: I need a new cell phone

Elvis
12-06-05, 11:14 PM
My old Kyocera Palm phone is dying a slow, ugly, painful death.

I've been with Verizon with the same number for 15 years, won't be changing, and I don't have any problem committing to them for another two years.

I don't need the PDA/phone combo anymore. I don't want a camera, but I guess I won't have much choice.

I think I've settled on this one:

http://www.mobiletracker.net/archives/images/CDM-180.jpg

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=2001

Any thoughts or suggestions?

mnext02
12-06-05, 11:17 PM
NO! samsung t809, comes out next monday. T-mobile. is going to be hotter than the razr. just as slim, way more features!! its going to be hot!!

danbuc
12-06-05, 11:23 PM
I just got the Motorola E815 last friday after upgrading from my old Motorola T730. I's not the thinnest phone out there, but with speakerphone, and bluetooth, it works just fine for me. It's also alot more durable than the thinner phones otu there like the razer which are much more likely to break if dropped.

Playdrv4me
12-06-05, 11:33 PM
NO! samsung t809, comes out next monday. T-mobile. is going to be hotter than the razr. just as slim, way more features!! its going to be hot!!

Somehow I get the feeling Elvis is not looking for the next "hot" phone... Also Cingular and T-Mobile only have "EDGE" for high speed data which is sub-par when compared to Verizon and Sprint's EVDO (Evolution Data Optimized) which is nearly 300k down and 100k uplink speed. Its true portable broadband in metro areas.

Elvis, nothing wrong with Verizon, Im with them currently after switching from Sprint. I have a PDA Phone with EVDO service and I love it, I would recommend though that you get a phone that is at LEAST V-Cast compatible (the flip phone version of EVDO that is cheaper) for the future. It doesnt mean you have to sign up for EVDO now, but once you know all it does you may very well want to connect to a laptop with it one day.

I would recommend the Motorola E815, or the awesome LG VX9800. Those are also both Bluetooth compatible. Frankly you can just pick up the cheapest V-Cast phone (I believe 99.99) and be done with it. They are all decent quality phones by Samsung, LG and Motorola.

slk230mb
12-07-05, 12:32 AM
I just got the Motorola E815 last friday after upgrading from my old Motorola T730. I's not the thinnest phone out there, but with speakerphone, and bluetooth, it works just fine for me. It's also alot more durable than the thinner phones otu there like the razer which are much more likely to break if dropped.

I've had the same phone since September, I love it. I had a the correct motorola cable from a previous phone so I seem hacked it and got full bluetooth capability. Currently that means adding ringtones of my liking at will.

SpeedyArizona
12-07-05, 12:38 AM
I've been with Verizon for as long as I can remember, never had any major problem except for a minor glitch in one of the phones I had. Cell phones seem to always be "improving" (if you can call it that) by getting smaller and more advanced. I really like my phone http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=1589

It's the LG VX4700, it has nothing very fancy, but I really don't need anything. One of my friends has a $400 phone that is a PDA also, but he has horrid reception on it whereas my phone works nearly everywhere.

By the way, what plan do you have? I personally like the America's Choice Plan with Push to Talk and 1350 minutes.

danbuc
12-07-05, 01:01 AM
I've had the same phone since September, I love it. I had a the correct motorola cable from a previous phone so I seem hacked it and got full bluetooth capability. Currently that means adding ringtones of my liking at will.

Yeah, I liek it alot. I picked up a Bluetooth headset with it as well. I think Im gonna get a 256 Mini-SD card for it. My buddy said that you can load MP3's on it, and use them as your ringtones, since I think it uses an MP3 format to begin with. I don't have the PC cable for it, and I'm too lazy to get one, even though it would most likely be much cheaper.

ben72227
12-07-05, 01:04 AM
I prefer Motorola phones myself - nothing like supporting an American electronics brand:thumbsup:.

Besides, the t809 is a SLIDER phone, not a flip phone. It has an always-exposed screen, and it doesn't even have voice dialing:confused: I mean, even the cheapest, no camera, monochromo motos have voice dialing...:nono:

And the RAZR still has those numbers that are etched into the metal...the t809 is okay, but it's just not RAZR-hot....

Cingular and Alltel are the big ones here, since Alltel is local...I have Cingular, and I've found since the AT&T buyout/merger, they've just gotten better. You can now get one of the RAZR phones for like $99 when you sign up with a Cingular plan...the other good Moto out right now is the V557, it's more traditional, but still great...:thumbsup:

Jesda
12-07-05, 01:30 AM
http://www.neimanmarcus.com:80/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod26060093&parentId=cat6810731&masterId=cat000547&index=1&cmCat=
Five grand.

The pink version of this phone costs $800 more. This is why women aren't allowed to be president. *ducks, runs* :D
http://www.neimanmarcus.com:80/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod26060098&parentId=cat6810731&masterId=cat000547&index=9&cmCat=

Elvis
12-07-05, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the info, everyone. I'll certainly check out the model numbers you've suggested. I may even buy something today, it depends on whether I get a few other projects completed this afternoon.

I'm stuck with Verizon. My business has all of our accounts with them and the history goes back for 16 years when they were called "Cellular One." I've had a phone for 15 years and my customers all have my number on their speed dials. I'm not going to put anyone else through any changes just so I can have a Razr. (although I'd LOVE to have one)

I just have a basic plan, 450 minutes is more than enough. When I get a call, it's like an emergency page and the conversation only lasts two or three minutes. The rest of my communication takes place via e-mail and instant messaging.

Blackout
12-07-05, 03:26 PM
Whatever you do, do not get a Motorola!

Elvis
12-07-05, 03:28 PM
Whatever you do, do not get a Motorola!

Why do you hate America so much? :histeric: ;)

powerglide
12-07-05, 03:33 PM
I think you'll like the camera!

I dont go snappin pictures here and there but I find it very useful to attach a picture of the person to the phone book entry.

that way when it rings, it flashes the pic of the person calling you....I find it very neat!

Elvis
12-07-05, 03:36 PM
It would be fitting to buy a Japanese phone on Pearl Harbor Day.

Blackout
12-07-05, 03:36 PM
Why do you hate America so much? :histeric: ;)I've owned 3 Motorola's and all have been the biggest POS cell phones I have ever owned. After my contract is up with Cingular I am going to Verizon and getting myself a Samsung(<--Best cell phone I have owned)

Elvis
12-07-05, 06:33 PM
I just got back from the Verizon store.

They suck.

I looked closely at the Motorola E815. I liked it, but it didn't knock me over.

I looked VERY closely at the LG VX9800. I like the idea of two displays and a QWERTY keyboard. But it was damn expensive.

Then they told me that pretty much any PDA phone I wanted, I would have to pay an additional $20 a month for service because they're "broadband" phones or some such nonsense.

So in order to replace my old Kyocera 6035 Palm phone that had hot-synch capability with two different PC's and gave me a complete directory and datebook reminders, I have to commit to spend at a minimum $480 additional.

That SUCKS.

THEY SUCK.

F#@( THEM!

It turns out that the first phone I posted in this thread is available only on-line. So I ordered it.

I'll buy a pocket PC or handspring or something that doesn't have a phone later. I still have my old Palm M100 from a few years ago and it works fine. I'll use that until then.

F$#K VERIZON!

Playdrv4me
12-07-05, 06:46 PM
Dude, you dont have to pay for the broadband service if you dont want it, BUT you wont get the extra 100.00 discount if you dont.

I take it you probably looked at the Audiovox XV6600 which I have, and the Samsung SCH-I730 which I tried out for a little while. They are both terrific phones. They also have the Palmone Treo 650, but its not Broadband compatible.

powerglide
12-07-05, 06:51 PM
Huh....wife just called and said her phone fell in the toilet....great, now WE are shopping for a new phone....JEEZ!

we use sprint, and let me tell you the selection REALLY sucks...i WISH I had verizon.

Only bright spot is we have a $150 rebate because we've been a client for 2 years.....they call it an upgrate rebate. Isn;t there something like that for you Elvis?

Playdrv4me
12-07-05, 07:00 PM
Huh....wife just called and said her phone fell in the toilet....great, now WE are shopping for a new phone....JEEZ!

we use sprint, and let me tell you the selection REALLY sucks...i WISH I had verizon.

Only bright spot is we have a $150 rebate because we've been a client for 2 years.....they call it an upgrate rebate. Isn;t there something like that for you Elvis?

PPC6700!!!

OffThaHorseCEO
12-07-05, 07:05 PM
hello,

try to hold out for a lil while, then you can buy a RAZR with verizon

RAZR's (RAZR V3) were originally GSM only, which meant you had to go thru t-mobile or cingular to get one, well now the new version, the RAZR V3c is cdma, which means companies like verizon, us cellular, alltel can get it now

its already been released for alltel, and from what ive read verizon should be releasin in time for the holidays, so hold out just a lil and since you dont mind signin for 2 more years, you should be able to get yourself a new RAZR for a good price

OffThaHorseCEO
12-07-05, 07:06 PM
actually.....

its available

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=790005

danbuc
12-07-05, 07:12 PM

Verizon has that $100 rebate when upgrading. Your lucky thoguh now, since Sprint never used to have a rebate program. You would have to call and bargain with them, hoping they could cut you a deal or something. AT least now, they've caught up with other carriers, in that they have a rebate program for long time customers. As you said though, the phone selection is still somewhat limited with sprint, not to mention that 90% of the phone are usually the same shade of silver.

As for the RAZR, verizon is close to introducing it's version in another month or so.

Kev
12-07-05, 07:16 PM
As for the RAZR, verizon is close to introducing it's version in another month or so.It is available now online. If you follow OffThaHorseCEOOffThaHorseCEO's links you will see it.

powerglide
12-07-05, 08:06 PM
PPC6700!!!

Nice phone! Its freakin $500 AFTER rebates.....my laptop I just bought was $533 delivered. So I'm gonna have to slide waaay down the ladder to something that costs about 300-200 before I apply my 150 rebate.

Elvis
12-07-05, 10:13 PM
The thing I'm mad about is that I went in there to buy a $69 phone, but once I saw the Treos and Blackberrys I completely changed my mind and I was ready to go ahead and spend the $250-$300 to get one. I was SOLD!

And then I got the crap about paying AT A MINIMUM $59 per month rather than the $39 I've been paying. And my files from the Kyocera/Palm phone aren't compatible--THEY have to convert them and download them FOR me.

So there IS no equivalent or replacement for what I have--without paying an additional $480 over the next two years, plus $250-$299 up front, plus a $35 new phone activation fee they get just because my old one DIED!

Technological improvements are supposed to make things COST LESS, not more. I'm better off running a five-year-old Kyocera black & white LCD than I am upgrading to their new stuff with THE SAME DAMN FEATURES!!!

Playdrv4me
12-07-05, 10:26 PM
Yea, I see where you are coming from. I am paying 80.00 a month right now. Which consists of 40.00 a month for the base 450 Minute package, and 40.00 a month for the PDA Broadband package... HOWEVER... what makes it semi-palatable for me is that I get a 20 percent Bank of America discount, which translates to roughly 16.00 off that 80.00 a month figure, which ends up being right at about 65 bucks a month... not bad for the freedom it gives you.

Elvis
12-07-05, 10:57 PM
Yea, I see where you are coming from. I am paying 80.00 a month right now. Which consists of 40.00 a month for the base 450 Minute package, and 40.00 a month for the PDA Broadband package... HOWEVER... what makes it semi-palatable for me is that I get a 20 percent Bank of America discount, which translates to roughly 16.00 off that 80.00 a month figure, which ends up being right at about 65 bucks a month... not bad for the freedom it gives you.

There was a time when I needed that kind of power and flexibility away from the office, but I don't anymore. I'm sure it's a valuable package for the right people. I'm just not one of them anymore.

I'm in cost-cutting mode with my company, and I worked too hard to cut about $300 of fat per month over the past two years to add $20 that casually.

SpeedyArizona
12-07-05, 11:12 PM
the base 450 Minute package,

Only 450 minutes? I'm thinking of upgrading my package from 900 minutes to 1350. Am I the only person that uses their cell phone as their primary phone?

Playdrv4me
12-07-05, 11:52 PM
Only 450 minutes? I'm thinking of upgrading my package from 900 minutes to 1350. Am I the only person that uses their cell phone as their primary phone?

I could never see needing more than 5 or 600 minutes in a month and it IS my primary phone. Another part of that is I do most of my talking at night. I dont think Ill ever have a home phone again tho, thats for sure.

Sprint is running a promotion with free incoming calls now, thats something that had all but disappeared for awhile.

I also have a Nextel given to me by work.

Blackout
12-08-05, 07:33 AM
Screw the RAZR! My Motorola V551 is the same thing as the RAZR but its not flat. So I'm sure that thing probably has just as many problems as mine does

Elvis
12-08-05, 11:10 AM

I occasionally went over 100 minutes when that was the max. Since they upped it to 200 with the basic package I've never had a problem. I HATE to talk on the phone. 400 seems impossible to break for me, so when the girl tried to get me to commit to the new package yesterday I just said "forget it, I'll do it on line." I think that pissed her off.

I'll give Verizon credit, if they determine that a piece of equipment is CRAP, they'll pull it from the shelves. That's what they said about the first Razr, and they told me that Verizon had an exclusive on it at first.

That's also the reason I had a black & white Kyocera 6035 rather than the color Kyocera 7135. They wouldn't sell it to me even though it was supposed to be the hottest newest thing in 2002. It had given them too many problems.

powerglide
12-08-05, 01:05 PM

Yup, my primary line too.
Actually my wife and I share minutes on the fair and flexible plan.
We get 850 anytime minutes and free calls to all other SprintPCS members.
Luckily most of my friends are PCS users so we almost never use all the minutes.
But we come close. And when those rare ocassions that we blow into the 4 digits of usage, we know that the plan adds minutes at a super low rate instead of the bullcrap overage 4- cents a minute or whatever they used to charge.

Elvis
12-14-05, 09:56 PM
It has arrived.

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/image/news/UTstarcomCDM180.jpg

Not a bad little phone, but the camera appears to be useless unless I'm willing to pay the $5 per month "Mobile Web 2" fee.

I'm still a little pissed off about the fact that Verizon decided my old Kyocera 6035 Palm phone needed a rate increase. Of course it's obsolete, but the replacement products not only will cost me > $200, but they also want an extra $20 per month to provide the same functions.

Then today I found out that I can't even use the remote e-mail check on a "per use" basis. Under my old contract it cost me something like .50 cents or $1 every time I checked my e-mail. I only needed it once a month. Now they want a flat $5 for this service.

Verizon SUCKS. And this isn't the first time they've screwed me like this.

terrible one
12-14-05, 10:11 PM
Well guys, I was just informed that I was eligible to upgrade to a RAZR for 40% off, which was on sale right now, which came with a $30 mail in rebate, so I went ahead and got it in black. Pretty cool phone!

powerglide
12-14-05, 10:21 PM
Congrats Elvis!

I just got back from the sprint store to get my antenna fixed and was considering upgrading to a LG bluetooth phone for $70 (after my $150 coupon)....then I saw this:

http://img.engadget.com/common/images/3060000000053646.JPG?0.7603488780524813

Samsung A900.....freakin sweet!

It comes to $200 after rebates which is way more than I want to spend....but now I WANT IT!

Luckily the saleswoman was extremely annoying "You like it?? You want it?? Huh? Huh? Huh? You buy now?? You buy?? Huh?" I felt like I was in Beijing swap meet.....I walked out.

Playdrv4me
12-14-05, 10:29 PM
Thats not a Verizon only thing Elvis. All the wireless companies are trying to reduce or eliminate "per use" services and force everyone on nice compact flat rate planning that doesnt require customized billing for each use of a given service. Not all of them, but most of them.

Alltell just went WAAY up my scale... they just got the new PPC6700! That really puts them on the map for me.

The Razr is getting whored out all over the place right now. Verizon is offering it again, now with EVDO V-Cast service for 199, Cingular sells it in Best Buy stores for 69.99 and Tmobile has it on the cheap sometimes as well. And to think I almost paid 400.00 for it back in the day when it came out, and they were ALREADY reducing it back THEN.

I think I paid 299 for my XV6600 and thats still what it costs right now.

terrible one
12-14-05, 10:54 PM
The final price on mine was like $20

powerglide
12-14-05, 10:57 PM
Playdrv whats your thoughts on the Samsung A900 (aka the Blade)?
Reviews are mixed, some mention glithces and something about battery problems...

Playdrv4me
12-14-05, 11:02 PM
You will never see me talk down a Samsung, they along with Sanyo are some of the best phones in the industry without a single doubt. That is a market they really have cornered as far as reliability and durability as well as signal strength. LG is next in line, but usually is trails far behind in signal quality.

I checked the A900 out at Best Buy and the screen quality is excellent. I could see battery life possibly being an issue with a screen that size, but otherwise I liked it

Terrible-One... that was a great deal for that phone. Well done.

powerglide
12-14-05, 11:17 PM
The annoying woman at the store was really pooopooing LG.
"cheap crap" she called it.... in fact the LG phone I was considering PM -325
http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/PhonesAccessories/PhoneDetails.jsp?navLocator=%7Cshop%7CphonesAccess ories%7CpicturePhones%7C&selectSkuId=lg325&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1476311&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_SCID=ECOMM&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_PCode=None&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_cartState=group&bmUID=1134616509563
has everything I need for a thrid of the price but it felt really quite cheap and flimsy...especially the slider keypad.