: 64th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor

thu
12-08-05, 02:07 AM
64 years ago today was the "Day that will live in Infamy".

Jesda
12-08-05, 02:34 AM
Lenon's dead too. I hate the Beatles, but Lenon's alright.

Kev
12-08-05, 02:36 AM
My grandparents, mother and aunts were there.
My grandfather was a Captain in the Army, they were in enlisted quarters next to Hickam Field because there was nothing available in officer's quarters.
My mother was only 3 years old and only remembers eating cold cereal under the dining room table (actually, the neigbor's dog ate the cereal, it was the only time it was friendly to her).
My grandmother remembers peeking out the window and seeing a zero fly by so close she could see the pilot's face.
They put matresses against the windows to protect from shattered glass. There was nothing to protect them from stray bullets and bombs, fortunately they were able to avoid them.

My grandmother has never seen the movie "Pearl Harbor", she doesn't need to go through it again.

Sandy
12-08-05, 07:54 PM
Mr Mother's brother was killed there. This answers the question why we don't do Japanese cars.

Kev
12-08-05, 10:08 PM
Mr Mother's brother was killed there. This answers the question why we don't do Japanese cars.Very understandable Sandy. One of the great old guys I had the privilage to apprentice under was a Marine in the South Pacific. He felt the same way about Japanese products. All the hand-to-hand combat he survived and memories of his buddies who didn't left a life long negative impression on him toward the people and their products.

Sandy
12-08-05, 10:54 PM
I can't say that it's any negitive feeling towards the Japanese people of today, because it isn't. What it IS ~ ~ is in fact out of my "comfort zone" outta respect and graditude towards my late Mom's hardships and pain, in other words outta memories & understanding. {Difficult to put into words}

medicz28
12-08-05, 11:01 PM
When I was in the Navy, I sailed there aboard the USS Missouri for the 50th Ann.. It was pretty impressive.