: CA Emissions??

FastEddy
12-05-05, 08:53 PM
Does anyone know what is added to a V when it has CA emissions??

Whatever it is it cannot help performance. Just wondering if when buying I should avoid a CA emission car.

Thanks!!

Dreamin
12-05-05, 09:17 PM
:welcome: to the forum!

The V is a 50-state car... so they're all the same...

btlfed1500
12-05-05, 10:03 PM

Whatever it is it cannot help performance. Just wondering if when buying I should avoid a CA emission car.

Thanks!!

It will be a rare day that a car is now cerfied as federal or 49 state and not CA compliant ... if things keep heading down the current path "Green States" are goign to be come very previlant by 2007

FastEddy
12-05-05, 10:16 PM
Thanks! I was hoping it did not matter. :bouncy:

Luna.
12-05-05, 10:39 PM

I'm not sure my good man. :D

If you try to bring a car with the improper "number/code" (I can't recall it off the top of my head), then it won't pass smog/register in CA. I believe there is a difference, but I don't know what it is.

I discovered this as I was very seriously comtemplating purchasing a car out of state and was informed of exactly this.

btlfed1500
12-05-05, 10:42 PM
I'm not sure my good man. :D

If you try to bring a car with the improper "number/code" (I can't recall it off the top of my head), then it won't pass smog/register in CA. I believe there is a difference, but I don't know what it is.

I discovered this as I was very seriously comtemplating purchasing a car out of state and was informed of exactly this.

This is the case with some cars but not all ... you need to reference the engine family code on the emmission underhood tag and it will say the level of compliance. Very quickly you can see if the car is 50 state "california" or federal.

Luna.
12-05-05, 10:44 PM
This is the case with some cars but not all ... you need to reference the engine family code on the emmission underhood tag and it will say the level of compliance. Very quickly you can see if the car is 50 state "california" or federal.

Exactly. I don't believe that all CTS-Vs are automatically CA compliant. I was told to reference a code of sorts, not an underhood tag, but that definitely sounds reasonable. ;)

lawfive
12-06-05, 12:14 AM

Thanks!!

1. They add the inability to run with free-flow cats or catless.

2. In SoCal they add the need to run 91 octane oxygenated donkey piss gasoline.

Nothing else that I'm aware of.

Luna.
12-06-05, 12:16 AM
In SoCal they add the need to run 91 octane oxygenated donkey piss gasoline.

:histeric:

Exactly...

FastEddy
12-06-05, 01:17 PM
1. They add the inability to run with free-flow cats or catless.

2. In SoCal they add the need to run 91 octane oxygenated donkey piss gasoline.

Nothing else that I'm aware of.

So would this prevent me from adding headers and high flow cats down the road??

I have the VIS from GM on this car (which I likely will not buy, see this-

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59507 ).

The VIS lists 84/70000 california select component and 48/50000 california emissions warranty on it?

Whatever that means?

daytripper
12-06-05, 01:46 PM
All CTS-Vs have been 50 state compliant. There is no difference between a CA V and a Federal V.

Check this link to EPA's Green Vehicle Guide, that lists certification data for both CA and Federal Tier 2 standards.

http://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/

If you search the CTS, and look up the V-8 version (for 2004-'06 MYs), you can click on the 'sales map' that shows which geographic area the CTS-V was certified.

As a side note, you can see how poorly the V compares to other cars in terms of air pollution (3 out of 10), and greenhouse gas scores (4 out of 10).

Brian R.

Barak
12-06-05, 04:50 PM
As a side note, you can see how poorly the V compares to other cars in terms of air pollution (3 out of 10), and greenhouse gas scores (4 out of 10).

I wouldn't call ULEV I emissions poor. We are talking tenths of a gram/mile between the best and worst vehicles.

And the greenhouse gas thing is a bunch of crap anyway.

ewill3rd
12-06-05, 06:13 PM
The emissions decal tells you if it's CA emissions or not.
Where is the rest of that form? That's just the repair history.
I wouldn't worry about any of the items on there, just the "buyback".
That means that whoever had it hated it so much he made GM take it back. You can look over the parts replaced and try to figure out why but it would still be speculation.

The only issue with taking 48 state to CA is that it has to pass smog, that dosen't mean it has to meet CA emissions, that is a common myth. It just means that it has to meet the emissions requirements for whatever the sticker under the hood says. Which is pretty darn easy if you maintain your car at all.

These days there are very few differences between CA cars and non CA cars.
Sometimes it's gearing, or software, sometimes it's additional equipment like AIR pumps. Nowadays the differences are pretty tiny actually.
Anybody want to look at their emissions decal and post what it says?

Dreamin
12-06-05, 09:06 PM
No...really... it is a 50-state vehicle ;)
http://www.geocities.com/zeemr@sbcglobal.net/Vsmog.jpg
FastEddy: You'll have no problems bring in a V from any other state into CA. They'll look at the sticker posted above, and you're good to go. There used to be a $800+ DMV fee to register out-of-state cars in CA, but then someone sued someone and that became illegal... so no 'special' fees. Also if someone tells you that the car has to have over 7500 miles... that's does NOT apply to 50-state vehicles... only 49-state vehicles.
As far as modding a car in CA... the mod has to have a CARB-exemption # from the vendor... even if a mod passes the smog sniffer test, if will fail the 'visual' test... which says you cant install a mod without a CARB #. For example, a few CARB numbers for the Maggie are on their Home Page ( http://www.magnusonproducts.com/)

Luna: I haven't heard of a code... Buddy of mine just registered a Z06 in CA... got a smog check... went to DMV, they checked the 50-state sticker, verified the VIN vs. title and that's it.

Ewill: You're absolutely right about a 49-state car just having to pass smog... but in the case of a 49-state vehicle... the car must be a "used" vehicle, defined as having 7500+ miles on it. You cannot register a 49-state vehicle with less mileage, period.

ewill3rd
12-07-05, 08:23 AM
Dreamin, thanks for the reminder I forgot about that tidbit of info.
You are right, it has to have a certain number of miles on it.

When I moved there the 'smog impact fee' was 300 bucks.
When they changed it they had to send checks back with interest.
I think I got an extra 20 bucks back. We bought a '98 Dodge right before we moved there and we bought it with CA emissions because of the regulation you stated (mileage).

I almost took the smog certification test when I lived there but they wanted me to sit in a classroom for over 100 hours with some instructor that didn't even know what he was talking about... I took a pass on that!

heavymetals
12-07-05, 01:27 PM
I don't know why your stressing.

On a new car one has a 5 (five) year reprieve from smog certification, then it is every 2 (two) years.

By my calculations I should be into a CTS-V with an L7 just about the time it comes time to re-certify (YEAH SURE).:bigroll:

lawfive
12-07-05, 01:35 PM
So would this prevent me from adding headers and high flow cats down the road??

I have the VIS from GM on this car (which I likely will not buy, see this-

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59507 ).

The VIS lists 84/70000 california select component and 48/50000 california emissions warranty on it?

Whatever that means?

I haven't researched headers much. But free-flow cats are a no-go (at least the R/T cats... no CARB certification).

Now, this may not bother you if you don't mind swapping cats the weekend before you get your smog check. But be aware that California is looking to do a lot more in the way of random spot inspections in the future.

ewill3rd
12-07-05, 02:30 PM
Yep if you modify components like that in CA it has to have a CARB approval number mounted on it or you get in trouble.

Now I am starting to remember why I left CA... LOL!

Dreamin
12-07-05, 06:59 PM
I don't know why your stressing.

On a new car one has a 5 (five) year reprieve from smog certification, then it is every 2 (two) years.

By my calculations I should be into a CTS-V with an L7 just about the time it comes time to re-certify (YEAH SURE).:bigroll:

For 2000+ cars, no smog cert for first six years! :bouncy:

But bring any out of state car into CA, you'll need one...