: After market wheels/tires: Driving/Cleaning in the snow

brett79
12-07-05, 01:29 PM
I have almost alway taken my wheels off for the winter, but it is becoming such a pain, that I am considering leaving them on this winter.

I have 22's with Kumho tires, and the say M+S. Has anyone had any experience with these tires in the snow? If so, how do they perform?

I know that the salt will eat and pit the rims, but what if I clean them pretty consistently? I park in a building garage, with no hose, but im thinking I could just break out the super soaker and a sponge and clean the salt off in about 10 minutes.

Thoughts?

hcvone
12-07-05, 02:50 PM
Many SUV tires say M&S but they are usless in the snow, the stock Escalade tires are M&S rated, and they are the worst in snow. Keeping the salt off the wheels is the key to keeping them in good shape, a few coats of a synthetic wax will offer good protection as well, the cleaner you can keep them the longer they will keep looking good.

csmooth79
12-07-05, 03:06 PM
I agree with you that it is a pain, and keeping them clean immediately after they get out of the snow/salt is the way to go. I personally wont drive in the snow/salt with my rims, but to each his own. I will admit though that in the northeast we had a scare, but I just stayed in the house :hide: til the roads cleared up.

Oh, and you could always drive ur "Better half's" car if the snow isnt too bad.:lildevil:

hcvone
12-07-05, 07:17 PM
With a good jack and if you have the place to store them, removing them is the thing to do.

dnyce617
12-08-05, 10:07 AM
The key to keeping you rims in good shape over the winter is to not use them. Salt will ultimately kill them and driving is 100x better with your stocks. Wide, low-profile tires tend to float over snow rather than cutting through to the pavement. Take them off, you'll be happy you did.

loanman
12-08-05, 01:49 PM
I guess 24's would be like driving sleds on the snow! :eek:

brett79
12-08-05, 02:05 PM

This is going to be fun!:want:

hcvone
12-08-05, 02:16 PM

It depends on where you live and drive, I have many customers in south Jersey that have no trouble because there are no hills, where I live and drive you would be in trouble. :)

csmooth79
12-08-05, 03:44 PM
This is going to be fun!:want:

Didnt take mine off yet either, and we are supposed to get 8" of snow here tonight. Guess you wont be alone.

Synergetic
12-09-05, 03:50 AM
I would never drive low pros on the snow. Your just daring to make a mess. Upgrade your brakes and get a set of stock platinum rims. Your going to *uck up your current rims and tires and be out more money than if you just went out bought a used set of rims/tires.

99escalademan
12-09-05, 12:08 PM
I took my 20's off in early november before the first snowfall. I stop even better on stock 17's because I had brembo's put on while I had the 20's.

brett79
12-09-05, 12:24 PM
I drove around on the snow/wet/ice today ....my Kumho's are money! Im not wasting my time taking them off for the winter!

brett79
12-09-05, 12:25 PM
Unless someone wants to trade me. I will trade my 22's for a nice set of off roading wheels and tires. I always wanted to put those on anyway. I want something different than 22's.

Trade anyone?

jldz
12-09-05, 04:59 PM
I'm going too take my 20's off and put the stock wheels back on for the winter up here in Alaska ;Have'nt had any problem with the stock tires ...knock on wood

blingblingcv
12-11-05, 12:16 AM
I never took my 20s off for fours years. Well they started corrouding. I recommend taking them off. I always cleaned the salt off. Be smart and take them off.

Synergetic
12-11-05, 12:44 AM
I drove around on the snow/wet/ice today ....my Kumho's are money! Im not wasting my time taking them off for the winter!

Did the Kumho's handle well in the snow? My 24's have never seen or touched the snow, so I wouldn't know. Last weekend in Tahoe, it was super easy to slide in the BMW which we put the stock rims and tires on before, so I assume its more difficult to drive on low profile Kumho's.