: Air in the cooling system

ErnieE
12-10-05, 04:16 PM
Can anyone here please tell me the best way to get air out of the cooling system of my 97 Catera? I had to drain it to replace the radiator and now I have alot of air in the system. The service manual says it will work itself out but I dont think its going to do that after several days its still giving me problems.

Thanks for any help.
E

jebfrank
12-10-05, 04:39 PM
You need to disconnect what ever is at the highest point in the cooling system, I believe there is a coolant hose that goes to the TB, discconnecting that should get the air out.

Boris
12-10-05, 05:40 PM
If I ever have issues with bleeding the cooling system (a major pain in certain older BMW models) is jack the front end as high as possible. This makes the overflow tank the highest point in the system.

Try getting the nose up higher (a steep drive way will do), fill the overflow tank to full and let it run.
Don't forget to put the heat on as that might have air in the exchanger.

Cat-a-Tonic
12-11-05, 09:05 PM
Taking out the overflow tank is a breeze. No need to unhook the hoses. There's a clip that holds the tank in place located between the fender and the edge of the tank. Pull it out with a pair of needle nose pliers. Push the reservour toward the motor to free it from the two brackets underneath. Flip the reservour over about 90 degrees so you can disconnect the level switch. Lift the assemby up. Now it's the high point in the system. Take the cap off to allow air to exit. Piece of cake. :highfive: