: Sound Deadening 101 w/ Pics

ssmith100
12-07-05, 08:45 PM
Didn't want you guys to think I haven't been doing anything on the stereo project. I've still got a ways to go but most of the deadening is done with multiple layers in places. JL's are mounted in front doors with a lot of deadening and tweeters are now installed in pillar pods. Crossover network for doors is mounted and all wiring is ran. Template for the 1/2" MDF board to help support the rear deck is done. It's going to turn out very nice. Both the 300/4 and 500/1 are going to mount perfectly on it. I'll keep updating but here are a few before and after pics.

Shane

Parker
12-07-05, 10:48 PM
Holy shit thats alot of work!!! Ill give you a holla when I come back to Htown next weekend. Looking good!!

Dreamin
12-08-05, 01:49 AM
:worship:
:cookoo:

urbanski
12-08-05, 07:19 AM
do the undersurface of the deck lid too, it rattles like a tin can :)
otherwise....you've taken the King Dynamatter title from me :p
where's the damplifier?

ssmith100
12-08-05, 08:50 AM
Urb,

Going to do under the decklid this weekend. There is some deamplier in the trunk right now but I wanted to do under the decklid first. I have a long ways to go to take the deadening title from you.

Shane

urbanski
12-08-05, 09:28 AM
i want new tweeters, too, when you get it all figured out :)
i can best describe the bose ones as brassy, harsh, and horrible :D

b4z
12-08-05, 12:07 PM
Sooooo.... how many pounds of dynamat do you have in your car?

urbanski
12-08-05, 12:26 PM
the shipping weight of 36sq ft of dynamat xtreme was 20lbs.
can't find the actual data but I suspect the gallon of deadener was similar.
the asphault-based Lowes product is thin and weighs appx 1/2 of dynamat.
bet it all adds up to less than the weight of the spare tire i have in me trunk :)

ssmith100
12-08-05, 12:30 PM
b4z,

I've got a bulk pack of Dynomat Extreme and a bulk pack of Second Skin Deamplier Pro in the car. It's going to add about 40 pounds to the car but will be worth it. All the small rattles I had and the resonance from my B&B are now gone. Car is very quiet.

Urb,

These would be a good choice for tweeters for your pillars.
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2937

Shane

trekster
12-08-05, 12:49 PM
Hey, does anyone know how much dynamat I need? I'm planning to replace my speakers with mb quarts and buying a box so I can add in 2 12's, and a amp to my car. Am I going to need any special adapters of some sort to hook all this up?

urbanski
12-08-05, 01:25 PM
don't ask me about adapters.
but i can tell ya about dynamat.
12 sq ft was enough for 4 doors with maybe 70% coverage. 20 would have been better.
36 sq ft was enough for under the rear seat, along the rear wheel wells, B and C pillars, and a small part of the trunk floor. Absolutely need another 36 to finish the trunk, A pillars, better door coverage, and other various parts. You'd need another 36 still if you plan to rip out the front seats and do under the carpet.

edit: and that's just 1 layer :) I have 3+ under the seat, and 2+ in the trunk

trekster
12-08-05, 01:59 PM
don't ask me about adapters.
but i can tell ya about dynamat.
12 sq ft was enough for 4 doors with maybe 70% coverage. 20 would have been better.
36 sq ft was enough for under the rear seat, along the rear wheel wells, B and C pillars, and a small part of the trunk floor. Absolutely need another 36 to finish the trunk, A pillars, better door coverage, and other various parts. You'd need another 36 still if you plan to rip out the front seats and do under the carpet.

edit: and that's just 1 layer :) I have 3+ under the seat, and 2+ in the trunk http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=12655 Is this the biggest size dynamat carries? If it is I might as well buy 5 boxes lol. Where did you buy your dynamat? Isn't there a thread that gives you the instructions to remove the seats and how to install the dynamat?

-Gilbert

ssmith100
12-08-05, 02:20 PM
Gilbert,

The best thing to do if you want to do all the doors and the rears is to buy two bulk packs. If you want to go the Dynomat Extreme route Woofersetc has the bulk pack for a good price. I bought one of these and then bought a bulk pack of the Second Skin Damplifier. I actually like the damplifier better as far as working with it goes. It is a lot cheaper too. Links for both below.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1344

http://secondskinaudio.com/products/

Shane

trekster
12-08-05, 02:28 PM
Gilbert,

The best thing to do if you want to do all the doors and the rears is to buy two bulk packs. If you want to go the Dynomat Extreme route Woofersetc has the bulk pack for a good price. I bought one of these and then bought a bulk pack of the Second Skin Damplifier. I actually like the damplifier better as far as working with it goes. It is a lot cheaper too. Links for both below.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1344

http://secondskinaudio.com/products/

ShaneShane, Let me get this straight....So I should buy 2 bulk packs of xtreme and do the doors and rear then buy 2 packs on the damplifier and set it on top of the dynamat?
Excuse me for being such a:banghead: or are just saying to one or the other and just use one sheet?
-Gilbert

trekster
12-08-05, 02:32 PM
damn double post!

urbanski
12-08-05, 02:37 PM
damplifier you buy off thier site
dynamat-x from ebay :)

and gilbert, i believe shane means 2 bulk packs would suffice :)
but remember, bulk dynamat is 36, damplifier is 40, per pack

trekster
12-08-05, 02:41 PM
damplifier you buy off thier site
dynamat-x from ebay

and gilbert, i believe shane means 2 bulk packs would suffice
but remember, bulk dynamat is 36, damplifier is 40, per pack
Thanks for the info.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
This is a really good article on all the sounddeadners on the market and damplifier takes the win for highest quality then dynamat xtreme comes in 2nd.

ssmith100
12-08-05, 02:52 PM
What Urb said. If I had to do it over again I would buy two bulk packs of damplifier.

Shane

urbanski
12-08-05, 03:03 PM
GUYS!!!!
Damplifier Pro is on sale!
http://secondskinaudio.com/products/specials.php

get it now! I just bought 36 ft. lol
Its like freakin 50 bux off.

edit: gilbert get like 2-3 of those! it's thicker than dynamat xtreme and way cheaper, 17 bux shipping compared to 35 on ebay.

trekster
12-08-05, 04:22 PM
Thanks, I just picked up 3. How long did you guys take you to install the dynamat?

urbanski
12-08-05, 04:43 PM
AAHAHA oh man

here's my one thread man
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57764

Ripping the car apart, especially when its your first time, including the doors takes hours man. Just the rear seat and 4 doors took me like 8 hours. Then I took 8 more on another day to do the trunk/rear seat. That's just my latest layer...have about 2 more under that :D
That does NOT include any stereo install, Shane did all that.
Oh, wear gloves :p

My advice...pick a 3-day weekend and spend every living hour working on it.

urbanski
12-08-05, 04:47 PM
Urb,

These would be a good choice for tweeters for your pillars.
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2937

Shane
I hope you pick up some more Pro on sale man

Questions:
1. http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2937
will those fit into the void left by the stockers without needing mounting fabrication?
2. will they be too loud like we talked about last night?
3. just hook the wires up and go?
4. do i need anything else?
5. how were the roads there this morning :p

:cheers:

ssmith100
12-08-05, 05:14 PM
Just ordered some more Urb. Don't know where I'm going to put it, but sure I can find some place. :yup: Thinking I may double up the doors. The tweeters should fit fine. I'll explain to you how to mount them when you get them. Shouldn't need anything else. There 2 ohm like the factories so they should be fine. Cold Michelins on cold roads = lot's of wheel hop.

Shane

urbanski
12-08-05, 05:25 PM
thanks
there's a cheaper set on ebay :D
SOLD
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-INFINITY-KAPPA-10-7t-1-MMD-TWEETERS_W0QQitemZ5837302466QQcategoryZ14943QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

urbanski
12-08-05, 05:37 PM
meh dammit
paid TX sales tax on the tweeters, dangit
should have searched more...just jumped at the cheapest

oh, and Anthony shipped that damplifier already :D dude, that's 2 hours after i ordered it!!
i plan to e-mail to guy to join this place

Mat347
12-08-05, 08:14 PM
the shipping weight of 36sq ft of dynamat xtreme was 20lbs.
can't find the actual data but I suspect the gallon of deadener was similar.
the asphault-based Lowes product is thin and weighs appx 1/2 of dynamat.
bet it all adds up to less than the weight of the spare tire i have in me trunk :)

I have a bulk pack of dynamat xtreme and it is at least 40 lbs...cant go by the shipping because mine said 10lbs(saves shipper some $$). I bet you put well over 100 lbs using that much, especially 3 layers?

I'll weigh my box and update....I was hesitant to even put one box in my car due to the weight. Just remember, 100 lbs pretty much equals one tenth in the 1/4. It also hurts you in the turns too!

Update: Maybe I stand corrected...Their website shows Dynamat Xtreme to weigh .45lbs / sq in. Wich means the 36sq ft bulk pack only weighs 16.2lbs...I just find that Xtremely hard to believe lifting that box, specially since I work out with two 35s.

trekster
12-08-05, 09:29 PM
meh dammit
paid TX sales tax on the tweeters, dangit
should have searched more...just jumped at the cheapest

oh, and Anthony shipped that damplifier already :D dude, that's 2 hours after i ordered it!!
i plan to e-mail to guy to join this place Damn, that was fast! I just checked out my e-mail and already have a tracking number.
-Gilbert
I should be getting it early next week.

Urb, did you also buy a roller to install the damplifier?

urbanski
12-09-05, 07:24 AM
Damn, that was fast! I just checked out my e-mail and already have a tracking number.
-Gilbert
I should be getting it early next week.

Urb, did you also buy a roller to install the damplifier?
no
you know what I use....the back end of my utility knife!! That and gloves are all you need. Cut it, turn the knife around, press it in :)
ssmith100 just uses his fingers.

demjjm
12-09-05, 01:27 PM
Very nice work!! I am running 4 JL 6's in a custom fabricated fiberglass box, built into the bottom of the rear tailgate on an 02 Escalade. It looks close to being a factory option and I lost no space. I am running planet audio mids and highs, but I just ordered the JL xr650 csi's to replace the planet audio. What JL component sytems do you get?I decided to keep the factory head unit, so my steering wheel controls, rear controls, and onstar stayed intact. I also left the 2 console speakers, and the 2 rear upper pillar speakers, to keep the onstar unit intact.

Up to this point the only sound deadening I had to run was in the rear of the truck, but I have a feeling I will need to add some to the doors when I install the JL component speakers.

slk230mb
12-09-05, 01:58 PM
Very nice work!! I am running 4 JL 6's in a custom fabricated fiberglass box, built into the bottom of the rear tailgate on an 02 Escalade. It looks close to being a factory option and I lost no space. I am running planet audio mids and highs, but I just ordered the JL xr650 csi's to replace the planet audio. What JL component sytems do you get?I decided to keep the factory head unit, so my steering wheel controls, rear controls, and onstar stayed intact. I also left the 2 console speakers, and the 2 rear upper pillar speakers, to keep the onstar unit intact.
Up to this point the only sound deadening I had to run was in the rear of the truck, but I have a feeling I will need to add some to the doors when I install the JL component speakers.

Some pics of this in a new thread in the Escalade section would be awesome if you could do it.

urbanski
12-09-05, 06:01 PM
the damplifier pro says "Damplifier Pro was overbuilt to over perform. At 90 mils thick with at heat shield 4 mils thick, it is the thickes, strongest constraint layer mat we make! With a heat tolerance of over 500 degrees it is the most durable, powerful damping mat on the market. "

I may put a bunch under the car/on the firewall engine side, see what happens. The cheap lowes stuff along the tunnel is sticking fine.

Guys with free air subs....ever stand outside the car with the sub pumping....that damn rear deck rattles alot, but with the speakers on inside you can't tell. Any ideas other than more damplifier to decrease that? And let me just say I'm glad I don't have a 'Lade...you'd need 500ft of this stuff :p

JRoller
12-10-05, 08:03 PM
Guys with free air subs....ever stand outside the car with the sub pumping....that damn rear deck rattles alot, but with the speakers on inside you can't tell. Any ideas other than more damplifier to decrease that? And let me just say I'm glad I don't have a 'Lade...you'd need 500ft of this stuff :p[/quote]

I put 2 cans of triple expanding foam from Home Depot in the deck lid. There's a ton of empty space between the inside and outside panels, and the panes are so thin, it's was distorting every bit of base I had. Between that and the dynomat, I added about 20 pounds, but no more rattle..... That foam is an adhesive though. If it starts to expand out, it will make a mess hard to clean up.

trekster
12-12-05, 05:52 PM
I just got my damplifier today! does anyone have a link on how I can remove the doors, rear seats and trunk?