: Anyone know anything about gps

MrSmith
12-05-05, 11:19 PM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/safetyandsecuritycenter_1872_442495

Im looking at this on the net. anyone used it before??

http://store.yahoo.com/safetyandsecuritycenter/garetleggpsh.html

Stoneage_Caddy
12-05-05, 11:26 PM
havent used that one yet , i got me a magellan , only thing that lets me down is the lack of street maps , shows hghways but no individual streets ...

but it works for what i need from it , itll get me "unlost"

like my taste in women , i seems to have lost my sense of direction ....

EcSTSatic
12-05-05, 11:42 PM
I use my Garmin eTrex on the boat. It tells me how fast I'm sailing and how to get back to the marina. Handy at night!

Mine isn't as fancy as the one you are looking at - just basic compass directions.

MrSmith
12-05-05, 11:43 PM
I want one for when I travel from one state to another. I want correct directions, google and mapquest are ok but I want to try one of these.

whats it look like.

Night Wolf
12-06-05, 06:59 AM
Heh!

someone JUST posted the very same qustion on the Grand Am site....

so being lazy that I am... I'll simply copy and paste :)

---------------

Garmin Etrek Legend. It is about $150, then the software for al the highly detailed roads and stuff is like another $100 but WELL worth it.

I love mine, living in Clearwater, FL I don't have a big use for it, but for trips, or out in the woods... or off-roading when I get the Jeep... it is great.

I can search for anything when the Map Quest stuff is loaded up... if I want Itanlian food, just go to search, food, restaruants, Italian, then it'll give me a list of all places close to me, I can go thru the list, click one it'll give the name, address and phone number of the place along with how far it is from me and directions to get there.... all that right on the little unit... it is like that for EVERYTHING.

I highly reccomend it!

http://www.buysourceone.com/new/new_garmin_images/etrex_legend_gps.jpg

http://www.buysourceone.com/new/garmin_etrex_legend_gps_receiver.htm

I had mine going on the NY-FL trip.... it is fun on planes too... I had it going from Hawaii-New York, and it would show me were I was over the ocean and how far etc...

For the trip I had the trip computer mode set to large display (so you only see 4 sections) then on the top, my vertical speed... just because that was cool, then my final distance... not to Clearwater, but to the hotel for the night, then my speed, which is nice since my speedo is not accurate above 60mph, and finally the heading.

The amount of stuff you can do with this is amazing though. highly reccomend it :)

http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20222

--------------------------------

Yes, the memory is 8MB.....

it is enough for me..

basically with the mapping software you load up certin counties that you would like ALL the info for. It comes with a base map loaded up... whole USA, Canada and Mexico IIRC... all the major roads and cities etc...

the mapping software adds EVERY single road... even dirt country roads back at home! then on top of that tells you sooo much information.

But that takes memory... obviously in NYC you would not be able to load up too much because so much is within a small area... but back in NY I was able to get about a 60 min radius around my house of it...

But lets say you are going on a road trip from, I dunno.... NY-FL if you lived in NY, you already knew the area, so no need to load in detailed maps... you are spending the night in NC, but not familer with the area, so you load up the county map for that area into the GPS, now as you approach the hotel, you'll get all the details, little roads, places to eat, get gas, any store or place to get food, parks, theaters etc... then you can load up the maps of your destination.

to simply use it and go it dosn't take long at all... if you get the extra mapping software (comes with PC data cable and car kit) it will take a little longer to really use everything, but well worth it.

it tells you sunrise/set, best times to hunt and fish so many things... you can "tag" ANY spot, save it an use it for reference later. Lets say you are in an unfamiler area and don't want to get lost from home, hotel, friends place, whatever.... go in the driveway, mark it as a way point... no matter where you are, it'll show an arrow pointing to the direction of the location, and how many miles it is.

You can se up multiple leg trips... like NY-Ohio-NC-FL, hell, even trips around the state, or town... but just as an example.

So the first leg would be NY-Ohio... but the final destination would be FL, so on the trip computer you can have it tell you arival time, total trip time, total distance remaining and more of both your current leg, and the final destination, on the trip computer part you can change any of those fields to ANY of this, and put it in small numbers (as shown on that other picture) and you can see a whole bunch more.

It has a backlight too, that is nice. Batteries last a long time too, I saw a car adapter (kit dosn't come with one0 but it was $45, I dunno... I think I'll keep using batteries for now.

I know once I get the Jeep and start off-roading out in wherever, it'll be very handy... I just hope it will not be too outdated by then, but really, it'll do the same thing it does now, and that is plenty for me.

I never used it when *I* went flying, there was no need, it was all local flights, but on commerical planes, it is cool, I load it up with all flight stuff (vertical spd, elevation, course, bearing, speed etc...) and put the destination in... it is cool to see it cruise at 588mph, then go to the map and zoom in and see yourself zooming across the states :)

This particular GPS is not made for avaiation.... it is more so for hiking/biking or trips in the car, it is a rugged unit, water proof, floats, has the rubber case.... and I bought the road software, you can also buy water software to give you everything you would need to know for boating, that is cool too.

ah, this is making me want to use mine more and more now :)

------------

Hope this helps :)

ewill3rd
12-06-05, 07:14 AM
I have a Magellan also. It's Gold something or another :D
I forget.

Anyway, I REALLY like it. As for street level detail, I bought the optional disk that gives you excellent detail and even topography (if you are a hiker).
You can only load a certain area of street level detail onto it but I find that more than adequate for most trips I have taken.
It's a little bit of work but well worth it in my experience.
I use mine to get around when I get to my destination, not so much to make sure I get there right.

Be sure to visit places where retail customers can post reviews and see how each unit compares to the other. I have heard bad things about the cheaper Garmin units, didn't do much research on the one you posted there.
I think the bill on mine was around $350 with the software.
I used some award dollars from a GM testing program so it didn't hurt too bad.
An award that has helped me a lot!

MrSmith
12-06-05, 05:16 PM
Heh!

For the trip I had the trip computer mode set to large display (so you only see 4 sections) then on the top, my vertical speed... just because that was cool, then my final distance... not to Clearwater, but to the hotel for the night, then my speed, which is nice since my speedo is not accurate above 60mph, and finally the heading.

ah, this is making me want to use mine more and more now :)

------------

Hope this helps :)

It sounds like you like it. It tells you how fast your driving also? thats great because I dont think mine is right above 60 either. And you say it tells you from NY - FL before the data update or do I need the update before the trip?

ewill3rd
12-06-05, 06:41 PM
Also mine keeps a "track" of where I have been, I can upload it to my computer and then play it back in real time to see how fast I was going.
I can profile my elevation for the entire trip also.
Then with my profile displayed I can do a mouse over and it will show me on the map where I was when I was at that altitude. It has features to add waypoints and build a "trip" but I have never used that feature.
I can't say anything bad about the other one, but I really love my magellan.
It has several displays and one of them is an analog speedo type thing.

I am sure the Garmin has similar features.
I think you have to have the Topographical software package for some of that.

turbojimmy
12-06-05, 07:00 PM
I have one of these and I love it. It comes with a 128Mb SD card that I swapped out for a 1GB card. It's easy to use and with a 1GB card you can store all of the US and Canada.

Garmin C320:
http://www.garmin.com/products/sp320/

Jim

powerglide
12-07-05, 02:06 AM
I use a Navman PiN.
Its a full color PDA running windows pocket pc with built in GPS navigation with 3D graphics and voice guidance. It also sweet because the antenna is built in and it stands alone wihtou any wires etc. The price is right at $400. Never let me down yet and I drove cross country with it. Added bonus, it comes with Microsoft Word, Excel, etc. Games, Video Player, Music player, picture viewer, etc. I think its the best sleeper GPS device out there. (in this price range)

http://www.navman.com/land/images/products/pin/PIN_200.jpg

http://www.navman.com/land/products/pin/#pin

Jesda
12-07-05, 06:46 AM
From what I have been told by people who can afford such cool toys, the TomTom system is the way to go for in-car GPS navigation.

powerglide
12-07-05, 11:49 AM
I heard that about TomTom as well. And I tried them both.
Navman PiN beats the crap out of TomTom by a long shot IMHO.

I think TomTom just has a much better marketing plan/budget.

The PiN has been around for at least 3-4 yearsand people never heard of em...

Elvis
12-07-05, 02:26 PM
I have an OLD Magellan. Not sure why I wanted it, it doesn't have road maps or anything like that. I can get accurate speed and distance readings, as well as elevations, but I rarely need any information like that.

I did discover how to download maps and load waypoints and intersections from those maps, but I've never actually used it as a navigation device on the road. As I get back into fishing I may use it for that.

Night Wolf
12-07-05, 08:21 PM
It sounds like you like it. It tells you how fast your driving also? thats great because I dont think mine is right above 60 either. And you say it tells you from NY - FL before the data update or do I need the update before the trip?

Yeah, it tells you your speed.... the most accurate you'll ever get too.

Yup, it'll tell you time remaining and miles remaining on a trip from NY-FL... as long as the city is part of the factory memory, you can select it... its alot of the really small country towns that are not in it unless you use the mapping software, but even then, they are usually 15mins from a larger city that is in it.

Going to Hawaii, I never loaded up the Hawaii maps, but my friends city (Kona) was in it, so I selected it, and watched the miles count down :)

JC316
12-08-05, 01:56 AM
Quick question. I am looking at the Garmin street pilot I3 for my directionly challenged sister. Can you program new addresses while it's in the car, or do you have to pre program your destination before you disconnect it from your computer? Can you do this with any gps unit?

turbojimmy
12-08-05, 06:02 AM
Quick question. I am looking at the Garmin street pilot I3 for my directionly challenged sister. Can you program new addresses while it's in the car, or do you have to pre program your destination before you disconnect it from your computer? Can you do this with any gps unit?

I'm not sure about the I3, but you can with the C320. You can type an address in while you're moving and hit GO! and it will tell you how to get there or you can type in a new 'favorite' to store.

Most manufacturers, Garmin included, have PDF versions of their owners manuals on their websites. I downloaded a bunch before I settled on the c320.

Jim

ewill3rd
12-08-05, 06:40 AM
My Magellan has database information loaded for whatever regions you upload to it, meaning you can input street addresses, destinations and waypoints in at any time. It's a little easier with a keyboard but I can't imagine that any manufacturer would require a PC connection to put in such things. I'd say yes, but with no first hand experience on the unit you are talking about.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
12-08-05, 07:11 AM
I have a Garmin ETrex:

http://www.garmin.com/graphics/eTrexBig.jpg

For wlaking aorund it's only of use with regards to finding your way back to somehwere you've already been.
It draws a line on the map screen (bear in mind there is no actual map, just a blank screen that it draws a line on etch-a-sketch stylee) so you can obviously work out an alternartive route back by heaidng in the general direction of where you started.
I got a serial cable for it and bought some £40 software for my laptop and then I had full street maps with turn by turn voice directions for navigation.

It was the cheapest way to get that sort of sat nav at the time.

I now have a Navman 510 which is an all in one unit that takes 128MB SD cards loaded with maps. I get street level maps for the whole of the UK and main roads of Europe.

http://www.navman.com/land/images/products/icn510/icn510_face_300.jpg

Frankly, it pretty much blows.

I've found several errors in the maps (on my way to work it keeps tellng me to turn left into a non existent road at one point, and later on it tries to make me turn down a side street that is now a dead end. If I ignore it and keep driving it will insist on recalculating a route back to that dead end street for ages before it finally gives up and comes up with a proper route)

Finding the satellites even from warm start can sometimes take an age for no apparent reason.

I have to keep resetting it.

Turns put it actually uses embedded Windows... Explains a lot.

It's ok but only becuase it's available cheap now, in fact it's about the cheapest one you can buy.
The Tom Tom ones are better I'm told but they are cube shaped which means you can't put them in your coat pocket too easily.

As a tip, make sure you take the unit away with you when you leave the car, don't just put it in the glovebox.
AND THAT APPLIES TO THE CRADLE TOO.

I have 2 friends who had their cars broken into because the thieves saw the cradle on the screen and figured most people are lazy and would leave the item in the glovebox.

MrSmith
12-08-05, 11:16 PM
Although I think I want this, Im wondering if the display is big enough to look at in person. :thepan:

I suppose so If its made to look at for directions:shhh:

But is there any color or just the color on the display. Regardless, I still think I like it. I may get one for a Christmas gift for myself.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/safetyandsecuritycenter_1872_442495

MrSmith
12-31-05, 08:41 PM
OK I got one for Christmas:bouncy:

I cant figure out how to get directions from here to there though.

I need help.

How do I put in an address and then have a map shown to me. I have this one

Night Wolf
01-01-06, 01:44 PM
OK I got one for Christmas:bouncy:
I cant figure out how to get directions from here to there though.
I need help.
How do I put in an address and then have a map shown to me. I have this one

Sweet, same one I have.

You need to buy the $120 Map Source/ car kit stuff before you'll get the full featured maps.

I heard you can download the MapSource software, but then you still need the data cable, and the car kit comes with the mounts and brackets for the car.

MrSmith
01-03-06, 06:51 PM
Sweet, same one I have.

You need to buy the $120 Map Source/ car kit stuff before you'll get the full featured maps.

I heard you can download the MapSource software, but then you still need the data cable, and the car kit comes with the mounts and brackets for the car.

I have the cable. do you know were the MapSource download is?

c5 rv
01-03-06, 07:38 PM
Take it back and get the Quest or Quest II instead. The quest is designed to be be an auto GPS first, and also have handheld use if needed. It comes with the map CDs and you don't need anything else. I think the Quest II holds the whole country. On my Quest, I put in part of the country and load other maps if I travel to another part of the country.

http://www.garmin.com/products/quest/

MrSmith
01-04-06, 11:22 AM
I cant afford the Quest at this time. maybe when I get some more funds:burn:

whats the difference in these

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/11/12/99/61/07/1112996107580_AV2_500X500.jpg

and

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/11/12/99/61/07/1112996107580_AV1_500X500.jpg

looks like they do the same thing. just the metro guide gives more detail of the city streets. is that right??

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3302151&cat=0&type=1&dept=4125&path=0%3A4125%3A55315%3A450717&xsell=3308544

c5 rv
01-04-06, 07:24 PM
The Mapsource Topo maps are topographic maps for off-road use such has hiking, mountain biking, etc. The Metroguide maps are for on-road route planning, navigation, locating addresses & restaurants, etc. Buy the one that matches what you will be using the GPS for.

SpeedyArizona
01-04-06, 07:49 PM
what happened to using a map:cookoo:

MrSmith
01-05-06, 09:09 AM

nothing, but Im out on the road alot and Im in different states often. Its not convenient for me to lug around street maps of each city Im in. My wife thought it was a good Idea. I agreed. I think Its what I need to help me get from one address to the next. does that make any cense?

turbojimmy
01-05-06, 10:07 AM

Carrying around street-level detail maps for everywhere you may travel just isn't realistic. I was using Mapquest for a while. Printed out the route and took it with me. That gets you from point-A to point-B but doesn't tell you what's in between. Once you use one of these things you'll wonder how you did without it. Unlike a map you can search for addresses and businesses (it even gives you phone numbers). If you run into traffic or problems you just hit the 'detour' button and it gives you an alternate route. Low on gas? Hit the gas button. Hungry? Hit the food button. Want to go home? Hit the home button. They instantly give you directions from wherever you are to wherever you want to go.

Jim

Night Wolf
01-05-06, 12:00 PM
I know, its so nice!

put starting address and ending address into the MapSource software on the PC, it gives you the route (which you can modify) then load it into the GPS and it'll tell you everything, when to turn how far away, estimated time of arival, time of trip.....soooo nice :)

MrSmith
01-05-06, 02:19 PM
Not only that. On my Acura I have aftermarket wheels and tires and I just cant figure out if my speed is right. with this system I now know Im driving slower than I thought:shhh: When Im pushing it keeping up with the flow of traffic thinking Im doing 90mph Im only doing 87:rant2:

turbojimmy
01-05-06, 03:33 PM
Not only that. On my Acura I have aftermarket wheels and tires and I just cant figure out if my speed is right. with this system I now know Im driving slower than I thought:shhh: When Im pushing it keeping up with the flow of traffic thinking Im doing 90mph Im only doing 87:rant2:

I forgot about all that stuff. The e320 has a screen with current speed, max speed, trip duration, total time you were stopped, ETA, etc. The MPH is right on compared to the digital dash on the Caddy.

Jim

MrSmith
01-05-06, 04:59 PM
were do I get the mapguide DVD from. I cant find it anywere? Do I have to order it over the net?

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/11/12/99/61/07/1112996107580_AV1_500X500.jpg