked on, so she wants her next car to be something that she can buy locally.

So we looked at it, and her options would be:
Honda Civic
Nissan Altima
Chevy Malibu
Hyundai Sonata
Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan
Ford Mustang (V6)

I don't think she'll get the Civic, because she wants a car with at least 160HP (some passing power, as she said...), her current GTI has about 150HP I think...and the new Civic only has 140HP. The Nissan is probably out too because she doesn't like those huge gauges (she likes her GTI because she is short and can see over the dash)...

I think I will probably be taking her to the Ford dealership tommorow (she is in town visiting) to let her check out the new Fords. Although she isn't necessarily partial to fords, she has owned them before (an old thunderbird) and wants to see what the new stuff is like.

Another note, in case you haven't figured it out, she's not your ordinary old lady. Most of her friends drive big boats like Crown Vics, Town Cars, etc. She likes cars like we guys like cars (Imagine a 75 year old zooming down the interstate in a RX-7 at 90MPH:thumbsup: ) very cool grandma indeed...

Anyway, I wanted to know what you guys thought about those models listed, and which one you would get. She only wants to spend about $20,000, and her price limit is $25,000 - anything over that is off limits. She wants to have good features though - leather seats, auto transmission, CD player, etc. and a sunroof would be nice too, but isn't essential...:thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-10-05, 09:52 PM
2002-2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE or 3.5SL
240-250hp, 5 speed automatic, 6 speed manual optional, it has CD player standard probably, leather is standard in the 3.5SL

Rolex
12-10-05, 09:57 PM
2002-2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE or 3.5SL
240-250hp, 5 speed automatic, 6 speed manual optional, it has CD player standard probably, leather is standard in the 3.5SL

+1. The Altima with the V6 is a nice car, and a great runner. Sounds like a young and cool grandmother. It's not often you see a granny in an RX 7.

ben72227
12-10-05, 10:58 PM
As she says, just because your old doesn't mean you have to ACT old. Age is just a number to her:p...

So you guys think the Altima would work? Remember, she's very short, and she awhile back she rented some Pontiac (G6 maybe???) and hated the fact that she couldn't see over the dashboard because it had huge, stick-out gauges...

I was thinking Sonata, since it comes standard with everything she wanted and it has that DOHC V6, and a really good warranty...

Stoneage_Caddy
12-10-05, 11:05 PM
get her a mini .....damn near bought one fo them today myself ....

Rolex
12-10-05, 11:09 PM
get her a mini .....damn near bought one fo them today myself ....

I saw a Mini Cooper S this week in Idaho and I have to admit I like them. They are a sharp little car.

ben72227
12-10-05, 11:14 PM
Remember, I need something she can buy LOCALLY. We don't even have a MINI dealer in Arkansas...;)

Jesda
12-10-05, 11:23 PM
Sporting intentions make the Altima 3.5 and Fusion good choices. Is your grandma single? :D

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-10-05, 11:49 PM
Sounds like the opposite of me. I'm the young guy with the "granny mobile" I bet the first owners of my car were an older couple. I wonder if i'll buy "kids cars" when I'm in my 60's and '70s. Something like a Trans Am. Hmmmm

ben72227
12-10-05, 11:50 PM
What Jesda:hmm: Yes, but I don't think she's your type:histeric:She's just a BIT too old for you Jesda...old enough to be your grandma:sneaky:

ben72227
12-10-05, 11:55 PM
Well she's driven everything practically (Grandpa owned a construction business and was a GM diehard). She HATES Chevrolet, she recalls having to replace the alternator SIX times in her Chevy pick-up, and her Bel Air was one of the worst cars she ever owned. She liked the T-bird, and she liked her Camaro she had (before she got the RX-7). I think it was a late 70's model...But she's somewhat impulsive when it comes to cars; she got the RX-7 because she saw one outside of a restaurant in New York (this was when they were new) and she said, "I'm gonna get one of those!" She got it, and then got a '90, but they had gotten much too expensive by the time she got the GTI. Now she's *thinking* about getting another car, but is afraid something newer/better will come out next year. I told her not to worry since most of these models WERE brand new (Fusion, Mustang, Civic, Sonata, etc.)

mccombie_5
12-11-05, 01:06 AM
Sounds much like my mother!

65 and driving a BMW 330cd. How about the Mazda RX8??

I dont know how much these are, but i think she could see over the dashboard, since my wife can and she is only 5'2".

Failing that, there is the Mercury Milan, which to me looks like a fine car,b ut you see more of them than I do so you can make judgemnt on that!

How about a Jetta?

SilverFleetwood85
12-11-05, 01:10 AM
hey you should get her a Honda S2000, she would probably like it if she liked the RX-7

gdwriter
12-11-05, 01:14 AM
Another note, in case you haven't figured it out, she's not your ordinary old lady. Most of her friends drive big boats like Crown Vics, Town Cars, etc. She likes cars like we guys like cars (Imagine a 75 year old zooming down the interstate in a RX-7 at 90MPH:thumbsup: ) very cool grandma indeed...

That's cool your Grandma likes hot cars. Even though I don't like Fords as a rule, I'll admit I like the new Mustang. I'd vote for a Mustang GT.

My grandmother had a '57 Bel Air convertible, then traded it in on a '62 Impala convertible. Sad to say, her last car was a hideous gold '71 Plymouth Fury that was a POS when it was new. My other grandmother had the perfect old lady car, a Plymouth Valiant with a slant six.

Do a search on the word "grandmother" or "grandma" in the Lounge. Youbetcha77 has some great stories about his hellbent-for-leather grandma and her Caddys.

powerglide
12-11-05, 01:19 AM
On the list I am a big fan of the new civics, I think they are great looking cars.
Its car of the year and ranked number one in the latest crash tests too.
If she wants sporty, get the Si coupe.

She could probably get a rx8 close to 25k too....your granny sounds cool!

Yup, according to carsdirect you can buy a brand new rx8 in Arkansas for $22K

http://www.carsdirect.com/build/options?zipcode=71630&acode=USB50MAC161A0&restore=false

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-11-05, 01:19 AM
My mom's mom always had big Buicks,
71 Lesabre Sedan w/ 350
84 Electra Sedan
92 Roadmaster Limited Sedan

My dad's stepmom has always had compact toyotas
'86 Tercel wagon
some others
05 Prius

Night Wolf
12-11-05, 01:26 AM
G6 GTP Coupe........with 6spd manual option :) right in the $20k-$25k range

75y/o granny driving a RX-7 and GTi..... 18y/o guy driving '79 DeVille, '93 Deville and '89 Oldsmobile...... what is this world coming to? :)

SpeedyArizona
12-11-05, 01:33 AM
How about a Lexus IS? It's a fairly compact car and a BARGAIN especially for a Lexus. They start at around $30,000 (a bit more), but has all the comfort features you could want.

If she's doesn't want to spend quite that much, I'd suggest a new Nissan Maxima, very nice looking car.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-11-05, 01:36 AM
18y/o guy driving '79 DeVille, '93 Deville and '89 Oldsmobile...... what is this world coming to? :)

Thats how I feel......old :(
hahaha jk!

ben72227
12-11-05, 01:54 AM
Guys, I love the suggestions, but remember, the brands I listed are the ones we're considering here - She lives in Pine Bluff, AR and they only have the popular brands there (Domestics, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, etc.). She could get a VW or a Mazda or something else, but that would mean she'd have to keep coming up here everytime she wants to get it serviced, and she wants to buy a car that she can get serviced at home.

She's great friends with the guy that own Trotter Ford in Pine Bluff, they go to church together, so she knows that he would treat her good if she needed service with her car, which is why she's looking at ford...:rolleyes:

powerglide
12-11-05, 02:03 AM
In that case:

Honda--Civic, S2000
Toyota--Solara, Scion Tc
Nissan--350z, Maxima
Hyundai---fugggedaboutit

Jesda
12-11-05, 02:03 AM
Has she looked at the Tiburon?

N0DIH
12-11-05, 02:05 AM
Me? I hate small cars. But if I was to look.

Subraru WRX STi ($32K new, 2004's are running $23-24K with low miles) 6 sp only stick.
Subarru Imprezza 2.5RS. AWD, decent power 2.5L opposed 4 banger
Cobalt/Sunfire
Mitsubushi Lancer EVO...

Hey guys, my grandma is about to get a new car and she's asking me about some good small cars. She likes nice, sporty cars (her last three cars have been RX-7s (a 1981 and a 1990) and a Volkswagen GTI (2000). She lives in a small town, and whenever she wants to get her car serviced, she has to come up to Little Rock to get it worked on, so she wants her next car to be something that she can buy locally.

So we looked at it, and her options would be:
Honda Civic
Nissan Altima
Chevy Malibu
Hyundai Sonata
Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan
Ford Mustang (V6)

I don't think she'll get the Civic, because she wants a car with at least 160HP (some passing power, as she said...), her current GTI has about 150HP I think...and the new Civic only has 140HP. The Nissan is probably out too because she doesn't like those huge gauges (she likes her GTI because she is short and can see over the dash)...

I think I will probably be taking her to the Ford dealership tommorow (she is in town visiting) to let her check out the new Fords. Although she isn't necessarily partial to fords, she has owned them before (an old thunderbird) and wants to see what the new stuff is like.

Anyway, I wanted to know what you guys thought about those models listed, and which one you would get. She only wants to spend about $20,000, and her price limit is $25,000 - anything over that is off limits. She wants to have good features though - leather seats, auto transmission, CD player, etc. and a sunroof would be nice too, but isn't essential...:thumbsup:

Kev
12-11-05, 02:07 AM
My vote would go to the Mustang and not necesarrily the V6. My.... oh yeah, I gave it to my daughter.... my daughter's Mustang (88 LX w/5.0 HO) just this morning passed California's smog test with remarkably low numbers. Not bad for a car with over 300,000 miles on it.

My grandmother had a 1970 Monte Carlo SS 454.

mccombie_5
12-11-05, 05:17 AM
In which case Ben, either the Ford Fusion / Mercury Milan, OR the Mustang :)

powerglide
12-11-05, 05:18 AM
I think the Milan is a great lookin car too!

mccombie_5
12-11-05, 05:20 AM
I think the Milan is a great lookin car too!

Yeah, styling cues from the CTS, but its still a nice looking car. I dont know about the dynamics though

powerglide
12-11-05, 05:23 AM
Yeah, styling cues from the CTS, but its still a nice looking car. I dont know about the dynamics though

Yeah and the first year glitches are a concern too.....

http://www.motorawards.com/ve/showcase/fotos/2006/mercury/milan/16901-t1.jpg

mccombie_5
12-11-05, 05:24 AM
Yeah and the first year glitches are a concern too.....
http://www.motorawards.com/ve/showcase/fotos/2006/mercury/milan/16901-t1.jpg

SO maybe the Mustang?

powerglide
12-11-05, 05:25 AM
One thing that really bothers me (especially fords) is the MASSIVE space between the top of the tire and the body. The Mustang's gap is so large I can stick my foot in there....such a deal breaker for me.

mccombie_5
12-11-05, 05:26 AM
I think its a marketing ploy :sneaky: so you will buy bigger wheels from the dealership :)

powerglide
12-11-05, 05:32 AM
Funny you say that because the dude at the dealership said the exact same thing when I pointed it out!
When I asked him how they compensate for the larger wheels and tire diameter on the speedo and trip computer. He muttered something about recalibration. So I asked if that was a simple thing to do. He mumbled something about don't quote me and tried to change the subject......loser.
I read somewhere that its called chain-clearance (as in tire chain) and done on purpose.....which sounds like a lame excuse to me.
BMW's look so good largely due to the way the tires/wheels and body blend so perfectly....IMHO.

mccombie_5
12-11-05, 05:40 AM
Funny you say that because the dude at the dealership said the exact same thing when I pointed it out!
When I asked him how they compensate for the larger wheels and tire diameter on the speedo and trip computer. He muttered something about recalibration. So I asked if that was a simple thing to do. He mumbled something about don't quote me and tried to change the subject......loser.
I read somewhere that its called chain-clearance (as in tire chain) and done on purpose.....which sounds like a lame excuse to me.
BMW's look so good largely due to the way the tires/wheels and body blend so perfectly....IMHO.

Sounds about right. Every Furd dealership I've been in was unhelpful, they can recalibrate it, quite easily. Tyre clearence? B U L L S H I T I've never known that, i think its just a faux par on the behalf of the designed.

Now, as for BMWs, the E60 (current) 5-Series looks like its on castors, the Touring model less so, but the wheels, the rears particularly are TINY.

I think the Touring is much better proportioned than the sedan, its why I bought one.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Car%20Pictures%20-and%20other%20random%20crap%20i%20need%20to%20host/E60_545i_Side.jpg

Jesda
12-11-05, 07:16 AM
Now, as for BMWs, the E60 (current) 5-Series looks like its on castors, the Touring model less so, but the wheels, the rears particularly are TINY.
I think the Touring is much better proportioned than the sedan, its why I bought one.

Thats what turned me off about the 02-06 Infiniti Q45. It has the right amount of luxury, comfort, quality, and uniqueness, but the damn rear end is so tall that the rear wheels look like they're fourteen inches.

Harley Earl said, "Longer, lower, wider." Not taller!!!!

Katshot
12-11-05, 07:55 AM
V6 Mustang convertible. Being she's in Arkansas, she'll get plenty of season to use it. If not, I'd go with the Sonata. Damn nice cars, with HUGE warranties.

mccombie_5
12-11-05, 08:31 AM
Thats what turned me off about the 02-06 Infiniti Q45. It has the right amount of luxury, comfort, quality, and uniqueness, but the damn rear end is so tall that the rear wheels look like they're fourteen inches.
Harley Earl said, "Longer, lower, wider." Not taller!!!!

Exactly

I also have issues with the old VW Bora/Jetta, on this car the wheels look too big. The rear door is too thin above the wheel. Compared to the GM offering, the old Astra Saloon, it looks like the squashed rear doors in.

Whatever happened to proportion?

Bora:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Car%20Pictures%20-and%20other%20random%20crap%20i%20need%20to%20host/Bora1.jpg

Astra:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/mccombie_5/Car%20Pictures%20-and%20other%20random%20crap%20i%20need%20to%20host/astra-sedan-gls-1.jpg

Playdrv4me
12-11-05, 11:40 AM
Guys, I love the suggestions, but remember, the brands I listed are the ones we're considering here - She lives in Pine Bluff, AR and they only have the popular brands there (Domestics, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, etc.). She could get a VW or a Mazda or something else, but that would mean she'd have to keep coming up here everytime she wants to get it serviced, and she wants to buy a car that she can get serviced at home.

She's great friends with the guy that own Trotter Ford in Pine Bluff, they go to church together, so she knows that he would treat her good if she needed service with her car, which is why she's looking at ford...:rolleyes:

Im with the suggestion for the RX-8, new those things are only 28k to start and with a little dealing could come in below 25. A used 05 with a couple miles on it would probably be a bargain. Its exactly the kind of car she likes and its the one all the hip kids are driving these days, and funner to drive than the V6 Mustang. If not that, then Id recommend a Mustang GT which is right at 25k.

Also would consider an 05 Marauder, which Im sure can be had for peanuts.

ben72227
12-11-05, 12:30 PM
Thanks guys for all of the suggestions. I too think she would love to have another RX-8, but remember, her car has to have an AUTO transmission and can't cost more than $25,000. She would consider purchasing a used car, but I still don't know since, like I said, they don't have a Mazda dealer in Pine Bluff.

The ones I would SERIOUSLY consider for her would be the Sonata (it's a steal for that price...), the Mustang, and the Fusion/Milan. Maybe the Civic, since it was Motor Trends Car of the Year...but, I dont' know...

We looked at the Tiburon, but the current models aren't supposed to be anything too special; it hasn't gotten the upgrade treatment like the Sonata yet...

She LOVES her VW though, and she might get another one since they're upgrading the GTI next year, but she really wants to look at everything before she buys another one...

Katshot
12-11-05, 04:51 PM
I drove a V6 Mustang convertible and I was impressed. Don't rule out the V6 unless you drive it. First remember the ORIGINAL mustang was NOT a muscle car, it was the original "pony-car" and in that way the new V6 Mustang is as true to it's roots as any car could be. Also, the new V6 is actually pretty strong and has a real nice exhaust note, especially for a V6. It will surprise you.

SilverFleetwood85
12-11-05, 10:59 PM
I would stay away from Ford, their engines and transmissions are nothing but problems, and wear out quickly. You should encourage her to get a Honda Civic (I would still recommend a S2000 but you said she wants an Automatic which isn't offered on it).

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-11-05, 11:10 PM
How about an Accord EX-V6 Coupe? 244hp! It's consitently in Car and Driver's top 10 cars. Thats gotta be worth something!

ben72227
12-12-05, 12:54 AM
She doesn't need THAT much horsepower, and accord V6 with auto and leather seating is WAY out of her price range. I happened to see the new redesigned GTI today (it comes out next March) and I might just tell her to get it - she loves her old one anyway, and this new one looks great:
http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/uploads/070.jpghttp://www.vwvortex.com/artman/uploads/043_006.jpg

One thing I love about VWs (and German sporty cars in general) is the interior! That interior looks EXCELLENT, especially for a $20,000 car...:worship:

But, We will look at what else is available, and I'm really thinking its gonna come down to either an '06 Civic or a '07 GTI, since they're both really good small cars...

93devillejet
12-12-05, 01:11 AM
I just became a member, here, and this is my first post, Besides my 93 deville, I also own a 02 jetta 1.8t. I think you idea of a gti is a great idea, since she wants a smaller car. Volkswagen makes way more of a car than the honda civic or toyota corolla, they are fun to drive, and usually have a more upscale feel to them. I know consumer reports rates vw bad, (along with cadillac), but I would not trust them lol. My vw has 101k on it and has been the most reliable car I have owned, (not that my caddillac is not reliable, it just needs more attention ;) ) Well thats my ramble hope this helps.

Night Wolf
12-12-05, 06:59 AM
WOW, that GTi even includes the "interior by Rubbermaid" option.....sign me up!

Jesda
12-12-05, 07:03 AM
I wish VW invested as much time on dependability and dealer satisfaction as they did on interior finish. I dig the plaid seats.

Katshot
12-12-05, 08:46 AM
I would stay away from Ford, their engines and transmissions are nothing but problems, and wear out quickly. You should encourage her to get a Honda Civic (I would still recommend a S2000 but you said she wants an Automatic which isn't offered on it).

I'll be the last person here to play the "buy American" card so I hope you take this for an honest comment. I think your post is ridiculous.

Jesda
12-12-05, 09:27 AM
Ford's FWD transmissions aren't highly regarded, after the mess they made in the Contour, 626, Mystique, Taurus, and other vehicles. The once-popular 3.8 makes N* head gasket issues look like minor issues.

But I imagine by now they've resolved a lot of those issues, and I dont -believe- the old 3.8 as we knew it is still in use.

ben72227
12-12-05, 05:39 PM
WOW, that GTi even includes the "interior by Rubbermaid" option.....sign me up!

:p;)

True, but the difference is that coupled with the chrome pedals, beautiful gauges, great layout, tiptronic transmission (and most importantly) German driving experience, it somehow doesn't matter as much as say it does with a more expensive SS Cobalt which can only handle when its going it a straight line:p and not to mention the Cobalt was rated as one of the worst new small cars in terms of reliability, which isn't surprising since its coming from the same people who made the Cavalier...:nono:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-12-05, 05:43 PM
ah dont get him started ben :nono:

Playdrv4me
12-12-05, 06:42 PM
That interior is purposeful and elegantly laid out. The last thing I see in there is any plasticky feel and certainly the last thing that comes to mind is "Rubbermaid".

Look at the attention to detail with the seat fabric, the information center in the middle of the dash cluster with the gorgeous red LCD, the blue lighting, just enough chrome with the door handle and vent pulls and everything in its place, nice nav system. Nothing gawdy or tacky, or overly plasticated. Even the steering wheel is sculpted to fit the hands like a fine italian sports car. They put all that thought into a 20k car. Dont even get me started on the outside, Xenon lights on a 20k pocket rocket? Awesome.

Then again you could always uhh... get this...
http://www.chevrolet.com/i/06/pic/cobalt/photogallery/int_gallery01.jpg

Yawn...

mccombie_5
12-12-05, 06:49 PM
When does America get the BMW 1-Series?

My PA has one, I drive it now and again, seeing as it actually belongs to me.

THeyre nice as small cars go

Playdrv4me
12-12-05, 06:52 PM
When does America get the BMW 1-Series?
My PA has one, I drive it now and again, seeing as it actually belongs to me.
THeyre nice as small cars go

I think it is still under debate whether we are actually going to get that car as BMW, N.A. feels it might be competition for the already terrifically selling Mini lineup.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-12-05, 06:52 PM
The cobalt isnt bad except for all that damn yellow cloth

mccombie_5
12-12-05, 06:54 PM
I think it is still under debate whether we are actually going to get that car as BMW, N.A. feels it might be competition for the already terrifically selling Mini lineup.

Its in a different league to the MINI. The BMW is more in price for a start, and can get a 3.0 engine....

Its slightly bigger than the Golf

Playdrv4me
12-12-05, 06:57 PM
The cobalt isnt bad except for all that damn yellow cloth

Theres no doubt the interiors are improving, but not ENOUGH.

Things that stick out like a sore thumb on the Cobalt...

The seats are NOT supportive and are basically a thin layer of leather over a bunch of foam rather than tightly sculpted. This feels comfy at first but is extremely fatiguing on a long trip...

The steering wheel looks cheap, and its just the regular GM corporate wheel. Nothing jazzed up even a little bit for the cobalt specifically...

The door pulls have that disgusting silver colored plastic around the switches and all the way down the armrest. That stuff gets discolored faster than you can say "Krylon" with sweat and wear from pulling on it. It also tends to come loose over time since its one big part that doesnt have the ability to stretch with the climate.

The HVAC knobs and radio could use a little work also.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-12-05, 06:58 PM
For some odd reason, small hatchbacks from luxury car manufacturers never sell well in the states. For example the BMW 318i, and that M-B C class hatchback were only sold for like 2-3 years. When you realize that you can have a fully loaded Accord coupe V6 for the starting price of a A3, most consumers chose the fully loaded Accord.

Playdrv4me
12-12-05, 06:59 PM
Its in a different league to the MINI. The BMW is more in price for a start, and can get a 3.0 engine....
Its slightly bigger than the Golf

I know that and you know that, but BMW doesnt want to jeapordize that market for any reason. Americans MIGHT end up skipping the mini altogether when they realize they can get a comfy BMW with a BMW badge for close to the same money. It wont be that much more unless they come out with the M1, which will be in the mid 30's to 40's. A loaded Mini can be as much as 28-30k.

mccombie_5
12-12-05, 07:13 PM
I know that and you know that, but BMW doesnt want to jeapordize that market for any reason. Americans MIGHT end up skipping the mini altogether when they realize they can get a comfy BMW with a BMW badge for close to the same money. It wont be that much more unless they come out with the M1, which will be in the mid 30's to 40's. A loaded Mini can be as much as 28-30k.

I can see, the BMW is also faster, having 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 and 3.0 engines

The MINI has a comparitively crappy engine in the 1.6

Maybe if BMW start selling the MINI for what its actually worth they might stand a chance of selling them alongside each other.

Playdrv4me
12-12-05, 08:31 PM
And I take that back, I think the M1 will probably end up somewhere in the 45k range because the M3 is moving upmarket with the V8, taking the place of the M5.

mccombie_5
12-12-05, 08:33 PM
And I take that back, I think the M1 will probably end up somewhere in the 45k range because the M3 is moving upmarket with the V8, taking the place of the M5.

Yeah, with the M5 Having the V10 now

LaneWvr
12-12-05, 09:23 PM
How about the new Mazda Miata.

ben72227
12-12-05, 11:23 PM
It's not practical. She needs a car that she can go grocery shopping in:thumbsup:

RobertCTS
12-13-05, 07:10 AM
How come no one thought of the Yugo?

http://usera.imagecave.com/BobsWork/yugo_rear.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-13-05, 11:33 AM
because god himself hates the yugo :p

RobertCTS
12-13-05, 11:55 AM
because god himself hates the yugo :p

The Yugo is red. Do you think it's a product of lucifer?:devilheh:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-13-05, 02:45 PM
yes, Yugos and ricer Honda Civics are the devil's cars! :devil:
And I do not mean that in the good way!

mccombie_5
12-13-05, 02:50 PM
yes, Yugos and ricer Honda Civics are the devil's cars! :devil:
And I do not mean that in the good way!

NO

YUGOS AND CIVICS SHOULD GO TO HELL

The Devil's car is unfortunately a Cadillac!

DeVille!!!

What else could he drive?

powerglide
12-13-05, 03:10 PM
The Devil's car is unfortunately a Cadillac!

DeVille!!!

What else could he drive?

Yup. Maybe a hearsed and chopped one to boot!

http://www.terrorizerz.com/PN03/PN03_Cadillac_Hearse_Chopped.jpg

gdwriter
12-14-05, 04:43 PM
How come no one thought of the Yugo?

I actually pass one going the opposite direction most days on my way to work. I'm amazed that any of those automotive crapfests are still running, considering it's been nearly 20 years since they were inflicted on American roads.

mccombie_5
12-14-05, 04:52 PM
I actually pass one going the opposite direction most days on my way to work. I'm amazed that any of those automotive crapfests are still running, considering it's been nearly 20 years since they were inflicted on American roads.

they tried to give me one as a courtesy car once, I chose to get the bus.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-14-05, 05:26 PM
What is the big problem with the Yugos? Is it because they're yugoslavian? Were they really crappy cars? Did they have lots of problems? I've heard of them, but I never researched them that much. All I know is that they were made in yugoslavia for like 2 years and they never got any respect.

mccombie_5
12-14-05, 05:32 PM
What is the big problem with the Yugos? Is it because they're yugoslavian? Were they really crappy cars? Did they have lots of problems? I've heard of them, but I never researched them that much. All I know is that they were made in yugoslavia for like 2 years and they never got any respect.

They were built like crap, made of some sort of cardboard, they were as reliable as an argantinian dictatorship, and they were ugly

They rank with the following as the worst eastern European cars ever

LADA
Trabant
FSO Pollonez
and there was another i dont remember

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-14-05, 05:38 PM
Cardboard?!?!?!?!?! :shocked2:

mccombie_5
12-14-05, 05:40 PM
Cardboard?!?!?!?!?! :shocked2:

I think that may have actually been the Trabant, but i dont think it was metal, and if it was, it was thin enough to read through

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-14-05, 05:48 PM
HAHAHA!
(jeez Mccombie, you are quick to respond back :))

mccombie_5
12-14-05, 05:52 PM
HAHAHA!
(jeez Mccombie, you are quick to respond back :))

Yeah, Im trying to find any distractions that keep me from my pending work :D

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-14-05, 05:55 PM
hahaha me too :D

N0DIH
12-14-05, 07:33 PM
When I was stationed in Grafenwhor in Germany, we found an old Traubie (pre wall fall) out not too far from our shop that was "decomposing". Litterally the body was decomposing, and looked much like cardboard. Little flat air cooled 4 cyl, top speed on a good day was 60 mph....

And it cost 30 to 35K East German Marks. So basically your parents ordered the car for you when you were born and starting paying for it, and if you were lucky, when you could drive, it might be paid for and might acutally be made.

The Traubbies were the #1 reasons speed limits were imposed on the Autobahns in 1989-1991 timeframe (when I was there), as they were too dangerous with cars traveling at an average speed of 85 mph, and some, much much faster.

I rode in a Yugo once. The shifter was plastic, for a 4 speed manual. It BENT when you shifted!!! It was scarey! But consider, when they were new, you walked in a dealership and for $4K, drove out. And hopefully, kept driving.... I can't remember the last time I saw one on the road.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-14-05, 07:39 PM
I bet thats the sort of car where the owner pays you to take it!

SilverFleetwood85
12-15-05, 01:07 AM
I'll be the last person here to play the "buy American" card so I hope you take this for an honest comment. I think your post is ridiculous.

What the heck are you talking about. Your comment does not make sense. Before you bash my post make sure yours makes sense :rant2:.