: Recirculation mode not working

Cadillade
12-08-05, 01:59 AM
Hi,
I have an '05 EXT and I was able to use the recirculation mode in the summer since I bought it in June. But, now when I wanted to use it, the button flashes 3 or 4 times then off. It was acting progressively worse before where I thought the truck has to be warmed up in order to use it. So, now I have to turn off the climate control to prevent foul exhaust fume in traffic.

Is there something I can do myself if it is a easy fix before visiting the dealer?

Thanks.

womsterr
12-08-05, 02:01 AM
Not really a fix it yourself job. Generally I think they're just swap the headunit with the connections. Its under warranty - getr done! ;)

Good luck.

slk230mb
12-08-05, 08:56 AM
Mine only blinks when I have the defroster on, then it wont go in recirculation mode at all. Take it in, it should be under warranty.

hcvone
12-08-05, 09:13 AM
You may already know this, or maybe not, from the owners manual: If you select recirculation while in defrost, defog or floor, the light on the button with flash and go out to let you know this is not allowed. :)

ewill3rd
12-08-05, 09:16 AM
I don't remember the specifics, but if the light flashes and goes back out that means the controller will not allow recirc in the mode you are in.
You can manually change the mode to allow recirc but in auto mode there are times where it won't let you turn that feature on..... crazy, I know.

Recirculation Operation
The HVAC control module controls the air intake through the recirculation actuator. The recirculation switch closes the recirculation door in order to circulate the air within the vehicle. The outside air switch opens the recirculation door in order to route outside air into the vehicle. Regardless of the blower motor switch position, recirculation is available only in the panel and bi-level mode switch positions. Including the OFF position. The mode switch must be placed in either the panel or bi-level position before the blower motor switch is placed in the OFF position. In order to reduce windshield fogging, outside air is circulated when the mode switch is in the defrost or defog positions. If the recirculation switch is pressed into the ON position when the mode switch is in an unavailable mode position, then the recirculation switch LED will flash 3 times. If the HVAC control module detects a fault with the recirc door the HVAC control module will try to drive the actuator for a predetermined amount of time, to outside air, which is the defaulted position for the recirculation actuator.

When it's in auto mode it changes automatically, when the A/C is on, like in the summer the recirc button always works, but in the winter the program for heat puts you in a different mode and recirc can be inhibited in what seems like the exact same situation. The engineers do this stuff for lots of reasons.
Just manually change it to one of the modes listed above and then hit recirc and you'll still be okay. It's not broken, just weird.

Fast Eddie
12-08-05, 11:46 AM
Stupid is more like it, It is by far the worst feature in the truck. Anytime I need to hit recirc it is b/c there is a plume of smoke about to get sucked in, by the time I figure out which mode to switch to it is too late. When I hit recirc it should change the mode to automatically allow it to work, even if for only a short time...

ewill3rd
12-08-05, 12:22 PM
I can't argue with you there.
Engineers do weird things. I am sure they have some reason that they feel is paramount to having it work that way.

mikeee
12-08-05, 01:27 PM
Yeah this is one of those things that drove me nuts! I had to push the "change air direction" button first, to point directly at me, then the circulation button light will stay on.

Heres what I did to fix this (not that it needs fixing, just the way it is):

I set the air flow directly at me, and then saved the memory seat button to that setting. Now when I get in, its already away from defrost and floor, and all I have to do is push circulate.

hcvone
12-08-05, 02:00 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

loanman
12-08-05, 02:37 PM
nice Idea!

Samboosa
12-09-05, 09:45 AM
Yeah this is one of those things that drove me nuts! I had to push the "change air direction" button first, to point directly at me, then the circulation button light will stay on.

Heres what I did to fix this (not that it needs fixing, just the way it is):

I set the air flow directly at me, and then saved the memory seat button to that setting. Now when I get in, its already away from defrost and floor, and all I have to do is push circulate.

Won't work with 05's. Seat memory stores nothing but the seat position.

mikeee
12-09-05, 10:43 AM
Won't work with 05's. Seat memory stores nothing but the seat position.I didnt know that. My 03 does and I assumed the feature stayed.

Maxin
01-15-06, 06:19 AM
I searched hoping to find a fix for this as well....and find this thread.
This is just as stupid as the auto climate mode set to heat, blowing COLD air through the vents if temp drops below the temp you set. Its winter, I dont need cold air coming in, there is enough outside. Most cars simply just stop blowing air once you reach the set temp, then gently turn back on if the temp drops lower. The lade must be tying to get the exact temp, by alternating between blowing cold and hot air.... :rolleyes:
I sometimes just use the rear heat system as its non auto controlled.
Caddy should slap the engineer who designed the auto climate control system for the lades.