: Bluetooth for Escalades

smoovlatino
12-09-05, 04:34 PM
Anyone have a bluetooth system installed in their Esco? If so, what kits are the best ones to use? I've been looking at the Parrot bluetooth and Motorola.

Do they have a bluetooth that integrates somehow with the OnStar module (so you get sound through the vehicle's speakers)?

:stirpot:

mobi
12-11-05, 12:44 AM
I have a Motorola in my '05 but is not working with the Bose sistem,so i got to install 2 extra speakers.I did this in july and ca.1 month lather the Parrot came on the market.I put Parrot in one of my semi and is the best,but the best thing is this one has the interface for Bose.So my advise:go with Parrot!
Bluetooth is working thru the audio sistem and Onstar is total separat and you cann't use the mic for Bluetooth.You need a extra mic for phone.I install this one next to the Onstar mic and is working just fine,but I have to turn down manually the radio.The Parrot has the mute function,and after all is much better.You have a lot of function what you can acces from the unit.

consejero
05-26-08, 11:46 PM
2002 Escalade Y91 Bose/OnStar
I'm in the process of installing one. It's a "bury" bluetooth for my blackberry. It's awesome however.... I've torn my whole damn escalade appart looking for the elusive mute wire.

here's what I figured out so far. The steering wheel mute button works on resistance.. (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) the bad part is that it uses the same wire for volume, up, down and mute so I can't splice into it although I found that wire. It's the green one under your steering wheel and at the main connector below your radio behind the change/cigarette lighter door. I guess it would be underneath... oh well I've taken everything off starting at the steering wheel, down the stereo, through the middle console and today the rear trim that covers the subwoofer. I'm staring at the Bose amplifier right now on my floor trying to get a schematic because nobody wants to tell me which freaking wire it is without me having to pay $20 bucks for the schematic or $100 for an adapter of some sort. I'm ticked!

Here's what's probably going to happen.. I already bought the schematic at $13.99 through mobileinformationlabs.com... don't use by the way. Tomorrow I'll find out that the schematic does me no good and will still have to buy the $99.99 adapter but wait not before I buy the steering wheel controls I broke from JP customs at $239.

Can anyone please... pretty please with sugar on top tell me which wire I can hook up my bluetooth mute signal wire to so that the radio will mute the way it's supposed to when a call comes in?..... aside from that read on for my installation.

Ok so I'm pissed none the less, I was able to install both the cradle and the bluetooth thingy. Really not that hard.

I removed the bottom trim pieces, yes both, the one with the cigarette lighter and the cd changer... lo and behold there's two tiny speakers there from factory. After some reasearch, I found that these speakers are for the OnStar system. The BT (bluetooth) aparatus I bought had it's own speaker so I just took the wire from that, cut off the end and spliced to the speakers OnStar speakers and chucked the one it came with. This setup is better for three reasons.. They're mounted from factory, they have more base than the little box they sent me and I save space and mounting of the non-oem speaker.
Next was the brain of the system, that fit neetly behind the stock onstar speakers. The system also comes with a microphone, again, I was able to find the OnStar microphon, wich was in the middle of the sunvisors attached to the plastic light/garage door opener housing, so I spliced into that sort of... the one I received was actually a lot better then the OnStar one so I kept the one they sent and chucked the cheezy OnStar piezo mic.
and lastly, I removed the radio and spliced onto the front right speaker for some reason. I don't know why but the instructions told me to so I did. I assume this is so the system monitors the radio and knows when to mute it which is the only thing I've yet to do. The only wire I haven't hooked up yet is the mute wire. read above....yes again! oh yeah, it works fine without the mute.
JR

oldworld
03-15-09, 04:10 PM
Seems like the parrot has some nice items. At least thats what they say at the store.
Anyway, does anyone here have any REAL info on parrot bluetooth in their escalade.
A perfect mounting spot is that small panel above the park assist button.

Really wanted it to work with the existing bose/on star system. Using the existing speakers. wonder what your thoughts were.

THANKS

Tug Boat
03-15-09, 09:38 PM
I have been reading about the Comstar solution, but haven't tried it yet. Basically they take a motorola bluetooth module and wire it into the OnStar system, (you will no longer be able to use OnStar). Seems like a good idea to me.

http://www.costartech.com/index.html

pcguy760
03-16-09, 12:07 AM
I bought my 02 only to find out that the Onstar was basically useless because they upgraded to digital networks - what a bummer. Well then I came across these modules that use the Onstar buttons for bluetooth calling via your cellphone but noticed it was kinda complicating. So I was like forget it and just went with a Pioneer all in one double din Navi/GPS, DVD, CD, Bluetooth, Ipod Integration ALL IN ONE.

This unit has everything I could want - voice activated dialling while linked to your cellphone, voice ipod music search, etc. I have not installed it yet but will post up some pics once I do of the unit in action...

oldworld
03-16-09, 08:59 AM
Just to let you know, although the older versions of onstar were analog, they all now are 100% digital.
For $15, you can go to any GM dealer and have your analog Onstar upgraded to digital. You must also pay for one full year of Onstar service at the same time.

GOTTSPD
03-21-09, 09:26 PM
I bought my 02 only to find out that the Onstar was basically useless because they upgraded to digital networks - what a bummer. Well then I came across these modules that use the Onstar buttons for bluetooth calling via your cellphone but noticed it was kinda complicating. So I was like forget it and just went with a Pioneer all in one double din Navi/GPS, DVD, CD, Bluetooth, Ipod Integration ALL IN ONE.

This unit has everything I could want - voice activated dialling while linked to your cellphone, voice ipod music search, etc. I have not installed it yet but will post up some pics once I do of the unit in action...

But you lose the benefit of your steering wheel control buttons, right?

oldworld
03-21-09, 10:39 PM
I do believe you will not be able to use the steering wheel controls......

big.eds
04-23-09, 06:37 AM
I have been reading about the Comstar solution, but haven't tried it yet. Basically they take a motorola bluetooth module and wire it into the OnStar system, (you will no longer be able to use OnStar). Seems like a good idea to me.

http://www.costartech.com/index.html

Anyone know where the OnStar Unit is in these trucks? I haven't done many mods on my truck but feel thats the BlueStar Solution was the least invasive. Have ordered a unit and am awaiting the plug and play replacement module. From what I've been told from the manufacturer/distributor/inventor Chris from CoStar, the steering wheel button is retained as well as the controls on the rear view mirror, pretty slick and again the least invasive if you don't currently utilize the OnStar subscription service.

Tug Boat
04-23-09, 11:52 PM
Here is a sketch for the Avalanche. I haven't looked, but I'm thinking the EXT is the same.

(1) Instrument Panel (I/P)
(2) Vehicle Communication Interface Module (VCIM)
(3) Cellular Antenna Coax
(4) VCIM Connectors
(5) Navigation Antenna Coax
(6) Digital Radio Receiver (U2K/U2L)

If you want more information, try this link: http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,45752.0.html

big.eds
04-24-09, 05:05 PM
SO i am goign to guess its under the drivers side?

Here is a sketch for the Avalanche. I haven't looked, but I'm thinking the EXT is the same.

(4) VCIM Connectors

If you want more information, try this link: http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,45752.0.html

Tug Boat
04-24-09, 09:26 PM
I haven't looked in my truck, but my read of the diagram is the VCIM is on the passenger side. I can't find instructions on how to get to the VCIM, but found instructions on how to get to the digital radio receiver.

Please keep in mind, I am not an auto mechanic, only a guy with good google search skills and a love of cars. Hope this put you in the right direction.

Maybe someone else can help?

big.eds
04-24-09, 10:07 PM
thank tug

im assuming the the ext and the reuglar are the same inside...
so if the OnStar unit is somewhere behind the glovebox....
there looks to be like two screws below that imma experiment with and hopefully
i FIND this magical unit to plug my newly shipped device...
i wanna get this going ASAP....im so excited...!

Tug Boat
04-24-09, 10:41 PM
thank tug

im assuming the the ext and the reuglar are the same inside...
so if the OnStar unit is somewhere behind the glovebox....
there looks to be like two screws below that imma experiment with and hopefully
i FIND this magical unit to plug my newly shipped device...
i wanna get this going ASAP....im so excited...!

Let me know how you make out. I'm thinking of getting the Costar, just waiting for the Canadian $ to go up in value.

oldworld
04-25-09, 11:03 AM
I saw an infomercial on TV this morning advertising a blue tooth system for any car, with any cell phone. I believe you set to a particular radio station, and you simply answer and incoming call and the sound plays throught the vehicle speakers. Anyone ever hear of this item??
If I heard right it was like $30, and can be used in any car as it is portable.

Next time it comes on, I will pay more attention to it.

big.eds
04-27-09, 04:46 PM
THIS DIAGRAM WORKED FAMOUSLY.

start time 6:05pm PST
finish time 6:19pm PST

my Install process for the CoStar Product.

Step 1 - lower/unlock glove compartment and alllow to fall completely down
Step 2 - look up above compartment (gotta turn head upside down to see) and unplug OnStar plugs/VCIM connectors....they are white and are exactly in the center just above the glove box.
Step 3 - Assemble BlueStart kit (per included instructions) literally plug together and stabilize securely.
Step 4 - Plug VCIM/OnStar connectors to mainboard of BlueStar.
Step 5 - Turrn ignition/ACC on and test (pretty much just works...enough said)
Step 6 - Prolly the hardest part of this install was to find a home for the BlueStar Module. I placed mine just above Item 6/the Digital Radio Receiver. there is a small lil crevice just above it that the BlueStar will fit into perfectly, just make sure to push it back far enough so that the glovebox doesn't collide.
Step7 - reinstall glovebox and tinker with the adjustemnt and enjoy the quality of Built-In Factory Bluetooth (or just as good)

My intial call placed :flawless reception inside the cabin driving 25MPH in the neighborhood. A secondary call was placed while i was on the freeway driving bout 70MPH....both times, caller informed me it sounded just a hint off normal, but very close to actual as i switch back and forth. VERY HAPPY witih the product. Whoever has OnStar and isn't using it....if youre looking for bluetooth connectivity with the least mess...THIS IS IT PERIOD!

My initial call received. The sound and connectivity was incredible. A notice to iPhone users. The HF850 car kit that comes with 7-10 secs before you can actually talk to the person calling, then youre good. I wasn't easy bout it for that first incoming call but the 2nd one I was like whatever about it cause the quality of the sound afterwards. I was willing to put up with it and I need to start reminding my callers...."Hey sorry i am in a car driving, whats up."

***(iPhone users only)***
After reading some other threads from the Net, seems the HF850 from motorola and Apple has some issues with connectivity. I am a mac head and im telling everyone, the BlueStar kit WORKS with the iPhone v2.2! Upon calls received...if you can put up with the delay, THIS IS THE OEM BLUETOOTH KIT FOR YOU that is minimally invasive. Supposedly version 3 of the iPhone software which is floating around/due for release here shortly MIGHT fix the incoming call issue but for what its worth. Im very very very willing to put up with that delay because once you actaully get to talking....eveyrthing is forgotten.

Hands down I would recommend this kit to anyone with OnStar that doesn't subscirbe which I will starting pimping here in Orange County, CA. Tons of socccer moms with escalades that would prolly be shocked they dont ahve to wear a headset anymore.

Thanks Chris for your product! :worship:
and thanks tugboat for the diagram! :thumbsup:

(4) VCIM Connectors

Tug Boat
04-27-09, 10:16 PM
Thanks Chris for your product! :worship:
and thanks tugboat for the diagram! :thumbsup:

Hey Big Ed, glad I could help. Thank you for doing the ground work. Sounds like an install even a hack like me could do.

skills2005
07-08-09, 10:40 AM
I use a wireless FM Modulator. Just plug my phone in thru the 3.5in jack and put it on the radio station required and bam you can talk thru your radio. also it u have music loaded on your phone you can also play it thru your radio. No taking out the radio no wires just one connection and thats from the modulator to your phone.

luxurylife33
07-08-09, 12:40 PM
does the new 3.0 iphone software have a delay? it just came out :)

galaxy1000
12-02-09, 11:01 AM
There is another product on the market, it's called the Galaxy 1000. You do not need any other interface to operate, just unplug onstar, plug in the Galaxy 1000, and pair your bluetooth enabled phone. That's it!! It also uses the GM microphone for superior call quality.

nathanjax
12-02-09, 04:22 PM
CoStarTech has the same thing as the galaxy 1000. I haven't heard a lot of reviews on the galaxy, but a lot of people on other forums like the CoStar piece...

http://costartech.com/pb/products/bluestar.html

bstiffmanofsteel
12-02-09, 08:13 PM
Pioneer Avic F700BT has bluetooth built in... Its double din, Nav, get a pac module and you steering wheel controls work. Nice and simple...

galaxy1000
12-07-09, 04:35 PM
CoStarTech has the same thing as the galaxy 1000. I haven't heard a lot of reviews on the galaxy, but a lot of people on other forums like the CoStar piece...

There is a BIG difference, the costar product requires the use of a Motorola interface and there are warnings about shorting out the unit when "tying" the two units together. The Galaxy 1000 is one self contained unit. I do know our customers are pleased with the sound quality, there IS a difference in bluetooth interfaces, I myself have thrown away more than one Motorola earpiece because the quality (static etc) stunk. That said, I can't say I have used the costar but I can say that I have customers that had tried the costar and are using the Galaxy with great pleasure.

Check us out and remember we are MADE IN AMERICA and give a 100% moneyback guarantee!

nathanjax
12-07-09, 06:55 PM
There is a BIG difference, the costar product requires the use of a Motorola interface and there are warnings about shorting out the unit when "tying" the two units together. The Galaxy 1000 is one self contained unit. I do know our customers are pleased with the sound quality, there IS a difference in bluetooth interfaces, I myself have thrown away more than one Motorola earpiece because the quality (static etc) stunk. That said, I can't say I have used the costar but I can say that I have customers that had tried the costar and are using the Galaxy with great pleasure.

Check us out and remember we are MADE IN AMERICA and give a 100% moneyback guarantee!

What would be the price for one of us?

Mines an 04 Escalade if you need to know make/model...

luxurylife33
12-07-09, 09:00 PM

I would also like to know a price for my 03 Escalade EXT. Thank you!

oldworld
12-09-09, 09:39 PM
COUNT ME IN....what is price?? 03 Escalade

THANKS

galaxy1000
12-10-09, 10:00 AM

They are $249 plus shipping ($10.99) with USPS priority mail (about 2 days) and there is a next day option if desired.

I have heard some feedback (from the CTS forum) that many people have had bad experiences with the other similar products that are out there. We offer a 100% money back gaurantee so that you can buy with confidence.

More information is available at www.galaxy1000.com

mgm32
02-03-10, 03:36 PM
Has anyone tried the Galaxy?

I just bought an '07 EXT on Monday and I'm looking to add bluetooth to it as soon as possible.