: Driveshaft

lasstss
12-06-05, 03:33 PM
Any of you gents near Ontario California??

keeksv
12-06-05, 05:11 PM
Marty:

I think Barak lists Ontario, CA in his sig., or try lawfive.

eric

Luna.
12-06-05, 05:56 PM
I have family that live in Chino (right next to Ontario), so I'm there somewhat frequently. And yes, Barak is located in Ontario I believe.

lasstss
12-06-05, 06:13 PM
I have family that live in Chino (right next to Ontario), so I'm there somewhat frequently. And yes, Barak is located in Ontario I believe.

OK, here's the deal, we need a donor to go to Inland empire driveline to see if they can come up with a one peice carbon or aluminum driveshaft for the V.
I was goig to pull mine and ship it to them but its a pain and expensive.
If someone wants to volunteer?.... I believe their shop is in Corona.

They make quality shafts at reasonable prices. I have had a few.
My preference is aluminum..

http://www.iedls.com/

BowenCT
12-06-05, 07:19 PM
Wasn't BMR doing a carbon fiber drive shaft for the V?

CVP33
12-06-05, 07:23 PM
Wasn't BMR doing a carbon fiber drive shaft for the V?

BMR no longer makes one for the V. In fact, other than the proto-type I'm not sure they ever sold one. I did read of one GTO that blew apart their BMR CF driveshaft. BMR stood by the customer on this case.

urbanski
12-06-05, 08:09 PM
that's because it cost over a grand right?

Barak
12-06-05, 08:31 PM
Lastss,

I'm less than 3 miles from them. Do you know how long they would need the car for?

BowenCT
12-06-05, 08:59 PM
that's because it cost over a grand right?

Yeah, I think it was something like eleven or twelve hundred bucks......

ace996
12-06-05, 09:18 PM
Sorry to jack, but the thread does have a heading of DRIVESHAFT, but...
There should be a way for us to replace the rubber isolators. At minimum, with polyurethane...better-poly molded around a steel innard...best-steel or aluminum.
I was looking at the shaft, where it joins the T56 tailshaft, and was amazed at the beefy chunk of rubber there.

Really, a CF driveshaft will be big bucks...aluminum would be MUCH cheaper. It should be a great change, but I'm not sure the benefit would be so great without a solid flywheel.

Again, sorry to jack.
-ace

Barak
12-06-05, 10:20 PM
It should be a great change, but I'm not sure the benefit would be so great without a solid flywheel.

Without the center support bearing we should pick up about 2% more horsepower. It depends how much you are willing to spend for 2%.

04CTSVFLA
12-06-05, 10:22 PM
I told my dealer today when I dropped my V off...to take a look at my driveshaft response: "i dont think thats what it is...since we have never had any problems with them before" :bighead:

They service maybe 2 other V's.....how bullshit of a response is that!!!! :banghead:

Have alot of you had your driveshafts replaced bc they got ****ed up???

lasstss
12-06-05, 10:50 PM
Lastss,

I'm less than 3 miles from them. Do you know how long they would need the car for?

Well, they have to put the car up , take a length measurement, look at the connection points. The object is to go to a one peice shaft. This 2 peice thing is from the 60's I dont know what the Idea was. It certainly isnt that long. My boat 96 impala had a one peice. If they can come up with something you would probably get a good discount or a freebie and the rest of us would get a reasonable price on a light shaft. The big issue is clearance. The shaft on the V is very small in diameter.

Personally, I dont trust carbon fiber for impact loading.

Give it a shot, nothing lost. If possible, get a pic of the BMR connections and bring it with you.

Dreamin
12-07-05, 12:41 AM
:yeah:

I todully agree... aluminium is the way to go... i dont know why GM went with 2-piece in the first place :confused:

GAGS-V
12-07-05, 12:46 AM
Barak, I could go also, just minutes away from you. It will probably void all of our warranties though...

Barak
12-07-05, 01:21 AM
Lastss,

Have you spoke with anyone at IE driveline about this?

Gags,

Maybe we can find some time in the next few weeks to make it down there. Let me know how your schedule looks.

obzidian
12-07-05, 02:02 AM
any new info on this?

lasstss
12-07-05, 10:09 AM
Lastss,

Have you spoke with anyone at IE driveline about this?

Gags,

Maybe we can find some time in the next few weeks to make it down there. Let me know how your schedule looks.

I called them but basically they said they couldnt do anything w/o a shaft or the car so I went no further. I would make an appointment as se what you can do. This would be a sweet group buy. With proper attachment, would help reduce weight and any vibration.

trekster
12-07-05, 11:09 AM
I will be willing to do it if barak backs out depending on two conditions one being that I need to know how long are they going to need the car for and if they're willing to hook me up with a free driveshaft. :)

-Gilbert

magda
12-07-05, 03:31 PM
Just some thoughts...

I am sure that GM did not select a two-piece propshaft because they enjoy paying for all of the additional components required above and beyond a single piece. There are many critical engineering reasons behind deciding propshaft configurations: Joint angle, packaging, and CRITICAL SPEED.

The aftermarket CF prop that was discussed previously that desintigrated after 3 miles - was this due to a lack of strength (poor design) or due to the propshaft hitting its first harmonic at high speed (extremely poor and irresponsible design), or heat breaking down a low temp resin (pathetic design)?

This would be interesting, because there is not much room in the V tunnel for a big propshaft. The V prop has to be designed for 7000rpm+, which means crit speed is very important (prop rpm, not engine). To fit down the tunnel the prop will be skinny, which means bad crit speed capability, which means exploding props.

The desire to replace the prop is something I do not really understand, but I find the willingness of aftermarket people to supply potentially dangerous single-piece props frightening. Anyone who has had a prop come apart on them at high speed will know what I mean.

hereby ends my humble opinion.

lawfive
12-07-05, 04:52 PM
Hi Guys,

Been off the air for a couple of days, and will be off the air again tomorrow...

Barak's closer, but I'm damned close. I can't figure out from the posts above whether anybody has stepped up yet. My daily schedule is mostly under my control, so I'll drive over there as long as they don't have to disassemble much stuff.

Barak: let me know what you decide.

LV_V
12-07-05, 04:56 PM
Find out what kind of warranty they will be offering (on the part) if and when this part is made available.

Mat347
12-07-05, 05:18 PM
I would be weary about going to a one piece unless it was CF due to the above stated critical speed. GM went with a two piece because we have a double overdrive tranny and 3.73s gears. This equates to a drive shaft that spins quite fast. Ever notice the slight, pulsating vibration at highway speeds? This is the driveshaft, this vibration will only be made worse if we had a one piece.

obzidian
12-07-05, 05:48 PM
I feel that cadi's decision was more along th elines of trying to eliminate any unwanted noise or vibration that might be transmitted into the cabin. THerefore, having all sorts of rubber bushings everywhere. Why not but apolybushing for the shafts? I still dont get it. Also, weight could of been a concern/issue and they flet the thinner two piece would be best.

Its all about cost or porduction versus profit.

Now, an aluminum driveshaft can be fabbed but its overall diameter will have to be increased. Im a bit unsure of strapping a composite unit under my car, but aluminum i would do. Im sure that the factory exhaust, teh resonators, would have to be replaced in order the fit the new shaft but a little modification never hurt anyone. If the yokes are properly designed and the materials used are adequate, than we should have a reasonble alternative to the clunky two piece.

lasstss
12-07-05, 06:53 PM
I would be weary about going to a one piece unless it was CF due to the above stated critical speed. GM went with a two piece because we have a double overdrive tranny and 3.73s gears. This equates to a drive shaft that spins quite fast. Ever notice the slight, pulsating vibration at highway speeds? This is the driveshaft, this vibration will only be made worse if we had a one piece.

I would agree except that my turboed impala with a 4L60e with one OD shifted at 7500 rpm. No vibration at all. They should be able to balance beyond 10K.

There is sone very strong aluminum alloy out there. 6061 aint it! 7075 would be nice.

Mat347
12-07-05, 08:02 PM
I would agree except that my turboed impala with a 4L60e with one OD shifted at 7500 rpm. No vibration at all. They should be able to balance beyond 10K.

There is sone very strong aluminum alloy out there. 6061 aint it! 7075 would be nice.

I know first hand that aluminum is better than steel in this area. But moving from a two piece to a one piece with our limited space (limiting the diameter of the shaft) would make me wait 'till there were some unbiased reviews before making a purchase. If I remember correctly, all things being equal..aluminum will get about 800 more RPM before critical speed was reached.

lasstss
12-07-05, 08:35 PM
I know first hand that aluminum is better than steel in this area. But moving from a two piece to a one piece with our limited space (limiting the diameter of the shaft) would make me wait 'till there were some unbiased reviews before making a purchase. If I remember correctly, all things being equal..aluminum will get about 800 more RPM before critical speed was reached.

This is true, the tunnel in the V is small, hence the small shaft. Lets see what the experts say.. Lawfive/Barak...your'e on! Get a story from Empire.

GAGS-V
12-08-05, 12:10 AM
Barak and lawfive let's go do it together and then we will be able to get back to everyone with what's up. What do you guys think?