: California forces another native Californian business to close.

HotRodSaint
12-08-05, 10:10 PM
More and more business are leaving this state, and others are choosing to close. Didn't someone get the memo? Jobs create workers and workers pay taxes, no jobs no taxes. I guess it's no big deal if surfboards are made in Australia or Asia, but at what point will the government realize they need to work with business, not against them?

Gordon "Grubby" Clark, who with surfboard pioneer Hobie Alter invented the foam and fiberglass process that made surfboards lighter, faster and more responsive, stopped production and sales from his Laguna Niguel factory on Monday after 44 years in business.

In a seven-page letter to suppliers seen by Reuters on Wednesday, Clark cited weariness in a lengthy battle with environmental regulators over the manufacture of the foam blanks, or rough surfboard shapes, that go inside about two-thirds of U.S.-made surfboards.

"For owning and operating Clark Foam, I may be looking at very large fines, civil lawsuits, and even time in prison," Clark, 73, said in the letter.

Clark said authorities in California and Orange County, where his factory is located, were waging an ever tougher crackdown on the company's use of a toxic chemical called TDI, which can cause breathing problems.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051208/od_nm/life_surfing_dc

ben72227
12-08-05, 11:29 PM
Well, uh, you DO live in the Social Republic of California:rolleyes:
Move to Arkansas if you don't like it. Our governor will get down on his knees & brown nose to get a business to come here...:rolleyes:

airbalancer
12-09-05, 08:29 AM
Is TDI that dangerous?
I want house lined with asbestous, but I can not get it.
If abestous enclosed it is not dangerous, but the in the factors many people got ill and died.
So lets have another Love Canal or Sydney Tar Ponds http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/05/12/canada/tarponds_20041012
an Canadian problem( just for you HRS :thepan: :highfive: )

Lets screw up the area and have future generation pay to clean up the area.

tstach
12-09-05, 12:18 PM
authorities in California and Orange County, where his factory is located, were waging an ever tougher crackdown on the company's use of a toxic chemical called TDI, which can cause breathing problems.

"...which can cause breathing problems if not used properly by someone without the proper safety equipment and ventilation." is maybe how it should read.

I'm sure that if handled properly, like say gasoline for instance?, there would be no issues.

According to:

http://www.lyondell.com/html/products/products/tdi.shtml

"Toluene Diisocyanate (TDI)

TDI is an isocyanate used in the production of polyurethanes for flexible foam applications ranging from furniture, bedding, and carpet underlay, to transportation and packaging. TDI is also used in the manufacture of coatings, sealants, adhesives, and elastomers. We sell TDI in Europe under the Scuranate brand. In the Americas, we sell TDI as TDI-80."

isocyanates are used in automotive finishes in the form of hardners for acrylic enamels and polyurethanes.

Lets shut all the body shops down too while we're at it.

Kev
12-09-05, 12:47 PM
Move to Arkansas if you don't like it. Our governor will get down on his knees & brown nose to get a business to come here...:rolleyes:Not too sure that surfboards would sell real well in Aransasafras.... :duck:

Elvis
12-09-05, 01:53 PM
Move to Arkansas if you don't like it. Our governor will get down on his knees & brown nose to get a business to come here...:rolleyes:

As opposed to your PREVIOUS governor, who managed to get OTHER people down on their knees... ;)

ben72227
12-09-05, 05:34 PM
Well, we actually had another one after THAT one, so he wasn't the previous...Jim Guy was the previous (he succeeded Clinton when Clinton became president) he had to quit though because he was a convicted felon...:lildevil:

HotRodSaint
12-09-05, 06:01 PM
Lets screw up the area and have future generation pay to clean up the area.

I'm not really sure they sell enough surfboard blanks to create any kind of toxic waste area. Besides, what surfer in their right mind contaminates the water? We all know that what goes down the gutter, ends up in the ocean.

But hey, the Chinese don't surf anyway so let's send all of this business to them, where no health regulations exist either.

Then we in the west can pay to clean-up their environment with a UN global tax!! :highfive:

powerglide
12-11-05, 05:22 AM
Too bad.....Clark foams is/was the shiznit.