: Hcvone

genovese45
12-08-05, 12:59 PM
Hey what's up? I tried to PM you but for some reason it didn't work. My question on the plat grill is, Can that painted piece come off? Can I order any color one, and swap painted pieces rather than getting the painted piece painted that wraps around the bottom of the grill? Thanks again in advance.

slk230mb
12-08-05, 01:09 PM
You need 50 posts for the PMs to work.

You could replace the outer shell with the one off your truck, but the tabs that hold it in are plastic things that look like they have been melted over to hold it to the whole grill. If you carefully grind off the tabs on both your grill and the one you order, then you could just swap them. I have no suggestions on how to get the shell attached to the platinum center section.

hcvone
12-08-05, 01:58 PM
Steve answered your PM question, thanks Steve :) I just looked at my stock grill in the basement, as Steve said getting the center grill section out is really no problem, the problem would be getting the new center section to stay in place because you have to grind or melt the plastic tabs off to get it out, then you would have nothing to attach with. Maybe a body shop (that would do the painting) may have an idea, I personally think painting it would be the way to go.

loanman
12-08-05, 02:12 PM
I bought just the egg crate piece without the colored shroud around it from some guy on ebay so that I could paint it black and install on my truck without having to leave the truck there for 2 days to paint. I ground off the plastic tabs and swaped out the stock one for the painted one and once snapped in place I took 5minute epoxy ($3 at home depot) and put it in each of the slots where the pegs came through, let dry and installed and all is well! The epoxy holds 1200lbs it says so I don't think I need to worry about it coming off! Hope this helps.

genovese45
12-08-05, 06:07 PM
Thanks you guys were great help.