: 4 Questions / 93 STS w/ 4.6

mingrey02gt
12-17-03, 12:58 PM
I had to take the car to a mechanic to replace the waterpump. I ordered the tool to remove the pump but I could not break it loose with a breaker bar and 24" cheater. The shop had to replace the entire housing. While putting it back together, the mechanic crimped one of the wires to the fuel injectors. Once that problem was ironed out, I took the car to have a new cat welded in and had flowmasters installed.

First Problem - The car now idles at 1000 rpm while stopped. I believe it used to idle at @750 rpm prior to the shop working on it. What could cause the car to idle 1000 rpm's now?

Second Problem - When I turn the car off the gas pedal ticks (you can actually see it moving) for about 10-15 seconds then it stops. Any ideas what this could be?? Are the two connected?

Third Question - What kind of shocks/struts to you recommend for the STS. Looking to improve on the stock ride and not sure if they have ever been replaced. Are they hard to swap out? Any special tricks I need to now about?

Fourth Question - What kind of spark plugs you use in the Northstar? I am going to tune it up this weekend.

Thanks in advance.

stswillie
12-19-03, 10:13 PM
Use double platinum plugs. The Northstar(dose a 93 have a Northstar?) comes stock with them. These ignitions systems are very pickey. Don't scrimp in the plugs. I have heard that there is a screw that changes the idle speed. I am not sure though. Good Luck

growe3
12-19-03, 10:26 PM
If you want I can send you images of the service manual that will tell you how to set the ISC (Idle Speed Control). It is all done from inside the car through the on board dianostic panel.

(Four .jpg files about 200kb each)

-George

mike98c
12-19-03, 11:56 PM
If you want I can send you images of the service manual that will tell you how to set the ISC (Idle Speed Control). It is all done from inside the car through the on board dianostic panel.

-George

mingrey02gt
12-24-03, 02:28 PM

-George

That would be great George. My email address is mingrey02gt@sbcglobal.net. Thanks

Sean McDonald
12-24-03, 02:32 PM

-George
If I could also get a copy of that I would really appreciate it! My e-mail is turboes@excite.com Thanks in advance!

mingrey02gt
12-31-03, 03:09 PM
I tried the procedure and it didn't work. Did some more research and determined that the vacuum hoses to the cruise control module were hooked up wrong. I also changed out the throttle position sensor. Runs fine now and the flowmasters sound good!! :D

lido
01-03-04, 05:04 PM
I tried the procedure and it didn't work. Did some more research and determined that the vacuum hoses to the cruise control module were hooked up wrong. I also changed out the throttle position sensor. Runs fine now and the flowmasters sound good!! :D
Just wondering how did your mechanic fixed the pinched wires to the fuel injection?Did he replaced the whole harness,there is a connector at the bottom of the intake manifold but I think the harness is part of the fuel rail assembly.I would check it closely if he connected the wires right it is color coded.